Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not. The excuses for him is starting to get embarrassing.

I agree. The amount of stuff people have been posting is unreal. By large they are using the performance of the team despite of Wesley being shit, or Wesley making defensive runs, clearances or other defensive stats, to argue that he's performing well and is needed in the side. 

While a striker who can contribute defensively is very handy, it's not the primary job as a striker. Unfortunately for us Wesley is just plain shit at everything in attacking play. He can't shoot, can't head, can't drive forward with the ball, can't recieve the ball as his first touch is abysmal. He is pretty static. He is slow. He doesn't have the acceleration to get a few yards on players. He plainly is a very poor footballer, and after half a season it's becoming very clear.

Maybe he can develop on the bench and find something to excell in. But we can't afford to let him find that by first team football anymore. He will get us relegated. New striker in January is a must. 

• Like 2

Not sure why this guy gets singled out, the whole team hasn't been very good, we've lost eight games, only the bottom three have lost more and conceded more than us, and are only one point above the relegation zone for a reason, that reason being we've been one of the worst teams in the league so far. We might improve but can't take that for granted, I think it's about time we woke up and realized we're in a relegation dogfight and the whole team needs to improve to get us out of it, not just Wesley.

• Like 1

I think Wesley will double his goal tally between now and the new year, and people will quote this post and have a laugh about me being able to predict the future or something like that. Certainly with some of the fixtures coming up we should be able to create more chances for him. Will be a good chance to improve our situation, we just have to make sure we don't fall into the trap of taking it for granted that it's going to be easy just because the fixtures don't look as tough on paper.

50 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure why this guy gets singled out, the whole team hasn't been very good, we've lost eight games, only the bottom three have lost more and conceded more than us, and are only one point above the relegation zone for a reason, that reason being we've been one of the worst teams in the league so far. We might improve but can't take that for granted, I think it's about time we woke up and realized we're in a relegation dogfight and the whole team needs to improve to get us out of it, not just Wesley.

Totally agree, too many have there claret and blue glasses on and are feeling the love. I'm a realist, we need to get going, we have a squad of players better than this. Still gelling the team is gonna run out soon.

• Like 1

He wasn't good on Wednesday but once again I think title for worst player on the pitch has to go to mcginn or hourihane. Mcginn did 1 thing all game at least wesley had some alright link up play with Jack. On top of that I think mcginn should have been marking mount as it seemed like trez transfered mount to mcginn so he could mark pulisic (?). We also lacked movement almost the entire game except for that lovely passing maneuver that led to our goal.

For me deano has got to be drilling in every day pass and move drop to create space.

Again Wesley was poor but it was one of those games where suarez could have been playing for us and we still would have lost 2-1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

Our team is average with 2/3 very good players. You can make excuses all you like for your hero Wesley, but we’d be 7th/8th now with a decent striker.

If we don’t get a new striker in Jan, we may get relegated then you can kiss goodbye to Grealish, McGinn and Mings. 

We have a likeable team who all work hard and try to win every game. You can bash them all you like if it helps in your Wesley argument but every other villa fan knows we have a serious problem every time this bloke plays. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

Firstly, I think many of us are already ‘woke’ - We moved up to the PL perhaps 12 months ahead of plan and DS is desperately trying to stitch together a team from a multitude of new signings - I expected us to be in the relegation zone throughout the campaign and personally will be delighted if we finish 17th

Secondly, the whole team is improving - nobody has taken us to the cleaners, in some areas like GK and midfield I think we have players who could easily play right at the top of the PL. Unfortunately Wesley is the weak link and the one who is improving the least. 

Finally, we are four points off 9th place and you could make a strong argument that with a more effective CF we could easily be in the top half

Wesley needs a rest and with the right forward we could well finish top half

• Like 1

I'm not bashing anyone, all I've stated are facts you only have to look at the league table to see that, that same league table will also tell you that it's conceding goals that's losing us games, not a lack of scoring goals. Also any number of clubs in the division could say that if they had a decent striker they'd be in this and that position, and most of those clubs will have also scored less goals than us. Wesley isn't the main problem, we've conceded two goals or more in nine of our fifteen premier league games this season, and have dropped ten points from conceding goals in the last ten minutes of games, that's what's costing us, it doesn't matter who we have upfront we going to struggle leaking goals like that.

13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Truth is that a lot of sad words removed have a massive erection at the moment over Wesley failing.

words of wisdom confucius......If there was a Villa fan in Outer Mongolia, I would suspect he would be unhappy that Wes IS NOT doing the business.

don't confuse folks concerns about Wes.....being happy with it....That just Bolleaux.

We are all willing him to do well....but we can't do it for him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm not bashing anyone, all I've stated are facts you only have to look at the league table to see that, that same league table will also tell you that it's conceding goals that's losing us games, not a lack of scoring goals. Also any number of clubs in the division could say that if they had a decent striker they'd be in this and that position, and most of those clubs will have also scored less goals than us. Wesley isn't the main problem, we've conceded two goals or more in nine of our fifteen premier league games this season, and have dropped ten points from conceding goals in the last ten minutes of games, that's what's costing us, it doesn't matter who we have upfront we going to struggle leaking goals like that.

Agreed.

But on the other hand our inability to hold up the ball in attacking positions is causing counters and ball loss that our opponents exploit. Which in turn leads to us conceding goals.

It also forces us to chase meaning we tire earlier than our opponents and are not able to press as much as we should. Which is why I've been a bit miffed about us waiting too long with our subs or not using them at all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, useless said:

If you had a vote amongst Villa fans and asked them to name one player they would replace, Wesley would win the vote hands down

Im not worried about what other teams think or say, I’m certain that with a Maupay or Pukki type CF we would be top half by now

Finally, if we were giving teams more problems at the back, we’d be conceding less goals anyway

I’m not hating on Wesley  - it’s not his fault the he is our sole option and I believe he is trying BUT if we don’t replace him it will be an uphill struggle. I’m certain a new forward will come in during the window to ease the strain

• Like 2

3 hours ago, useless said:

I think he gets singled out, because its the most obvious, issue.....However, you are right about many others......just as one example, Trez went about 17 minutes at the start of the game without touching the ball, I had to ask the Mrs ( who is a huge supporter, nearly said Fan and didn't want to attract gags) if he was playing.....John McGinn, not sure whats happening there seems to have got the goal bug and has forgot how to get his foot in, just stands off waiting to be "Roy of the Rovers".....Mings thinks he's Beckenbaur, since his call up and his grassroots play that won him so many admirers has disappeared.

It is more than Wes, that's a problem.....and I will be surprised if a decent striker does come in, all our issues will go away....it will help no doubt.

The sooner we come to terms that we can't defend as a team.....the sooner we deal with it and get back on track of securing much needed points.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

If you had a vote amongst Villa fans and asked them to name one player they would replace, Wesley would win the vote hands down

Im not worried about what other teams think or say, I’m certain that with a Maupay or Pukki type CF we would be top half by now

Finally, if we were giving teams more problems at the back, we’d be conceding less goals anyway

I’m not hating on Wesley  - it’s not his fault the he is our sole option and I believe he is trying BUT if we don’t replace him it will be an uphill struggle. I’m certain a new forward will come in during the window to ease the strain

I think you are right there.

That's a possibility and an interesting point.....However, Goal scoring is not our main problem in terms of stats.

Our goals in the main have come from special moments in a game as opposed to game domination.....I still think we have a problem in Midfield in terms of balance i.e where is our "Henderson", someone who is physically adapted to keeping the ball and stopping the oppositions free runs.

I have not given up on Wes, but I thought his last game was one of his worst, so it doesn't look like its getting better yet.

Personally, I am more concerned or as much concerned with the basics of our pitch craft.

also.......with all the issues we have I think 4-3-3 is fanciful away from home.

I think even with a decent striker we would struggle somewhat. But as it is now we are relegation candidates.

Not the most obvious relegation candidates but still.

We are on most weeks up against better, more settled teams with more experienced managers.

Considering all the issues we've had staying up would be a big feat.

For me Wesley is the weakest link, by some margin, and that we are reliant on him is a failure by the club. Not saying it was as easy as just buying another striker in the summer, but it is costing us.

We need an upgrade in January, even if Wesley starts finding his form and develops.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

words of wisdom confucius......If there was a Villa fan in Outer Mongolia, I would suspect he would be unhappy that Wes IS NOT doing the business.

don't confuse folks concerns about Wes.....being happy with it....That just Bolleaux.

We are all willing him to do well....but we can't do it for him.

I know plenty of fans here are just genuinely concerned about his progress.

But there is a hint with a few of wanting to be the first ones to call it - three games in and "Wesley will be a flop, you mark my words" kind of attitude. I think football fans turn on players far too quickly. We have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

Dean Smith watched this lad at Brugge and starts him every single week for Villa. So when people are looking around for his playing strengths and trying to find examples of his contribution, it isn't us making "excuses" for him, it's us trying to work out what Smith's thinking is. Smith is not a stupid man, and nor is he afraid to switch things up, so I don't buy the idea that DS has just completely ****ed up this signing and is now sticking to his guns because he spent £22m on him.

Strikers come in all shapes and sizes. You don't need to be good in the air, or fast, or able to skin a defender in a one-on-one, or able to pluck the ball out of the sky with your eyes closed. You do obviously need to have something about you, but there are plenty of strikers who have built successful top flight careers around a very limited skillset.

I agree things are looking a bit bleak at the moment, but it is possible that Wesley will just be one of those players who is awful to watch, but somehow delivers the goods. And no, that isn't an "excuse" - he could also end up being a flop. I'd just rather call it at the end of the season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Even if he ends up with 4 scored goals in December, I am willing to bet all of those would be tap ins the team put on a plate for him. I'm yet to see any signs that he has the ability to create something for himself. 

So what if they're only tap ins?

• Like 3

Â