Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Oh nah, I fully admit I'm taking enjoyment in this. But I wouldn't be if people weren't so ridiculously adamant in trying to defend him, thinking up increasingly contrived defences(False 9 stuff despite having only 1 assist in what is, 1500 minutes? and I swear him being somehow important to our build up is a myth, but there isn't any stat to easily disprove it) and searching for increasingly obscure stats(seriously, third fastest sprint speed?) to somehow defend the fact that he's good when anyone should be able to see with their own eyes how inept he is at being a striker at the moment. So yeah, I do enjoy the fact that he's been presenting more and more evidence at how terrible he is as I get to in effect, rub it in people's faces on here. 

Doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy it much more of Wesley kicks off and and becomes amazing for us though. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm so done with these types of strikers. Just big and strong lamp posts that doesn't offer anything.

What we need is someone like Maupay. A mobile striker that will run the channels and make intelligent runs in the box.

Are you Maupay agent? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Truth is that a lot of sad words removed have a massive erection at the moment over Wesley failing.

Get back to the Mings thread with your insults please. You've got to contain them in one thread or you'll be unbearable.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Iheanacho and Kean are miles and miles better than him though.

They've hardly had any minutes, and when they have, even when not playing well, you can see they can control and kick the ball 90% of the time. Wes needs 4 passes into him to trap it once.

The market is silly at the moment yes I agree. It's certainly not his fault he cost £22m. If he was £2m, maybe there would be less frustration?

I will say though I genuinely can't believe how bad he is. If he was a punt from league 2 for £500k I'd be disappointed because he looks like he can't play football.

How on earth has £22m been agreed? Has he gone off a cliff during the summer? Maybe he's the sole player at Villa who has managed to go backwards under Smith.

Iheanacho went for £25m 2 years ago. Accomplished absolutely nothing for club and country since then. Kean has looked as much of a carthorse as Wes and he hasn't scored yet to boot.

Forget the strikers of similar price, we have 2 £40m strikers who are doing as bad if not worse than Wesley. Joelinton has been absolutely abysmal, 1 goal in 15 and probably hasn't trapped a football since Spurs away, and Haller has looked like a Wesley clone recently despite starting the season brightly. 

Of all the new strikers this season, only Mousset and Maupay have done better than Wes, and Pukki I guess if you count him. It's really not easy to find a striker from another league who can hit the ground running in the PL, doubly so for £22m. Unless they're an extraordinary latent talent like Benteke, it'll take some time. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Iheanacho went for £25m 2 years ago. Accomplished absolutely nothing for club and country since then. Kean has looked as much of a carthorse as Wes and he hasn't scored yet to boot.

Forget the strikers of similar price, we have 2 £40m strikers who are doing as bad if not worse than Wesley. Joelinton has been absolutely abysmal, 1 goal in 15 and probably hasn't trapped a football since Spurs away, and Haller has looked like a Wesley clone recently despite starting the season brightly. 

Of all the new strikers this season, only Mousset and Maupay have done better than Wes, and Pukki I guess if you count him. It's really not easy to find a striker from another league who can hit the ground running in the PL, doubly so for £22m. Unless they're an extraordinary latent talent like Benteke, it'll take some time. 

Fair enough, I disagree.

All those players to me have shown a few times, some more, that they can play football. Haller would be so good for us, he's exactly what we need in that sort of target man that drops a bit deeper role.

The only comparison I have for Wes is Gestede and Bowery who the ball used to absolutely bounce off like a wall when they tried to control it. Bowery jumps to mind more because Wes does work hard running down defenders and that's all Bowery ever did "well".

Agree with bold bit. Though we don't need someone to hit the ground running. It'd be great obviously, but just some good performances and some hope of development would be good. He looks truly terrible, there's just nothing to work with, and I'm gutted about it. Need to stop starting threads, think my last two have been Wes and bloody Kalinic.

Question for those who think Wes is useless at this level, and especially those calling for a Kodjia call up..

In the build up that led to Trez's goal against Chelsea..

Do we not see Wes' play a basic but effective one two with Grealish, that allowed for continuation of possession and made the defense think twice?

Do we not see Wes' then position himself to be on the end of the cross when it comes in from the wide position? He nearly gets on the end of it.

Fortunately Trez did and we're back at game on, but that was a somewhat decent moment for Wes in a game that we were largely on the back foot for.

That's what I'm talking about when I say he has a sense of when and how to play a role. Which is a very handy asset to have when you're settling in.

Unselfish and far from spectacular but he was as much an influence in that goal as Grealish, in my opinion.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Fair enough, I disagree.

All those players to me have shown a few times, some more, that they can play football. Haller would be so good for us, he's exactly what we need in that sort of target man that drops a bit deeper role.

The only comparison I have for Wes is Gestede and Bowery who the ball used to absolutely bounce off like a wall when they tried to control it. Bowery jumps to mind more because Wes does work hard running down defenders and that's all Bowery ever did "well".

Agree with bold bit. Though we don't need someone to hit the ground running. It'd be great obviously, but just some good performances and some hope of development would be good. He looks truly terrible, there's just nothing to work with, and I'm gutted about it. Need to stop starting threads, think my last two have been Wes and bloody Kalinic.

There was the Everton game. That showed me he has it in him. I don't know why he hasn't kicked on since then but he still hasn't seemed to figure out that first touch. It ruins the rest of his game. Wish we had a striker version of John Terry at the club to teach him how to position against PL defenders. If he can sort out that first touch, the rest of his game will improve immeasurably. He's actually a great passer and our play can be so much more fluid if he gets the ball under control quicker to set us on our way. As long as Deano is keeping the faith, so will I.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

There was the Everton game. That showed me he has it in him. I don't know why he hasn't kicked on since then but he still hasn't seemed to figure out that first touch. It ruins the rest of his game. Wish we had a striker version of John Terry at the club to teach him how to position against PL defenders. If he can sort out that first touch, the rest of his game will improve immeasurably. He's actually a great passer and our play can be so much more fluid if he gets the ball under control quicker to set us on our way. As long as Deano is keeping the faith, so will I.

He doesn't have to morph into Benteke, he just has to raise his level up from terrible, and we'll improve so much as a team.

Give it to us Wes!

• Like 2

Why is Wesley being so harshly judged after arguably the hardest 6 game run we'll have all season?

Man City A 2nd best home defence

Liverpool H

Wolves A

Newcastle H

Man U A 8th best home defence (We are =3rd (7 games) best home defence)

Chelsea A =3rd (8 games) best home defence

Edited by Kiwivillan

6 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Question for those who think Wes is useless at this level, and especially those calling for a Kodjia call up..

In the build up that led to Trez's goal against Chelsea..

Do we not see Wes' play a basic but effective one two with Grealish, that allowed for continuation of possession and made the defense think twice?

Do we not see Wes' then position himself to be on the end of the cross when it comes in from the wide position? He nearly gets on the end of it.

Fortunately Trez did and we're back at game on, but that was a somewhat decent moment for Wes in a game that we were largely on the back foot for.

That's what I'm talking about when I say he has a sense of when and how to play a role. Which is a very handy asset to have when you're settling in.

Unselfish and far from spectacular but he was as much an influence in that goal as Grealish, in my opinion.

I don’t know how far in the move you are going back but if Wesley was involved with his ‘basic but effective one-two’ it was way back and a long time before the cross was engineered (when Wesley was in the box and failed to get his head to a simple cross for which he was clear favourite)

I don’t buy into the ‘Wesley is completely useless’ camp - he has shown improvement (not every game) - but he is such a long way from what we require and lacks many of the necessary tools

No Pace - No trick - No 1 v 1 ability - No Shot - No heading ability - No predatory instinct - Goes down unnecessarily.

i truly believe that if we had a Maupay or Pukki type CF we would be top half

We will definitely bring in another striker in the window and from then on Wesley’s game time will be extremely limited 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I don’t know how far in the move you are going back but if Wesley was involved with his ‘basic but effective one-two’ it was way back and a long time before the cross was engineered (when Wesley was in the box and failed to get his head to a simple cross for which he was clear favourite)

I don’t buy into the ‘Wesley is completely useless’ camp - he has shown improvement (not every game) - but he is such a long way from what we require and lacks many of the necessary tools

No Pace - No trick - No 1 v 1 ability - No Shot - No heading ability - No predatory instinct - Goes down unnecessarily.

i truly believe that if we had a Maupay or Pukki type CF we would be top half

We will definitely bring in another striker in the window and from then on Wesley’s game time will be extremely limited 

Agree with all of this. Wesley definitely didn’t start that move, it was Grealish who started that move from a creative perspective.

That being said, I don’t think Wesley is as bad as some have made him out to be but he is still so far off what’s currently required.

Edited by The Hawk

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

This is how bad it is for some fans.

Wesley string together a couple of passes and suddenly he's played a decent game.

Truly shocking how low the bar is for certain fans.

Or could it be that you are misinterpreting what other people are posting (again)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

Haller, Kean, Cutrone, Joelinton, Maupay cost over 100 million between them and neither have more goals than him. Throw in Martial, King, Jota as well who have less goals

I genuinely dont know what people are expecting, 22 million doesnt get you a top striker anymore

I don’t think anyone is expecting him to be a top striker. We just want him to control the ball. 

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t think anyone is expecting him to be a top striker. We just want him to control the ball. 

I want him to stop dropping deep and start getting into the damn box. He's a striker ffs

Edited by villalad21

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Truth is that a lot of sad words removed have a massive erection at the moment over Wesley failing.

This is just ridiculous.

It's just frustrating to know we have no-one else and have to rely on Wesley, who is completely over his head.

I'm not sure about buying someone in January, how often does that work? But we're in a situation where we may have to take a major risk.

Â