RasenBallsport Leipzig (Aug 3)

limpid

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

ah feck the noses have won !

At Brentford?......We have never won there have we?

little bit, for them to nibble on, tonight.

Edited by TRO

We scored 3 goals without really creating many chances. Maybe when Luiz and nakamba settle in we may turn the ball over and attack more. Also I thought we needed to be a bit quicker and more fluid with the passing. 

However, good result and gives me confidence we won't get relegated this year.

• Like 1

First look at Villa this season as I watched most of the game.

The way transfer fees are going Jota and Heaton look excellent signings and the back four were comfortable on the ball.

Really the only signing I'm not sure of yet is Wesley who looked short of the quality needed to be the figurehead of a team hoping to compete and survive in the Premier League. First touch not great while his movement needs to dramatically improve.

Kodjia looked much more dangerous in his cameo but it's only one game so hopefully Wesley will get better with more time on the pitch.

However, it would be wise to purchase another forward as Hogan won't cut it and Davis might be on his way?

Edited by striker

16 minutes ago, striker said:

First look at Villa this season as I watched most of the game.

The way transfer fees are going Jota and Heaton look excellent signings and the back four were comfortable on the ball.

Really the only signing I'm not sure of yet is Wesley who looked short of the quality needed to be the figurehead of a team hoping to compete and survive in the Premier League. First touch not great while his movement needs to dramatically improve.

Kodjia looked much more dangerous in his cameo but it's only one game so hopefully Wesley will get better with more time on the pitch.

However, it would be wise to purchase another forward as Hogan won't cut it and Davis might be on his way?

I think we do need another striker.....however, Targett would be my doubt, but hey....we are commenting too early, they have to settle in.

I think Heaton was an inspired signing and will prove to steady the ship.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Pleased with the result, but felt we looked a bit off the pace for long spells. Trying to be optimistic, I’ll put it down to players bedding in etc. Heaton will win us at least 10 points on his own this season, that save from the header was outstanding.

Edited by Woody1000
  • Like 1

TBH, we were poor for the first ~60 minutes.  Heaton kept us in the game.  After that point, space started to open up and we were allowed to attack/play the way we want to.  

MOM: Heaton

Positives:

• Heaton is top class.  Will win us so many points on his own this season.
  • Mings/Engels look like they're forming a good partnership.  Mings is the real deal and I can't wait for him to absolutely demolish some Premier League strikers this season.  He was also unlucky to not get on the scoresheet.
  • Hourihane's free kicks are brilliant.
  • For only playing together a month, our squad seems to be bedding in well.  Can't wait for ~October when everyone is fully integrated into Smithball.

Negatives:

• Just like last season, we struggle against teams who press us all over the pitch and don't let us get time on the ball.  It seems like every game we play a team who presses/tackles us before we have time on the ball goes like this one...  We struggle to create anything for the first 60 minutes of the game, then once several members of the opposition pick up yellow cards and start to tire from the extensive pressing, we have a half spell to play our way to find the goals we need.  
  • El Ghazi's Injury...  Doesn't look good.  He limped off, but he was in some serious pain.  Hope it's not torn ligaments.  
  • We need another winger more than we need another striker...  Kodjia will be a fine back up, but if any of our 3 wide players get injured and one of the others struggle to adapt to Premier League football, we'll be hurting.

Overall, I love what Smith has done so far.  He's built basically a brand new team within a month, got them all playing on the same wavelength after a short period of time, and early signs point to this being a team which can avoid the relegation zone.  The proof will be in the pudding, as they say, but I've never looked forward to a season starting this much ever before.  It really feels like were on the path to something special right now!

44 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Pleased with the result, but felt we looked a bit off the pace for long spells. Trying to be optimistic, I’ll put it down to players bedding in etc. Heaton will win us at least 10 points on his own this season, that save from the header was outstanding.

We struggled for the first 50 minutes mainly because Leipzig are an extremely good side who finished 3rd in bundesliga and are in the CL pressed us to within an inch of our lives and gave us no time on the ball.

Leipzigs pressing was a thing of beauty and only a handful of teams in the prem will be able to press like they did, the fact we didn't get rolled over in those first 50 minutes was a success in its own right, it was a real test.

Once Leipzig tired a bit and we got more time on the ball we ran the show in the last 30 minutes.

Was a hard game against high class opposition who treated it like it wasn't a friendly.

I would have been happy with a draw if I'm honest, I think a win flattered us a little bit, but regardless we did well overall.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

one thing i will say, if you look at the goal and the amazing save from Heaton, both came from crosses from the left, and when the ball went in to the right (left side from the goalkeepers perspective), all the villa players had drifted towards the ball and there was acres of space in the centre and centre right of the box, thats needs sorting asap, if we leave that much space from a cross in the prem we will get in trouble.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

We struggled for the first 50 minutes mainly because Leipzig are an extremely good side who finished 3rd in bundesliga and are in the CL pressed us to within an inch of our lives and gave us no time on the ball.

Leipzigs pressing was a thing of beauty and only a handful of teams in the prem will be able to press like they did, the fact we didn't get rolled over in those first 50 minutes was a success in its own right, it was a real test.

Once Leipzig tired a bit and we got more time on the ball we ran the show in the last 30 minutes.

Was a hard game against high class opposition who treated it like it wasn't a friendly.

I would have been happy with a draw if I'm honest, I think a win flattered us a little bit, but regardless we did well overall.

Best defence in the Bundesleague last season, we just put 3 past them.

Just now, MNVillan said:

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but what type of side did Leipzig put out today? Did they play most of their starting XI like we seem to have done?

Pretty much. They were definitely ‘up for it’ too

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hippo said:

???

Our best player in that 45 IMO.

I stand by this. Didn't say he was poor, just I am concerned about him - he is very good mostly, sometimes outstanding. Mostly solid today, but he gets sloppy - was at fault for our first goal (lost his man), is sometimes quite laid back (I think its his personality) and lost a return ball in a dangerous position in the first, and almost got caught in possession a couple of times today. Errors get punished at PL level.

Just saying he needs to be at his best, he has a huge responsibility. Hoping he will live up to that mantle, he could be a very good player.

Â