Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I get the opponent considering proximity is an issue. Here's hoping they are as afraid of injuries as we should be.

Rival teams and "friendlies" is usually a terrible idea.

I wonder what changes Dean Smith will make to the starting line up, he said he's studied the videos and knows what mistakes we've made. Would be interesting if he persists with 3-5-1 or reverts to 4 at the back.

Wouldn't mind us playing 4-4-2 with Davis and Samatta, Nakamba holding. We played well with Mings and Engels as CB pairing.

Edited by supermon
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It is isn’t it? A stupid, little 10 game season (the fact that not everyone plays the same number of games adds to the nonsense). The rules are different, there is no home advantage, and the fixture list is more hectic than a World Cup.  it’s just farce.

I suspect they will play enough to get everyone on the same number of games, Liverpool to win the title and get a vote in to get a concrete way of deciding the season on points per game.  If we get all the games in I'll be surprised.  Doing it fairly and looking after players' welfare don't really seem to matter that much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, supermon said:

I wonder what changes Dean Smith will make to the starting line up, he said he's studied the videos and knows what mistakes we've made. Would be interesting if he persists with 3-5-1 or reverts to 4 at the back.

Wouldn't mind us playing 4-4-2 with Davies and Samatta, Nakamba holding. We played well with Mings and Engels as CB pairing.

Who would you play on the flanks?

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Three of McGinn, Grealish and El Ghazi in the middle. I mean we haven't really been great at whipping anything into the box, was thinking Davis to provide hold up play whilst the rest join in for attack.

Full backs, elmo or Fred and Target

Concern would obviously be pressure on defence.

Edited by supermon

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I suspect they will play enough to get everyone on the same number of games, Liverpool to win the title and get a vote in to get a concrete way of deciding the season on points per game.  If we get all the games in I'll be surprised.  Doing it fairly and looking after players' welfare don't really seem to matter that much.

That’s an interesting thought that I hadn’t had: Just play til Liverpool won and then relegate the bottom three, sounds like the PL so it wouldn’t surprise me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, supermon said:

Three of McGinn, Grealish and El Ghazi in the middle. I mean we haven't really been great at whipping anything into the box, was thinking Davis to provide hold up play whilst the rest join in for attack.

Full backs, elmo or Fred and Target

Concern would obviously be pressure on defence.

I meant in a 4-4-2. Our wide options are not great to say the least.

We've actually hit quite a lot of crosses it's just that Wes was never in the box so it was all a bit futile.

24 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah that's how I see it ending up.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

I meant in a 4-4-2. Our wide options are not great to say the least.

We've actually hit quite a lot of crosses it's just that Wes was never in the box so it was all a bit futile.

Probably El Ghazi and Grealish with the full backs overlapping, McGinn in the middle

Just now, supermon said:

Probably El Ghazi and Grealish with the full backs overlapping, McGinn in the middle

Fear we would be easily overrun in midfield while also be exposed on the flanks if our full backs pushed forward.

Think our squad is poorly suited to play 4-4-2. But who know, we've been pretty dismal in the other formations we've tried too.

Four games in ten days is mental after two months of inactivity. 

So who are the fittest Villa players? Mings, Grealish, Davis?

We're going to see alot of our squad over these four games and it is a dilemma how it is managed.

Surely we have to start off with our strongest team and try to hit the ground running? However we might run out of steam quickly and get picked off later in the game like earlier in the season. 

Gulp.

The North West’s R number has now risen above 1, the M.E.N. can reveal, meaning it now has the highest rate of Covid transmission in the country.

Scientists from the Public Health England and Cambridge University have been tracking how the virus spreads - a number known as the ‘R’ value - throughout the pandemic and their latest analysis now shows every region hovering just below or just above the crucial 1 figure, the government’s crucial measure of whether the disease is under control.

It shows the North West now running above that at 1.01, up from 0.73 a few weeks ago when the data was last released and higher than anywhere else.

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Gulp.

Interesting in the vast majority of country the figure is still 0.7-0.9 despite all the beach gatherings and protests in last few days.

Wasn't it up to 3 in early March? Probably shows what an impact mass gatherings like Cheltenham, football games and regular gigs all had on the next six weeks and why none of that will be having people back for a pretty long time.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Interesting in the vast majority of country the figure is still 0.7-0.9 despite all the beach gatherings and protests in last few days.

Wasn't it up to 3 in early March? Probably shows what an impact mass gatherings like Cheltenham, football games and regular gigs all had on the next six weeks and why none of that will be having people back for a pretty long time.

Yes theres evidence its gone up in all regions which proves  the relaxation of lockdown measures has come too soon as well as the damage the govt have done over Cummings

1 hour ago, sne said:

I don’t think we’ve got good enough players to play with out & out “wide men”. Neither ElGhazi or Trezeguet have looked remotely capable of producing either enough crosses or goals in the Premier League. For me we have to try something different, and that would be trying to utilise Keinan Davis as the focal point up front with Samatta playing off him. So something more 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1. Whichever, ive convinced myself we have to go with a midfield 4 of Grealish, McGinn, Nakamba, Drinkwater. Disciplined midfield. Yes it looks a narrower midfield on paper, but we were getting nowhere near enough wide service from ElGhazi or Trezeguet, either going forwards or backwards.  I think that with Nakamba & Drinkwater sitting more disciplined, we could get our fullbacks moving forward at the right times. My focus upon restart would be to win more possession of the ball and concede noticeably less chances per game than we were doing.