Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I wonder if we use that in our tactics.....maybe start with some players that pull them around first half and then fresh legs second half.  Save McGinn and Samatta for second half so they are fresh, and then with McGinn's running capacity and Samatta nicking in capacity when the midfielders and defenders are tired or suffering slight strains.

Interesting. I favour bringing on 3 extra defenders at half time in our first four games myself, in order to protect our three goal leads! :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Interesting in the vast majority of country the figure is still 0.7-0.9 despite all the beach gatherings and protests in last few days.

Wasn't it up to 3 in early March? Probably shows what an impact mass gatherings like Cheltenham, football games and regular gigs all had on the next six weeks and why none of that will be having people back for a pretty long time.

Interesting to see when symptoms show over the coming days or week from those beach gatherings and protests how that affects R or not.  Worrying that new cases is remaining fairly flat and 3 out of the last 4 days still has well above 300 deaths per day.  Only the second country to hit 40k of deaths.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Interesting to see when symptoms show over the coming days or week from those beach gatherings and protests how that affects R or not.  Worrying that new cases is remaining fairly flat and 3 out of the last 4 days still has well above 300 deaths per day.  Only the second country to hit 40k of deaths.

Yes its all very worrying. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I don’t think we’ve got good enough players to play with out & out “wide men”. Neither ElGhazi or Trezeguet have looked remotely capable of producing either enough crosses or goals in the Premier League. For me we have to try something different, and that would be trying to utilise Keinan Davis as the focal point up front with Samatta playing off him. So something more 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1. Whichever, ive convinced myself we have to go with a midfield 4 of Grealish, McGinn, Nakamba, Drinkwater. Disciplined midfield. Yes it looks a narrower midfield on paper, but we were getting nowhere near enough wide service from ElGhazi or Trezeguet, either going forwards or backwards.  I think that with Nakamba & Drinkwater sitting more disciplined, we could get our fullbacks moving forward at the right times. My focus upon restart would be to win more possession of the ball and concede noticeably less chances per game than we were doing. 

How in earth could you justify playing the waste if skin that is drinkwater. In the games he has played he has been our worst player. Personally I think our Midfield is too small and weak to have a chance to be good defensively. We need to go out and score. Which we will be doing better now that mcginn is back so long as he stays in the middle more frequently than he did at the start of the season so he is an option for whoever has the ball.

I also think El Ghazi is the player who is most likely to create a goal outside of Grealish and mcginn and not playing him really hurts us at basically leaves it so that opposing teams only have 1 player to focus on (2 with mcginn back) because if el ghazi gets the ball enough he can make something happen we just need to be getting it to him in decent positions. 

43 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

How in earth could you justify playing the waste if skin that is drinkwater. In the games he has played he has been our worst player. Personally I think our Midfield is too small and weak to have a chance to be good defensively. We need to go out and score. Which we will be doing better now that mcginn is back so long as he stays in the middle more frequently than he did at the start of the season so he is an option for whoever has the ball.

I also think El Ghazi is the player who is most likely to create a goal outside of Grealish and mcginn and not playing him really hurts us at basically leaves it so that opposing teams only have 1 player to focus on (2 with mcginn back) because if el ghazi gets the ball enough he can make something happen we just need to be getting it to him in decent positions. 

ElGhazi has 4 goals and 4 assists in the Premier League this season,  2 of those assists coming in a 5-1 away win at Norwich, and one of the goals being the late consolation in a 6-1 home defeat against Man City. Context is important. So when you take the Norwich game out of the equation ElGhazi has two assists all season. That’s clearly nowhere near good enough for the position and role he has played. I thought he’d be much better than he has proven to be thus far. Also worth noting that the consolation goal against ManCity in mid January is his only goal or assist in the league since the ManUtd game on December 1st. Maybe he’s a fair weather player? If so then we might see much improved stats during these forthcoming summer games? 

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Only 12 days left

Still can't get my head around it.

I know I agree, given where we are it's just plain stupid to start already!  Glad you've come around 😉

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

Aren't you a tad bit excited ?

No.  

I love and get excited by football, this farce isn’t football.

Football with fans won’t be back with fans for a long time so I’m ok with BCD for the foreseeable future but this, what they are putting up for the rest of the season, isn’t football....never mind all the other arguments against it....the show they are about to put on isn’t football.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No.  

Football with fans won’t be back with fans for a long time so I’m ok with BCD for the foreseeable future but this, what they are putting up for the rest of the season, isn’t football....never mind all the other arguments against it....the show they are about to put on isn’t football.

That's how I feel too.

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No.  

U13 doesn't have "fans" either.A few parents attending maybe. But not fans in the sense of what I think you are referring to.

Is that not football then?

I can’t wait to watch Villa again. I know it’s all a farce... but whenever I see Villa I get excited. Even stupid preseason friendlies and even our U23s. So I actually can’t wait to start again (even though it is stupid and we shouldn’t even be considering starting at the moment). Very ambivalent about the whole thing.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Provisional fixture list for restart has us playing 3 of the first 4 games at “home”. Sheffield Utd, Chelsea, Wolves. An “away” tie at Newcastle. We’ve got to be quite happy with that, haven’t we?! I particularly fancy us to beat Newcastle early into the restart. If we get ourselves 100% as ready as is humanly possible for the restart, we could go a long way to safety within 8 days of the restart. Honestly think there’s wins in these opening few games if lessons have been learned. UTV

We need to beat Sheffield Utd and get at least a point v Chelsea to get out of the bottom three for when Liverpool win the league and they scrap it so the players can get themselves all nice and dandy ready for the start of the next season mid-August. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

U13 doesn't have "fans" either.A few parents attending maybe. But not fans in the sense of what I think you are referring to.

Is that not football then?

That’s like comparing a top musical artist’s gig compared to my 10 year old nephew’s guitar solo in the annual school musical recital.....both music but very different and you know it.

43 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That’s like comparing a top musical artist’s gig compared to my 10 year old nephew’s guitar solo in the annual school musical recital.....both music but very different and you know it.

It's different but it's still football. We will still get excited when we score goals and win games.

It not being as good doesn't mean it's not football.

49 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Use the block button.  Your life will feel so much calmer.  It's done me the world of good. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I can’t wait to watch Villa again. I know it’s all a farce... but whenever I see Villa I get excited. Even stupid preseason friendlies and even our U23s. So I actually can’t wait to start again (even though it is stupid and we shouldn’t even be considering starting at the moment). Very ambivalent about the whole thing.

Great use of the word ambivalent, I love that word!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I did & then thought I'd been a bit hasty & unblocked.  Realize now I wasn't  hasty at all.

Problem fixed !!

Welcome to the club, Ive heard it is the biggest AVFC supporter club in existence.

• Like 3