Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

57 minutes ago, eholm said:

Problem is, across the whole season the Spurs type performance have been the exception and have not garnered us many points. 

West Ham fams could say the same abour last night. That was not a usual performance for them 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Last night serves as a warning that at some point, our rivals will pick up points when we least expect it. Or just in the easier fixtures they have. Either way, we’re looking increasingly f******.

West Ham played well last night but got nothing for it. They are where they are because they deserve to be. All the teams round us including ourselves have had this kind of performance at some time but it means nothing. Nobody's too good to go down and despite their team West Ham are a poor side and they probably will go down. They have a difficult run in too and there is nothing to suggest that they will improve sufficiently to survive. Ask their fans if you don't believe me. You think WE can be toxic??

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I get all the doom around at the moment but if you had said to me at the start of the season that by the start of March we would be outside the relegation zone and playing in a cup final I think I'd have taken that. 

We are a newly promoted team who have had to try to get an entirely new team to gel. On top of that we preform really well on new year's day only for our keeper and main striker to be ruled out for the season. Add to that our driving force in midfield out for months too. Would Liverpool be where there are right now of they played half the season without Allison, Firminho and Winaldum?

It does sound better than it is though, we are 1 point outside the relegation with the worst defence in the division by far and don't look like beating anybody currently. Cup final will be a good day out but its more likely to be 8-0 city than us nicking a win.

But on the flip side if we somehow beat city and manage to stay up we will be playing European football in our second season in the prem. 

1 minute ago, holteend1982 said:

But on the flip side if we somehow beat city and manage to stay up we will be playing European football in our second season in the prem. 

Now that's better isn't it? See, a bit of positive thinking and everyone feels better?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

It does sound better than it is though, we are 1 point outside the relegation with the worst defence in the division by far and don't look like beating anybody currently. Cup final will be a good day out but its more likely to be 8-0 city than us nicking a win.

Worst defence based on stats, and then ‘don’t look like beating anybody currently’, completely opinion based.

You’re making it sound worse than it is. People said the same before the Burnley game.

• Like 2

The goals against is alarming. We lost by the odd goal in every game we lost until we player Leicester. Since then defensively we’ve been shocking. Then again in a lot of games it did seem like it was a matter of time before we got some beatings such were the chances teams were creating against us. 

Id like to see the team go back to 4 at the back eventually with Mings and Engels the centre half pairing.  Whether that should be against City I’m not so sure!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

Worst defence based on stats, and then ‘don’t look like beating anybody currently’, completely opinion based.

You’re making it sound worse than it is. People said the same before the Burnley game.

What's it supposed to be based on? We've conceded the most goals, made the most errors leading to goals, conceded the most from set pieces, kept the least amount of clean sheets and face the most shots against per game. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Worst by one goal is 'by far'? 

• Like 3

We were conceding two goal most games right up until we changed to three at the back, from then on, Man City game aside we stopped conceding so many goals, it's only these past three games that we've started conceding again, but I'd be wary of changing back to a four man defence as overall three at the back has worked well for us, even if you look at the last three defeats on another day we could have easily got draws out of the Tottenham and Bournemouth games. I don't think it will help us at all to just keep changing the system every time we have a few bad results.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

What's it supposed to be based on? We've conceded the most goals, made the most errors leading to goals, conceded the most from set pieces, kept the least amount of clean sheets and face the most shots against per game. 

Stats.

My point was around your 'we don't look like beating anybody' / 'we're doomed' opinion

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

We've conceded the most goals, made the most errors leading to goals, conceded the most from set pieces, kept the least amount of clean sheets and face the most shots against per game. 

And yet we are in 17th position!

24 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

We've conceded the most goals, made the most errors leading to goals, conceded the most from set pieces, kept the least amount of clean sheets and face the most shots against per game. 

We have, however we are scoring. I'm a lot happier with this season compared to our last in the PL. I would guess (I haven't checked) that we had conceded probably less at this stage in the 2015/16 season. However, that was just dire going in the other direction, we never looked like scoring in that season. At least this time we are putting them in at the other end and that makes me optimistic that we can get out of trouble.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Had a dream last night that I played for Villa in the final and scored the winner in a 1-0 win. When going up to lift the trophy it dawned on me just how huge it was. I etched myself into the history books. First trophy for 24 years. There are grown ass people who are of grad school age who weren't even alive the last time Villa have won a major trophy. A win on Sunday would be monumental, even if we went down. You don't get any additions to your cabinet for finishing 17th.

Don't torture me. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

The only thing that matters is this part and we've conceded one more goal than Norwich. 

We've scored more goals than Watford, Norwich, Newcastle, Palace, Bournemouth, Sheffield United, West Ham, Brighton and Burnley.

We've had more shots than Newcastle, Palace, West Ham, Burnley, Sheffield United, Bournemouth, Arsenal, Watford, Norwich and Spurs.

We've had more shots on target than Watford, Newcastle, Sheffield United, Palace, Bournemouth, Burnley, Norwich, Arsenal, Brighton and Wolves.

We've made more tackles than Bournemouth, Man City and Burnley.

We're 1st for amount of blocks made in the league.

We're joint 2nd in the league (with Arsenal) for 'Clearances off the line', only bettered by Newcastle.

We're 6th for most saves, with only Newcastle, Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal and Norwich keepers saving more.

Some of these stats might not put us in a great light (ie: making more tackles than Man City is because they have the majority of the possession so don't need to make tackles), but when comparing us to other teams around us, our defence may be worse (based on some stats), but our attacking is also better (based on other stats).

To anyone doom and gloom based on those 'worst' stats.. Try not to rely completely on being spoon-fed stats by Sky Sports, and use your own brains for a change. :thumb:

• Like 4