Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Thought West Ham's GD would take a hammering from these two games.

Still 2 better than ours which will be a problem if it's the same going into the last day and we're not a point clear of them...

I get the feeling they'll beat Southampton on Saturday. Can see with Southampton very close to being safe now their incredible away form will tail off now and their home form will pick up a bit now.

59 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This is what does my head in about Villa social media. Everyone just takes the most pessimistic option by default, and aren't even consistent in how they apply their pessimism.

Would've helped if the players didn't perform like the world was against them from the very 1st minute at Southampton. I think from how poor we are you can only conclude the Spurs defeat did have a massive impact.

I think West Ham will take heart from their good attacking threat v Liverpool. They must've won the most corners from any visiting team at Anfield this season and scored from one.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Would've helped if the players didn't perform like the world was against them from the very 1st minute at Southampton. I think from how poor we are you can only conclude the Spurs defeat did have a massive impact.

I think West Ham will take heart from their good attacking threat v Liverpool. They must've won the most corners from any visiting team at Anfield this season and scored from one.

We've had similar games against Palace, Wolves, Sheffield United and Bournemouth away. Also first half against Brighton. We just can't handle those kinds of games for some reason. Maybe we're not mentally strong enough I don't know. It's been like this for at least a decade, even when we were one of the big boys in the Championship. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We've had similar games against Palace, Wolves, Sheffield United and Bournemouth away. Also first half against Brighton. We just can't handle those kinds of games for some reason. Maybe we're not mentally strong enough I don't know. It's been like this for at least a decade, even when we were one of the big boys in the Championship. 

Cascarino in the Times today was saying he finds us a weird team to watch (obviously as an ex player he'd be seeing us a decent amount compared to many pundits who never played for us). Constantly can't believe the lack of intensity/focus we have at start of away matches and he's right.

In the last four months the only two away games we've come flying out of the blocks were Burnley which was our most dominant away half since Norwich in the first half there and oddly Man. United when we were bang on it from the first minute and could've easily scored three there. All the others we've been miles off, conceded early and then it's a massive uphill struggle.

Going back to our early games we scored early at Norwich and strolled to victory and played really well first half at Arsenal and Spurs before flagging (Palace was another fo forget but I think we could've dug out a 0-0 if we'd kept 11 on the pitch).

Not sure what gets said in the dressing room ten minutes before kick off but we simply don't look up to the task required so often on the road.

• Like 3

I cheered for Liverpool as if I was a Plop fan. I watched it out with some friends who supports them. I cheered the goals even more than them. I felt ashamed of myself but it felt as if I'm supporting Villa. I kept saying (C'mon Villa). lol

We'll still keep supporting Plop for another two weeks.

I think the results so far could give us a chance to focus on the cup final next week, I think we should try and win it and put all of our focus there. With the hope of all (West Ham, Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton and Newcastle) losing. It could ease pressure while hopefully doing good at Wembley before getting back to the relegation fight.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

FWIW if we win the cup Sunday a big IF but I genuinely would consider this season a success even if we go down

I wouldn't PL survival is everything much rather lose the cup and stay up 100%, going down would set us back 2 years! Imagine Europa league football on top of a busy championship schedule.

Had a dream last night that I played for Villa in the final and scored the winner in a 1-0 win. When going up to lift the trophy it dawned on me just how huge it was. I etched myself into the history books. First trophy for 24 years. There are grown ass people who are of grad school age who weren't even alive the last time Villa have won a major trophy. A win on Sunday would be monumental, even if we went down. You don't get any additions to your cabinet for finishing 17th.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

Spurs are not Liverpool though and it was so late on against spurs 

That’s such a strange way to view things.

Basically, ‘West Ham must be better than us because losing 3-2 to Liverpool is better than losing 3-2, late on, to Spurs’ ?

When we played Liverpool we were leading for 65 minutes, conceding an equaliser in the 87th and then the sucker punch in the 93rd.

West Ham lead for a total of 14 minutes last night. Hardly mesmerising stuff.

Our Spurs loss only happened because of a terrible individual error, that Engels probably won’t do again in a long time.

If we can take away anything from these games, it’s that both teams have fight and both teams are fragile. The only difference is that we held on to the lead for much longer than them, and that in the Spurs game we threw away a point from an individual error, which presumably is easier to eradicate than general poor team play.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

still think we’ll finish above Wet Spam if we can play like we did against Spuds and not like we did against Saints.

Problem is, across the whole season the Spurs type performance have been the exception and have not garnered us many points.