Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Lampard is a **** word removed. Chelsea fans would be going into meltdown if Sarri was getting the sort of results Lampard is.

One of the main reasons he got the job is because they knew fans wouldn't turn quickly on him whilst they are under this embargo

• Like 1

Brighton got a pretty good run of games up to middle of March. If they get 10 + points in that period they'll be fine I suspect.

We really need someone above us to have an awful run now, something like not winning a game in two months. Ironcially this time last year Brighton were that team and fell into relegation trouble for the final weeks.

West Ham got a fair few tough away games in that spell (although dosen't seem to mean much this season) so they're ones we need to stay in touch with.

After nineteen games last season Brigton had twenty points and a goal difference of minus 6, and were eight points clear of the bottom three, come the end of the season they only survived by two points. After nineteen game this season they have twenty points and a difference of minus six and are just two points clear of the bottom three. So they're not doing any better this time, and are actually in a worse position relative to the bottom three.

• Thanks 1

We are only half way through and a lot can change. Hopefully we have been through our terrible spell now and will find a bit of form to climb the table. We really are going to miss SJM and therefore a couple of well judged signings will be key to our success as well as avoiding any more injuries and suspensions.

We have had more bad luck than good so far and it has clearly affected our confidence. Today was maybe the point when our luck started to turn.

There is hope that Mings will be back on Saturday. It’s a big call to drop either of today’s centre halfs but I would throw Mings straight back in for Konsa. I know it will slightly unbalance us but Watford are a physical side and I think we will need both Ty and big Hause to match up against them. I think a point would actually be a decent result on Saturday although 3 would be most welcome.

• Like 1

We're only one point from safey, our destiny is pretty much still in our own hands, so as obvious as it is to say so, what we need to do is to start winning more games. With the exception of Arsenal and probably Everton I still think anyone from Newcastle downwards could still go down. That said we're going to have to make some inspired signings in January to give us the best chance possible.

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Your not feeling Smith can turn it around then.

More for the lower the points target to finish 17th the better.

35-36 points we could do no problem I reckon but 38-40 points will ve very tough with the home games we have left.

It dosen't even have to be Burnley or Brighton. West Ham or Bournemouth struggling to win a game for next two months would be very welcome news indeed. West Ham will probably sack Pellegrini in next two weeks so they'll probably get a bounce.

Just seen West Ham had to go back to playing Roberto in goal today so that's good news given they have Leicester next. He certainly isn't keeping a clean sheet v their attack.

Edited by VillaChris

6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We have had more bad luck than good so far and it has clearly affected our confidence. Today was maybe the point when our luck started to turn.

There is hope that Mings will be back on Saturday. It’s a big call to drop either of today’s centre halfs but I would throw Mings straight back in for Konsa. I know it will slightly unbalance us but Watford are a physical side and I think we will need both Ty and big Hause to match up against them. I think a point would actually be a decent result on Saturday although 3 would be most welcome.

If Mings is fit enough (big if given he might only have one training session) I'd put him back in.

Deeney is the sort of niggly forward who could bully Konsa.

I know we kept a clean sheet today but it wasn't like we limited Norwich to half chances. With better finishing they'd have scored three like Southampton did.

Mings and Hause could be the way to go with Engels dipping recently. Both decent with the ball at their feet and physical.

Southampton aren't out of danger yet, two of their next three league games are against Spurs and Leicester and the other one is at home to Palace which won't be easy, if they falter in those games we could see them lose their confidence again.

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Your not feeling Smith can turn it around then.

I’m still optimistic, yes, but I think the points totals for survival will need to be much higher this year. Any help we can get from more teams joining the mix will benefit us. 

• Like 1