Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

On 13/12/2019 at 08:58, tomav84 said:

yeah but they're the worst side that's been to VP this season. 2 gifted goals then sat back they've done ok in a couple of games and their first 11 is decent, but with the injuries they have they could be really sucked into it

Easing to a 1-0 away win at Chelsea. Chelsea taken over from Arsenal as trying to relegate us with some of their results, lost to West Ham, Everton and Bournemouth in last 4 games. Us losing meekly at Chelsea isn't looking so great now.

Frank Lampard still bitter about losing the play off final it seems.

Chelsea "amazing season". Last two weeks they've lost to West Ham and Bournemouth at home who were in hopeless form and Everton away, also in hopeless form. Suddenly our meek performance down there dosen't look too clever.

We are in a bit of trouble now.

Stopped scoring and our performances are looking very lacklustre. Exactly the wrong part of the season for this to be happening. Next three games are massive and will go a long way to determining how simple or difficult the task to stay up will be.

I think we'll struggle to get 5 points so not even having 20 points by halfway stage is going to be very disappointing considering we had 14 after Newcastle game.

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ordinarily you would want a draw between West Ham and Southampton. However psychologically I think we need Southampton to lose to keep us out of the relegation zone. 

Southampton have really picked up well since the 9-0 to Leicester. Can see them beating West Ham.

We were very lucky not to drop into bottom 3 last weekend, can't see us getting away with it for second weekend running.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We're so shot of confidence right now.

Not looking good.

It's been a massive problem for years at this level. A few points under Lambert we started looking a decent side and then stuff like Chelsea 8-0 would happen and we'd go into freefall for three months.

Newcastle got trashed at Leicester, lost two games in three months. Southampton had the 9-0 at home and picked up some good results since.

We go into our shells too much when bad results happen. Miles away from the mentality you need if you want to become a decent side again over next 2-3 years.

We have on paper winnable games coming up after a hard run. The problem is that because of that hard run our confidence is clearly shot and we look shit.

I worry about the mental strength of our team; blowing it away at Arsenal (who are one of the softest teams out there), blowing it against Liverpool, generally rolling over away from home, struggle to put away teams with 10 men.

Where are the leaders on the pitch?

• Like 1

I'm dreading Tuesday night honestly. I know it's only the cup and many might not care but if we lose to what is going to be Liverpool's U21 side I fear for us seriously. If confidence is bad now oh my god if it all goes wrong Tuesday night I dread to think what it'll be like. 

Edited by Farlz

4 minutes ago, Farlz said:

We desperately need to find a win from somewhere, confidence is rock bottom right now. 

Well we have Southampton, Norwich and Watford next. Seems like a season defining run of games there. If we fail to win a single one of these, I think that would probably make undoubtedly one of the favorites for the drop.

Problem is those teams aren't gonna roll over as easily as I feel some of us think they are. Watford looked good against Liverpool and if it were not for horrific finishing, could've definitely at least gotten a draw.  Southampton have 2 wins in the last 3, could possibly be 3 wins in the last 4 very soon. Norwich have just drawn against Leicester, the team that beat us 4-1 just last week.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

I'm dreading Tuesday night honestly. I know it's only the cup and many might not care but if we lose to what is going to be Liverpool's U21 side I fear for this side seriously. If confidence is bad now oh my god if it all goes wrong Tuesday night I dread to think what it'll be like. 

We simply must take seriously. Even if it's their under 12s a win and a hopefully a few goals will at least improve the mood going into the Southampton game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We simply must take seriously. Even if it's their under 12s a win and a hopefully a few goals will at least improve the mood going into the Southampton game.

Yup, I'd play a fairly strong side, including Wesley with the hope he might be able to bag a goal or two.

• Like 2

Can't say I'm feeling confident going into these so called easier games, we've only won four games all season, and two of those game in circumsances fortuitous to ourselves: Brighton playing half the game with ten men, and Norwich having nine players out injured including their first and second choice goalkeepers, we're just not very good. Even if were to do okay over Christmas, as soon as we play anyone half decent we will just start losing again. I think we're going to have to have a very good January transfer window if we're to have any chance whatsoever of staying up. My worry is that ultimately it's going to be between us, Southampton, Norwich and Watford, and if Watford get back to anything like the form they showed last season which they showed signs of today, then they will catch up with us easily.

3 minutes ago, jim said:

At this rate we’ll finish bottom. Something needs to change and quick. 

Watford would have to go on some run for that to happen given they only have 9 points and a terrible GD. If we're saying 39 points to stay up they'd need 30 points so very close to them needing a 50% win ratio as we're not far off 20 games left now.

They would need to do stuff like beating us home and away. If that happens I doubt Dean Smith makes February still as our manager.

Just now, jacketspuds said:

It's incredible that there are still currently 3 worse teams than us in the league.

We beat one 5-1 away. Yet to play the other two. 19th and 20th isn't worrying me but 18th certainly is given everyone picking up the points. Certainly Southampton losing this is good in the long run as we need as low a possible points total to try to beat. Like us not beating West Ham, another winnable home game that would slip through their fingers.

• Like 1