Match Thread: Rotherham v Villa

limpid

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

My point is that Hourihane doesn't impact on games.  Grealish does.  Without Hourihane in the starting eleven, we've looked a lot better.  Today, he's come back in and we've looked poor.  Not sure what you're not getting?

I think we need players on now that can make something happen now though as we’re noy going to dominate. Hourihane can easily score or assist so he stays on.

9 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Dean Smith wants to be careful when the half time whistle blows. The ref will probably second yellow him for leaving his technical area to go for a cuppa. 

You can say that again.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

My point is that Hourihane doesn't impact on games.  Grealish does.  Without Hourihane in the starting eleven, we've looked a lot better.  Today, he's come back in and we've looked poor.  Not sure what you're not getting?

My point is that it's far too simplistic to state that the reason we haven't been on it is because hourihane is starting. That's nonsense. I'm not conors biggest fan but could you at least admit he isn't to blame for how below par grealish and abraham have been. Next you'll be saying he was at fault for the penalty.

4 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

So Smith was booked for leaving his technical area I assume. Never seen any coach do that before. 

Have you seen that episode of Alan Partridge where he doesn’t get a new series commission, he doesn’t tell his staff and starts cursorily sacking them for petty offences like leaving cups near computers. The ref is THIS

• Haha 2

A crap 45 mins and our top scorer is a Billy big bollox, and the manager who has guided us to 6 consecutive wins against top 10 teams has lost the plot. 

I love you lot. 

All of our players playing like **** except McGinn (as usual). Grealish yet again having a poor game, I love him but he needs to do more! 

We have the quality to turn the game around even with 10, but there seems lack of desire. Smith needs to absolute rollick then at half time.

3 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Pile of poo.

I thought more of DS than this, but the team were woefully unprepared for this.

Can see it being 2 or 3 nil by the end.

Wheels well and truly off

Abraham scores that pen and this is a breeze right now. 

The ref is poor, but its too easy to blame him. Prior to the sending off (which was a fair decision - entirely Mings's fault) we created next to nothing. Tammy's penalty was far too casual and the team's passing was loose. Massive improvement needed in the second half. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, stegzy said:

I think we need players on now that can make something happen now though as we’re noy going to dominate. Hourihane can easily score or assist so he stays on.

Yes, he is our best chance of scoring tonight. A goal out of nothing, or a set piece. That's the way we could get something out of this.

Just now, AVTuco said:

The ref gave us a pen. He's not our problem. We are.

He’s part of the problem mate. He’s letting Rotherham hit us hard so to speak. If you’re going to book for saft things it needs to be for both sides.

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

My point is that it's far too simplistic to state that the reason we haven't been on it is because hourihane is starting. That's nonsense. I'm not conors biggest fan but could you at least admit he isn't to blame for how below par grealish and abraham have been. Next you'll be saying he was at fault for the penalty.

He obviously wasn't at fault for the penalty.  He's at fault for the midfield not retaining the ball at all.  It's what Whelan has been doing really well and Hourihane has not been doing at all.

He gets some goals and assists from set pieces but is otherwise, often, anonymous.

5 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

his arm was behind him and quite close to his side?

He leans in with his arm and the ball strikes it - by the book it's a yellow card and completely his own fault. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Hourihane today has been non-existent. When you need someone to stand up and be counted, he's never there. If he scores the winner, I'll let him off though.

that's 2 midfielders down then because, jack is not much better.....its all alarming slow.... slow to move, slow to move the ball, slow to move off the ball, slow to challenge.

don't see a way back on this form.

Edited by TRO