AVFC accounts 2018

Tony

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Absolutely right. In that case he used the resources well. But the club gave him a budget, he spent it. It was his policy to go with high wage loans etc v youth, or v lower wage, cheap fee signings to be developed. In football terms it didn’t work, ultimately. Accounting wise, I guess it nearly drove the club bankrupt, but because the wages are now off the books, at least that punishing burden is gone....except of course, he did it again this season, when he was here. Very pleased he’s now ex manager, and at least Bolassie is off the wages.

but again, he wouldnt have been part of the wage discussions around bolassie. had everton agreed us to only pay say 20k of bolassie's wages then he's only have got another loan/free transfer for 30k a week as he had the budget to do so

and you refer to 'his' policy of loans vs youth...well how many fans would have given him time to develop said youngsters? very, very few...he needed to sign players that were to make an instant impact and hopefully get us promoted. we expected/expect instant sucess. FFS i mean some are even saying smith should go if we don't come flying out of the blocks next season

27 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

but again, he wouldnt have been part of the wage discussions around bolassie. had everton agreed us to only pay say 20k of bolassie's wages then he's only have got another loan/free transfer for 30k a week as he had the budget to do so

and you refer to 'his' policy of loans vs youth...well how many fans would have given him time to develop said youngsters? very, very few...he needed to sign players that were to make an instant impact and hopefully get us promoted. we expected/expect instant sucess. FFS i mean some are even saying smith should go if we don't come flying out of the blocks next season

I think most Villa fans would have accepted a rebuild after the relegation season. Dr. Fraud on the other hand came in all guns blazing talking about Champions League in next 5 seasons

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don't want to make this about Bruce - there's another thread for that. Bruce isn't one for developing youngsters anyway.

If the manager says "I need a winger" and the club says "we can afford 2 million to cover fee + wages" then the club's set the 2 million limit, not the manager. If the manager then uses that 2 million to loan a winger, that's his use of the resources. Other managers might try a player from the lower leagues or the yoputh team, or try and do a player swap deal, or any number of options. Bruce chose expensive loans. Some were good, some were bad. Terry, Snoddy, Sam Johnson - good. In terms of both accounting, and building a fgootball club it's not a remotely sustainable approach. It's a gamble.

At your most generous you could say he nearly achieved promotion using incredibly short term measures. Nothing about that approach is building for the future, looking no further than the summer, gambling on having prem money for the rebuild. 

It would appear that without very radical change we are only viable in the top flight, acting like we still are is suicide at this point surely.

• Like 3

On 07/03/2019 at 08:08, Shropshire Lad said:

The thing for me is even if a manager isn’t part of the negotiations they must have at least an idea of the numbers that are going to be involved when buying a player.

As an extreme example (and I’m using this as it was probably our most high profile signing) Steve Bruce must have realised that in order to sign John Terry, we would have to pay an extremely high championship wage for him. WE as fans knew that would likely be the case, we knew he wouldn’t come cheap. I don’t see how people can say “oh well wages, it’s not the manager’s responsibility”. When he identified JT as a player he wanted, how much did he expect we would have to pay JT to sign for us? 

I can’t believe the thought didn’t enter his head.

Snodgrass aswell, did well for us but he wouldn't have come cheap given West Ham signed him for 12m.

According to Brucie these signings are all "waifs and strays" !!

Have to hope Purslows categoric reassurance was based in fact.

Given they must know the concern of fans, if they have a perfectly sound case for satisfying FFP I wonder why they can’t share at least the broad idea ?

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Given they must know the concern of fans, if they have a perfectly sound case for satisfying FFP I wonder why they can’t share at least the broad idea ?

Maybe they can’t share because it’s a classic case of who you know rather than what you know.

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

Big thread on twitter from Swiss Ramble which discusses everything 

The point SR makes 

Based on my projection, #AVFC will fail FFP by around £25m in 2018/19.

Is exactly the same thing I'm worried about as per the FFP thread and earlier in this thread. Unless we either sell big, find a ton of money from somewhere sharpish the sums don't add up to anything other than massively failing FFP, as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

The point SR makes 

Is exactly the same thing I'm worried about as per the FFP thread and earlier in this thread. Unless we either sell big, find a ton of money from somewhere sharpish the sums don't add up to anything other than massively failing FFP, as far as I can tell.

So Purslow is either full of the smelly stuff or has a £25m trick up his sleeve?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Exactly, sorry I just replied to Blandy's post without reading above...

I really hope that the EFL sat down with our new owners and Purslow, saw the catastrophic mess we were in, and heard out the plan the club came up with to rectify things.

We all knew there was no way we were in line with the remits set out by FFP but given we were on the brink of administration and haemorrhaging £5m a month, we were given some leeway in finding a solution to at least make inroads into the debt and inbalance in profit and sustainability.

The Kalinic/Guilbert signings is what throws me a bit in regard to this theory because it wasnt exactly needed and we did it anyway, a club with accounts like ours should not have been seen to be spending between €7-12m on a position that was already covered by enough personnel (however crap they might be). Either we are hoping a QPR type fine is incoming with possible embargo (which makes sense as to why we continued making signings) or we are most certainly throwing all eggs into going up this season despite and its another big gamble. I actually trust this new regime though even though we've been burned badly before.

Â