Racism Part two

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

'Gone with the wind' now removed. Its a film that depicts the south as it was in those days and a back actor won an Oscar. We are on a  really slippery slope of censorship of films and tv classics of what we can and cannot watch. 

This isn't the first time in this thread you've described something as 'a slippery slope'.

Is there anything at all you think is positive about the BLM movement? Because you don't seem to like to highlight them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

This is racist, there is nobody in a villa shirt and someone in a Blues shirt 

#VLM

The blue shirt near the front of the picture is actually Moeen Ali in an England cricket shirt.

7 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

This isn't the first time in this thread you've described something as 'a slippery slope'.

Is there anything at all you think is positive about the BLM movement? Because you don't seem to like to highlight them.

Racial equality and the right to protest although I think what transpired over the weekend might result in more fatalities.  

18 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

To be fair (and I do get your point), but banning and censoring old TV shows etc is a bit.. "commie", considering up until recently it's been classed as ok. 

I don't know where I fully stand on it, but it does seem a bit scatter gun of the companies to take things down which may cause upset "in the current climate" and it seems a bit cynical to me.  Why was Little Britain funny 10 years ago, but not acceptable today?  I think we all knew, even back then that the joke wasn't at minorities expense (or at least I certainly never took it that way).  Yes, we're always going to continue to learn and accept new baselines for social responsibility and acceptable boundaries, but should we censor the past?  Or should we put warnings before the show saying "what you're about to watch happened, but we don't condone this now" kinda thing? 

I find myself in the entire argument right in't middle of everyone else. 

Everyone just seems to think their opinions matter more than those on the opposite side and will shout that narrative of "you're wrong, we're right" until they get 100+ likes or their nose bleeds. 

Like, why can't I frown upon the person burning a flag (as much as I'm absolutely not arsed about flags, people who join the forces seem to think a lot of it), also feel for the black community and think protests are a good thing, at the same time thinking chucking a statue into a harbour is a bit of a shit thing to do as well (I'd have continued with the due process, even though it's taken x amount of years)? 

I just feel as though I can't pick a side at the moment (why would I want to?), because of fear of being branded a far-right/far-left leaning extremist.

I ain't none of those things.  

The world seems to be growing ever impatient and wants everything fixed here and now, which is absolutely not going to happen, so the anger goes up - what is the end game here?  

What does everyone want?  

By when? 

And how do we get there? 

I mean, **** right cops in the states (or anywhere else in the world) shouldn't killing people, in any capacity.  People of colour (where they are in the minority of the population) should absolutely not be treated any differently to the indigenous population (wherever/whatever that might be).  But again, why is this still even a thing?  Surely most people (obviously not though sadly) know this already.  

I think we need to recognise that most (almost everyone) is a decent person as a baseline though and we're almost all able to function as part of a safe and happy society (we're living in the safest times right now believe it or not), whilst also realising that there will always be people in situations which lead them to do bad things and an even smaller % of people, are just bad people, but those people are extremely rare and often have underlying reasons as to why they are as they are. 

This has turned into an absolute ramble, but we need to have a strategy to implement change and those changes shouldn't be to the detriment of anyone else. 

Equal opportunities should be a given, to anyone and everyone.  If it's jobs etc, make the screening sample anonymous for example (but again, why should that be the way forwards.. it's kinda racist to begin with).

It's kinda funny to me that whilst we don't have a known enemy to fight (we fight issues now), the issues we're currently fighting seem to be the most ferocious because nobody can actually identify an absolute enemy.  

I'm just "meh" about it all now, I preferred corona and putting rainbows in the windows. 

But for the love of God cops, can you stop killing people please?  Thanks. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

'Gone with the wind' now removed. Its a film that depicts the south as it was in those days and a back actor won an Oscar. We are on a  really slippery slope of censorship of films and tv classics of what we can and cannot watch. 

I've made it 49 years without watching that film , I'm not going to be outraged that I can't watch it for a few weeks whilst HBO make a few tweaks to it .(it's not banned /removed  forever)

I should start by saying I disagree with statue toppling , i think they should be done in a more democratic way , and I think removal by mobs IS a slippery slope ... who gets to decide on what statues stay and go ?  not to mention my fear that for every statue knocked down you empower 5 yeah but where is Lee Rigbys statue type people  on Facebook and exasperate the situation

But for film and TV  that's an easy one   ... We used to have a prime-time TV show where comedians told offensive racist jokes that made the audience laugh , at some point society evolved , we moved on and it became obvious to all that those jokes no longer deserved to be aired on prime time TV ... are you really lamenting the end of something like this ? Someone linked  a TV show sketch the other day with a factory floor and the joke was how they already had their black man quota filled, and we don't want no Pakistani working here  , it was a 1970's comedy the audience howled with laughter  ,  in 2020 it was very painful viewing , i cringed as I watched it  . Are you going to play the "slippery slope " card  over something that is no longer of its time  ? You must have friends of all backgrounds , wouldn't you feel disgusted if someone was targetting those people based on their background ?

I'm sure Little Britain will be back on our screens with the offensive sketch removed  and gone with the wind will be back on the screens  .... and I still won't get around to watching it  ....

Edited by tonyh29
spelling
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I've made it 49 years without watching that film , I'm not going to be outraged that I can't watch it for a few weeks whilst HBO make a few tweaks to it .(it's not banned /removed  forever)

I should start by saying I disagree with stature toppling , i think they should be done in a more democratic way , and I think removal by mobs IS a slippery slope ... who gets to decide on what statues stay and go ?  not to mention my fear that for every statue knocked down you empower 5 yeah but where is Lee Rigbys statue type people  on Facebook and exasperate the situation

But for film and TV  that's an easy one   ... We used to have a prime-time TV show where comedians told offensive racist jokes that made the audience laugh , at some point society evolved , we moved on and it became obvious to all that those jokes no longer deserved to be aired on prime time TV ... are you really lamenting the end of something like this ? Someone linked  a TV show sketch the other day with a factory floor and the joke was how they already had their black man quota filled, and we don't want no Pakistani working here  , it was a 1970's comedy the audience howled with laughter  ,  in 2020 it was very painful viewing , i cringed as I watched it  . Are you going to play the "slippery slope " card  over something that is no longer of its time  ? You must have friends of all backgrounds , wouldn't you feel disgusted if someone was targetting those people based on their background ?

I'm sure Little Britain will be back on our screens with the offensive sketch removed  and gone with the wind will be back on the screens  .... and I still won't get around to watching it  ....

I’ve never seen gone with the wind and can’t stand little Britain. I just don’t want to to told what I can or cannot watch. The removal of statues does nothing to stop racism and only makes others angry. This is what John Barnes just said. 

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I’ve never seen gone with the wind and can’t stand little Britain. I just don’t want to to told what I can or cannot watch. The removal of statues does nothing to stop racism and only makes others angry. This is what John Barnes just said. 

You’re not being told what you can or cannot watch. It’s just certain sites carrying those movies or tv shows are choosing not to at the moment. 

They are not banned or censored. You can still buy the dvd or watch it on another service if they carry it. 

A service or store choosing not to show or stock something is not censorship

Just now, Stevo985 said:

You’re not being told what you can or cannot watch. It’s just certain sites carrying those movies or tv shows are choosing not to at the moment. 

They are not banned or censored. You can still buy the dvd or watch it on another service if they carry it. 

A service or store choosing not to show or stock something is not censorship

I don’t buy dvds anymore I just watch things on Netflix and Amazon prime. Anyway it doesn’t matter, more important things to worry about. Just see where it goes.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I find myself in the entire argument right in't middle of everyone else. 

Everyone just seems to think their opinions matter more than those on the opposite side and will shout that narrative of "you're wrong, we're right" until they get 100+ likes or their nose bleeds. 

Like, why can't I frown upon the person burning a flag (as much as I'm absolutely not arsed about flags, people who join the forces seem to think a lot of it), also feel for the black community and think protests are a good thing, at the same time thinking chucking a statue into a harbour is a bit of a shit thing to do as well (I'd have continued with the due process, even though it's taken x amount of years)? 

I just feel as though I can't pick a side at the moment (why would I want to?), because of fear of being branded a far-right/far-left leaning extremist.

I ain't none of those things.  

99EDBE67-D256-44A1-85CF-B64E57719838.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

How did you spot Bellingham and not Grealish or were you looking at Moeen?

It’s quite bonkers really. Do you remember those tests you had as a kid where they put A coloured number amongst all the other coloured circles to test  for colourblindness. The range was 1 to 10 and I could not even see number one, so in that collage I’m not really saying much detail apart from really vivid colours like blue. The rest of the collage at first glance is a complete mystery to me, although I did spot The giant Bennie from Crossroads Which made me think of that giant cat in the start of the credits for the goodies for some reason

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Oh I know it's ok, but on the internet you're not allowed to be - is my point. :thumb: 

Yep. Should have clarified, I was very much supporting your ramblechat. It seems the world now has adopted a stance of “you either agree with me fully or you’re wrong” everything is so polarised. There are only polarised opinions, entrenched standpoints. No nuance in debate and no willingness to hear an alternative point of view. It’s all very tiring as there is so little debate held in good faith. 

• Like 1

Just now, choffer said:

Yep. Should have clarified, I was very much supporting your ramblechat. It seems the world now has adopted a stance of “you either agree with me fully or you’re wrong” everything is so polarised. There are only polarised opinions, entrenched standpoints. No nuance in debate and no willingness to hear an alternative point of view. It’s all very tiring as there is so little debate held in good faith. 

I'd argue not so much "tiring" but kin' thick to be honest. 

24 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I know your point

Well you clearly don’t. It’s not censorship. Just because you only use Netflix and amazon prime doesn’t mean you’ve been censored. 

You can’t watch The Wire on Netflix and Amazon either. That doesn’t mean it’s been censored and you’re being told what you can or can’t watch. 

• Like 1

Â