Racism Part two

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He had the skin condition vitiligo, it wasn't blee-heeach

michael jackson dancing GIF

You're both right. He had vitiligo and eventually bleached his skin white as it was easier than applying dark makeup to cover up the light patches.

(AFAIK)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Cilla Black in Liverpool

She blacked up at every opportunity*

*this may not be true

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You're both right. He had vitiligo and eventually bleached his skin white as it was easier than applying dark makeup to cover up the light patches.

(AFAIK)

From what I remember it progressed to the point where he had to cover it up with light makeup instead of dark and then to the point where he was almost fully "white", but still slightly patchy and after his death they found prescription bleaching cream for vitiligo patients who want to get rid of the remaining patches. 

Must have been rough being accused of being anti-black for your entire adult life because of a skin disease you couldn't control. I'm glad I'm not famous.

18 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

His jacket clearly says "Mascot" in inverted commas, which implies that maybe he wasn't actually the mascot.

Looks like his hat says - Aston "Villa"

Thought it was a bit weird at first. After a minute's thought it I'm on board and I think we should bring back that way of writing it.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
to make it clearer I don't support bringing back a guy in blackface

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

From what I remember it progressed to the point where he had to cover it up with light makeup instead of dark and then to the point where he was almost fully "white", but still slightly patchy and after his death they found prescription bleaching cream for vitiligo patients who want to get rid of the remaining patches. 

Must have been rough being accused of being anti-black for your entire adult life because of a skin disease you couldn't control. I'm glad I'm not famous.

That was the least he deserved after the revelations that have come out after his death...

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah that's what i understand too. He used to cover it up with dark makeup, then when it got bad he switched to covering up the dark parts with light makeup. And then eventually bleached it.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

This has got me thinking, is there actually any statues of any nice people?

I think if you use todays standards then the vast majority of statues would have to be removed. 

I'm uncomfortable about the purge of monuments like this. It makes up the history of the country, warts and all. While some probably deserve to be removed where will it end? Peel? Nelson? Wellington? Drake? Queen Victoria? Churchill? All have said or done things that wouldn't be acceptable today. I guess you could apply the same logic to Gandhi as well. He said horrible things about black people. Engels as well, family fortune build on cotton mills on produce picked by slaves. 

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think if you use todays standards then the vast majority of statues would have to be removed. 

I'm uncomfortable about the purge of monuments like this. It makes up the history of the country, warts and all. While some probably deserve to be removed where will it end? Peel? Nelson? Wellington? Drake? Queen Victoria? Churchill? All have said or done things that wouldn't be acceptable today. I guess you could apply the same logic to Gandhi as well. He said horrible things about black people. Engels as well, family fortune build on cotton mills on produce picked by slaves. 

Would you have to knock down the pyramids 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

If we're tearing down statues for historical crimes this one has to be the top of the list surely?

beatles-2395311_1920-678x381.jpg

What have you got against the Dave Clark 5?

• Haha 2

Â