Racism Part two

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Not knowing anything about American history.... are Indians, Redskins, Braves, Chiefs and Blackhawks racist words for the native American people?

Or is it more a case of cultural appropriation?  If so, is it bad in this context? 

I think i would like to have a team named after my ancestry - it would make me feel proud when that team did well. and i'd probably have started supporting them from a young age as my team.

That's a difficult question. Some Native Americans will say they're all offensive; some say will say none are; and some will say that some of those names are more offensive than others. I've put on the forum before the history of the Washington R******* name, which was chosen by their former owner, a man who was a notorious racist (he refused to integrate his team long after the rest of the league had done) and who appears to have chosen the name out of racism. I'm not sure all of those names were chosen in such a negative spirit, but at the end of the day it's not my place to decide.

I did see yesterday a news story about members of the Cherokee tribe asking Jeep to stop naming their cars after them, so plenty of Native Americans just don't like things being named after them at all.

• Thanks 2

Chiefs isn't a racist name on its own, its the native american headwear the fans wear and songs that goes with it, that makes it a problem. 

Police unable to explain disproportionate use of powers against minorities, report finds

A watchdog says that, more than 35 years after the introduction of stop and search, "no force fully understands the impact".

Police are still unable to explain why their powers are disproportionately used on people from black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds, a watchdog has said.

Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Services (HMICFRS) warned that police risk losing the trust of the communities they serve after the latest inspection on the disproportionate use of powers.

In the report, published on Friday, the inspectorate said: "Over 35 years on from the introduction of stop and search legislation, no force fully understands the impact of the use of these powers.

"Disproportionality persists and no force can satisfactorily explain why."

The report cited data from 2019/20 that showed ethnic minority people were four times more likely to be stopped and searched than white people.

Black people were about 5.7 times more likely to have force used on them than white people, with figures also showing they were more than nine times as likely to have Tasers drawn on them.

More on Sky News

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

Not knowing anything about American history.... are Indians, Redskins, Braves, Chiefs and Blackhawks racist words for the native American people?

"Redskins" is really racist. Braves, Indians, Chiefs and Blackhawks aren't inherently racist, but offensive to many Native Americans (and others) because Native Americans had no say in naming those teams and were reduced to mascots while being herded onto reservations. It's pretty gross.

At Braves and Chiefs games, fans do a "Tomahawk Chop" routine while "Indian" music plays over the PA. Also pretty gross.

But the most offensive of all is the Indians mascot for decades, Chief Wahoo". It was still available on team gear as recently as 2020-

170px-Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ender4 said:

I think i would like to have a team named after my ancestry

I guess it depends on whether the name is truly appropriate for your ancestry, rather than a colloquialism or pejorative term.

In Canada, we didn't use terms like Eskimo, Indian or Native even though Indian is still the term used in the constitution and a lot of legal text. Native has been phased out as it's largely considered to relate more to the US, but even then someone born in America would be "native" so it doesn't really have the value of indigenous people.

Canadians tend to use Indigenous, First Nations or, less frequently, Aboriginal as terms that better reflect the people and their history.

It's a thorny topic, but the First Nations people have a right to be sensitive about it because even as Canada was warmly welcoming immigrants from across the world, the people who were indigenous to the country were often being treated like animals.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I guess it depends on whether the name is truly appropriate for your ancestry, rather than a colloquialism or pejorative term.

In Canada, we didn't use terms like Eskimo, Indian or Native even though Indian is still the term used in the constitution and a lot of legal text. Native has been phased out as it's largely considered to relate more to the US, but even then someone born in America would be "native" so it doesn't really have the value of indigenous people.

Canadians tend to use Indigenous, First Nations or, less frequently, Aboriginal as terms that better reflect the people and their history.

It's a thorny topic, but the First Nations people have a right to be sensitive about it because even as Canada was warmly welcoming immigrants from across the world, the people who were indigenous to the country were often being treated like animals.

So similar to Australia

• Like 1

Can people please not jump down my throat for any ignorance I may be displaying here, I don't know all, I don't have all the facts, I was just reaching out to a kid who I could tell had a nice nature.

Posted on Facebook by an acquaintance of mine, who I know through basketball.

No photo description available.

My reply:

Hi P******, please read this. I don't know if you remember me, but we met a few times at the RMIT basketball courts. You always were decent and respectful toward me, even though we don't know each other. I can only hope that you found me to be the same towards you. The reason for my message today is in relation to some of the posts you've made on white people, though I want to be clear, I am only trying to come from a place of respect, and even love here. I honestly don't know if Caucasian people originate from the mountains throughout Europe and Asia that you mention, but I do know my own heart, and I'm getting to know it quite well. I have spent a lifetime wondering why black people and the natives of a few continents have been treated as they have been. I don't want to make this message too long, but I want you to know I would stand by you to fight against the horrific treatment of so many beautiful people, if I thought the cause was just and fair. An eye for an eye is not justice, please think about what it means, or even ask me what I think that means. "Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that" - Martin Luther King Jnr. I am of the mind, that the powers that be, have a vested interest in divide and conquer tactics, to stop you and I, all of us, from seeing each other for what we are, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, friends. The only enemy is in our own heart, and how we see the world. I am with you on this brother, I have faith. I only ask of you to be free, and that means I don't expect you to trust me, or to have faith in me, until the day you do. I do not speak for white people here, only those who have a good heart, and that is universal, not skin, which is surface level. The ultimate sin, is to be ashamed of your skin. Please, if you feel like it, please send a reply, even a short one, but even if you have read this far, more power to you. Let's fight the injustice together. Take care.

Edited by A'Villan

The caucasus mountains are where noahs boat landed so its where all the beautiful pure people come from 

Whilst Noahs sinner son ham is sent to Coventry (and by that I mean Africa and asia...) and is the founder of black and Asian people (that's a mild simplification) 

Thousands of years of racism from a children's bed time story 

I thought it was more about  Johann  Blumenbach and his 5 varieties than any biblical myths ?

something like he determined Adam and Eve came from that caucus region and that other races came about by degeneration from environmental factors ... hence other races are “inferior” ? 

Edited by tonyh29

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I thought it was more about  Johann  Blumenbach and his 5 varieties than any biblical myths ?

something like he determined Adam and Eve came from that caucus region and that other races came about by degeneration from environmental factors ... hence other races are “inferior” ? 

My awakening by David Duke explains the races in intricate detail, albeit in a completely wrong, hidden, dangerous and hateful manner. The point being he uses nature as an example, whilst walking in the woods as a young boy he noticed that there was a certain order of things, some animals were born above others in the pecking order, you can guess the rest before he slopes off on a massive anti-Semitic rant in the rest of the book

Unbelievably the fella was running for a US senator at one stage

Edited by Follyfoot

On 26/02/2021 at 21:58, A'Villan said:

Can people please not jump down my throat for any ignorance I may be displaying here, I don't know all, I don't have all the facts, I was just reaching out to a kid who I could tell had a nice nature.

Posted on Facebook by an acquaintance of mine, who I know through basketball.

No photo description available.

My reply:

Looks like your man has been spending too much time on da internet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

I know. And a congressman. Loueeeeeziana

Is it still as bad round that neck of the woods, has there been any progress at all 

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Is it still as bad round that neck of the woods, has there been any progress at all 

Rural parts are some of of the most backward places in the USA.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Rural parts are some of of the most backward places in the USA.

Hence why Duke would recruit support, thanks for the insight 

On 02/03/2021 at 02:15, maqroll said:

Looks like your man has been spending too much time on da internet.

He responded with love and said he hopes his message does not make me question myself due to the colour of my skin. As far as I'm concerned that's a win, even if his concept of human existence is a somewhat skewed.

Â