Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

You just can't replace Mings combination of pace/physicality/aggression not to mention his underrated anticipation and organization.

With Diego out - we have 3 CB's (Pau, Konsa, Lenglet) who have the same profile. Technical and neat players but, on the whole, not players who will win ball and man and stop the attack dead.

• Like 1

We have and will continue to improve our results when he isn’t playing. Confident on that.

I am less confident in our ability to keep cleans sheets on a vaguely regular basis. So far we’ve kept out third from bottom Everton and third from bottom Hibs. 

Early days, players still finding their feet, things should improve, they probably will. But my current mindset going into games is we’re going have to score at least two or three to get something out of it.

• Like 1

I think we need Zaniolo up to full speed and more familiar with the squad. He strikes me as a similar character in terms of a complete need to win, that permeates through people around him. Mings had a lot of physical attributes that helped him become a top defender, but it's his intelligence and character that define him. 

I do think that on paper you'd be replacing him in the defence with Carlos or Torres in terms of raw ability, especially with Mings having a mistake leading to a goal in him every two or three games before Emery. I feel like those errors were becoming fewer, but I did wonder if he was going to phase out of the side by the end of the season, especially with age not on his side. Happy to admit that was naïve now though, definitely missing him. Although obviously the transition has been instant instead of gradual over a season. 

As a side note I'm curious to see what he's up to in his time off. I heard he has a couple of his own businesses and a youth football training centre. I hope he's studying for his badges as I can see him becoming a top coach one day. 

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The Mings injury was a gut punch. It bothered me far, far more than the scoreline against Newcastle did.

Honestly think we are already a point or two lower than we would be with him in the team.

Not sure we would have got a result at Newcastle but maybe a draw at Liverpool but ifs and buts

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think we are seeing what a huge miss Tyrone is, not just his ability but his leadership and organisational skills.

It is early days though. Torres and Lenglet are barely through the door and Carlos is not long back from a very serious injury. They are all quality players, along with Konsa, and I am sure under a manager like Emery things will eventually click. It would have been nice had they had time to get up to speed and build relationships with Tyrone alongside them though. 

Always the voice of reason mate. 💪

• Like 1

A massive miss as we all feared.

Just nothing we can do given he won't have any chance of playing until perhaps in six months so hopefully Pau can start imposing himself much more on prem forwards and him and Konsa can get a good understanding going.

Can you imagine the earful Mings would've given Chambers for that second goal if he'd been on the pitch. That's what we're missing, someone to simply bark to an RB to get back into position as soon as we lose the ball.

Edited by VillaChris

20 minutes ago, spiezels said:

As others have said, he just has so many attributes aside from his footballing ones and we’re missing them all massively, organisation, leadership, bit of a thug when needed

I think Torres has started picking up the slack on the organisation and leadership side of things, but he's not going to be able to match up physically. 

Â