Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Not his best game and I think caught between two minds when Leicester players were too easily allowed to pick their head up dribbling inwards. Needs to drop or step up for the trap but tellingly froze between the two. 

LB (Digne and Moreno) could have done better for goals 2-4 but really - there were individual failures across the board that allowed for goals 2-4. 

Should have looked behind him for their 2nd. Cleared the ball well, then no awareness where the attacker was. Never once looked over his shoulder.

2nd goal, either play offside , or follow the runner , he did neither.

He has been ok this season, but he was at fault for 2 goals yday

3 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Honestly speaking.. 

We are not going to get into Europe with Mings in defence..

He has been our best defender because our other defenders are not premier league standard..

EDIT

I think Emery will move him on in the summer and that will kickstart his regime at Villa..

So what you're really saying is that we're not getting to Europe with any of these defenders?

I like Mings, he has been a solid presence and a constant in uncertain recent times, he has been a force for good for the club. He is a grown up and a decent human being too. But I don’t want that to romantically cloud judgement on what we need to move forward.

I hope we keep Mings at the club, a bit like Young - a squad player with class, respect and integrity, but I hope we buy a replacement: a progressive, ball playing CB. As the ‘team’ improves and possession and general defensive shape improves we will have less of a need on a stopper. 

I think the game against Leicester did Mings no favours in Emery’s eyes. In fact I think Konsa and a Mings are done, they are just too slow and uncomfortable in possession for what Emery wants from his team. I reckon we see a new CB pairing come August.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I like Mings, he has been a solid presence and a constant in uncertain recent times, he has been a force for good for the club. He is a grown up and a decent human being too. But I don’t want that to romantically cloud judgement on what we need to move forward.

I hope we keep Mings at the club, a bit like Young - a squad player with class, respect and integrity, but I hope we buy a replacement: a progressive, ball playing CB. As the ‘team’ improves and possession and general defensive shape improves we will have less of a need on a stopper. 

I think the game against Leicester did Mings no favours in Emery’s eyes. In fact I think Konsa and a Mings are done, they are just too slow and uncomfortable in possession for what Emery wants from his team. I reckon we see a new CB pairing come August.

He has to go imo..

He had too much influence and personality to be a squad player here.. Gerrard tried that and that backfired for him amongst many other things..

8 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Honestly speaking.. 

We are not going to get into Europe with Mings in defence..

He has been our best defender because our other defenders are not premier league standard..

EDIT

I think Emery will move him on in the summer and that will kickstart his regime at Villa..

so you think he's our best defender but you also think emery will sell him in the summer? am i understanding that correctly?

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

so you think he's our best defender but you also think emery will sell him in the summer? am i understanding that correctly?

We need to find someone to play alongside Diego Carlos..

If the contract situation isn’t addressed I can see him leaving.

Emery is ruthless and has worked with better quality defenders, he knows if Mings has what it takes to meet his demands..

We could lose a coin toss and Mings is to blame

I think some are.blinded by captain clearing in the woods saying Mings was the problem. He is easily our best defender in the last decade/15 years, Laursen probably closest comparison

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

We need to find someone to play alongside Diego Carlos..

If the contract situation isn’t addressed I can see him leaving.

Emery is ruthless and has worked with better quality defenders, he knows if Mings has what it takes to meet his demands..

Name one or two  other than Pau Torres, Thiago Silva and Marquinhos.

• Haha 1

I think ultimately Mings will be upgraded. With Carlos coming back soon let’s see how he settles with Mings, then the year after should be replaced. I just think CB might be down the list of Striker, Winger and midfielder. I want genuine quality there first. If we can add a CB in the summer too then great. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

We could lose a coin toss and Mings is to blame

I think some are.blinded by captain clearing in the woods saying Mings was the problem. He is easily our best defender in the last decade/15 years, Laursen probably closest comparison

That's not an especially high bar to get over though. 10 years ago the defence was Vlaar and Clark, and it got progressively worse after that.

Mings is like the rest of the squad, fine if you want to finish 11th or lower.

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

That's not an especially high bar to get over though. 10 years ago the defence was Vlaar and Clark, and it got progressively worse after that.

Mings is like the rest of the squad, fine if you want to finish 11th or lower.

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

You’ve named 3 better defenders already..

Do you expect me to include more to strengthen my case??

I don’t think there are any outside those 3 ,Emery has been successful at multiple clubs with worse defenders than Mings.

He is bound to leave in the summer. To last 4 years is an eternity at Villa. I can barely remember the last time a non-home grown player has stayed with us for 5 plus seasons. Hutton (though on loan for a 18 month  spell in the middle), or maybe Petrov.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

With one year on his contract, it is extend or sell time.

I'd probably offer him a two year extension. Maybe slightly improved terms, but not by much.

Whereas Tyrone looks round the squad, he sees Digne, Coutinho, Kamara all on double his wage. Plenty of others on much more, why shouldn't he get that as a nailed on starter?

I don't think he'll be a good asset if he's winding his contract down and not signing an extension.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

He is bound to leave in the summer. To last 4 years is an eternity at Villa. I can barely remember the last time a non-home grown player has stayed with us for 5 plus seasons. Hutton (though on loan for a 18 month  spell in the middle), or maybe Petrov.

Insane that loan was four years ago. Remember his second game (VS Sheff Utd) like it was yesterday :o

Â