Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I am not sure what his age has to do with it. He is only 2 days older than Carlos who many of us seem to be pinning our hopes on being a first choice for the next 2-3 years. 

It is a no brainer for me giving Mings a new contract. If sooner or later he finds himself sitting on the bench then we have an excellent back up centre back and will have a hell of a centre back pairing keeping him out the side.

and how much do you think he should be paid to sit on the bench

Edit - Also we are already committed to Carlos long term as he has a contract and he has a better record.

If he comes back a shadow of the player he was this is all null and void as we would have to keep Mings regardless then.

Edited by paul514

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

If we are keeping him

Unless we are signing 3 new Centre Backs in the summer, he is the least of our worries.

We have no idea how Carlos will come back, and i've seen enough of the others.

You could do much, much worse than having a Tyrone Mings in your squad.

20 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Edit - Also we are already committed to Carlos long term as he has a contract and he has a better record.

If he comes back a shadow of the player he was this is all null and void as we would have to keep Mings regardless then.

On the bench, he is easily our best centre back

Carlos a. Is unproven in English football and b. Not actually recover from his injury

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Zatman said:

On the bench, he is easily our best centre back

Carlos a. Is unproven in English football and b. Not actually recover from his injury

Are you not reading what I am saying?

I am talking about a hypothetical where Carlos comes back unaffected and we sign a new starter.

47 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Unless we are signing 3 new Centre Backs in the summer, he is the least of our worries.

We have no idea how Carlos will come back, and i've seen enough of the others.

You could do much, much worse than having a Tyrone Mings in your squad.

Depends on the cost, we don't have endless money for transfers and more importantly wages.

it also has the benefit of a large FFP profit as his amortisation is almost done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

I think people make him out to be our saviour no doubt we missed him and his our best defender , but what happened last week he wasn't in error for a couple goals to shows we lack real quality in our side.

Most likely we’re going to lose today anyway but (now 8 losses):

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Man I miss Mings. Clearly a level above the quality we have. Can’t wait for him and Carlos to pair together. Hopefully DC comes back full strength cause those two will be a true European-caliber back duo.

Mings is massive for us. Never expect to get a result against City but as soon as I saw he was out I actually expected a thrashing. To be honest it could have been if they took their chances.

• Like 1

The fact I put £20 on us to lose 6-0 as soon as I saw Mings wasn't playing (and Chambers was) says it all really. 

I know that score line didn't happen but it looked like it could after the first half, when the damage had already been done.

Yes Tyrone makes mistakes, sometimes costly, but we are a MUCH better side when he plays.

That said I would love Konsa and Mings to be our stand-in centre halves because we have two BETTER ones starting (Carlos may be one of them - depending how he recovers).

11 hours ago, paul514 said:

what do you mean a better record? he's played 2 games for us, 1 of which we lost to the team likely to finish bottom of the league

15 hours ago, paul514 said:

Not really, assuming Carlos comes back unharmed and we sign another to replace.

Lads turning 30 with 12 months on his deal.

Mings will be playing PL level football until he's at least 35. The man is an absolute machine.

Same goes for Carlos for that matter.

15 hours ago, Farlz said:

No Mings and the team falls apart. Happens every time. 

The idea we should sell him in the summer is absolute batshit crazy. 

The selling is not batshit crazy......The prospect of not bringing in a better player, with similar stature is.

He is the only player on the books above 6 foot......That is absurd.

The situation, is so stark.....Mings is badly missed, when he is out, but in truth we need better there, as well.

This team is shamefully small, in too many area's of need.....We are not Barcelona, so we can't play our way out of it, either.

The balance hasn't been right for years.

6 minutes ago, RichW said:

I know Mings divides opinion but when he doesn't play the standard of our CB pairings is pretty poor without him. 

When you are the only outfield player above 6 foot.....The only one......it leaves a lot to do, in the air, particularly at set pieces.

why don't we go the whole hog, and have 5'10 goal Keeper?

1 minute ago, TRO said:

When you are the only outfield player above 6 foot.....The only one......it leaves a lot to do, in the air, particularly at set pieces.

why don't we go the whole hog, and have 5'10 goal Keeper?

Oh I agree. Just when you read about hoping to challenge for the European places on here and we get one injury to Mings the standard of our defence becomes relegation battle standard. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RichW said:

Oh I agree. Just when you read about hoping to challenge for the European places on here and we get one injury to Mings the standard of our defence becomes relegation battle standard. 

Europe is fantasy land for this present team.

• Like 1

Â