Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Which 2, out of interest?

Second two. He should have been more assertive for their second goal, and the failed clearance for the third was a disaster. 

First goal had his pocket picked a bit but hard to be too hard on him for that. 

Their second goal was mixture of brilliant play by one of their players, that little reverse ball that put the player through on the byline, and then good fortune from their point of view and bad fortune from our point of view in terms of the deflection. It was just one of those things, not sure what Mings could have done, he and another one of our players got in each others way in desperation to try and clear the danger, which will unfortunatley happen sometimes.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

he and another one of our players got in each others way in desperation to try and clear the danger, which will unfortunatley happen sometimes.

I think this totally sums it up. 

if it was Buendia and another one of our players who got in each other’s way, it would be accepted as one of those things. 

• Like 1

Just now, Condimentalist said:

Second two. He should have been more assertive for their second goal, and the failed clearance for the third was a disaster. 

First goal had his pocket picked a bit but hard to be too hard on him for that. 

Man that's wild  to me, because the only one I'd say he could have done better was the first 1. That touch was sloppy, but it shouldn't have led to a goal, there was still a lot to do.

For the second one, he literally got pushed away from the ball by his own player. Not sure what he was meant to do there. And the third was a successful clearance? Unless you expect him to have the neck muscles of a shot put player, again, not sure what else he could have done there? Llorente should have never gotten to that clearance anyway as that was Konsa's ball to clear.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Yep, I'm sick of seeing that too. He makes too many mistakes that lead to goals - simples. Konsa was poor too by his standards but his mistakes didn't lead to goals. 

I must have been watching a different game.

The first goal was through Konsa's legs. At no stage did he make an attempt to block the shot - just stood in front. He does this a lot.

The second goal Konsa doesn't notice or track the run. The deflection was off him and over both Martinez and Mings. It's unfortunate - but had Konsa been awake 1 minute out from half time.....

The third goal: I don't remember Konsa in this play - but an off balance Mings unfortunately plays the ball back into the mix.

So if you want to be harsh: Mings at fault for 1 - but Konsa for 2.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Man that's wild  to me, because the only one I'd say he could have done better was the first 1. That touch was sloppy, but it shouldn't have led to a goal, there was still a lot to do.

For the second one, he literally got pushed away from the ball by his own player. Not sure what he was meant to do there. And the third was a successful clearance? Unless you expect him to have the neck muscles of a shot put player, again, not sure what else he could have done there? Llorente should have never gotten to that clearance anyway as that was Konsa's ball to clear.

Put it this way, if McGinn had been on the line for the second goal, and was the size of Mings, he'd have got it away, by hook or by crook. Wasn't easy, but it's a situation he should have just dominated.

Third goal is clearly a fluffed clearance, not sure what the reference to neck muscles us about. He needs to get a better contact on it, or at least poke it sideways away from the danger area. Just about anything (including leaving it) would have been better than what he did. 

Having only just seen the 1st Leeds' goal, i'm suprised Mings is getting stick for that (well im not really)

Tracks his runner, tackles him, but then immediately has a Leeds player on him who snaffles the loose ball -  who was backing him up? Even then there's men back, and James has a poor angle, but Konsa puts in a pathetic attempt to block.

3rd goal he's off balance trying to block a free header (cash ball watching), and then the Leeds player has a free follow up because Konsa was ball watching and was wrong side. That after he'd made 3 or 4 clearances in a row including one off the line while everyone else just stood around. He was the only one actually trying to defend.

2nd goal was probably the worst by him, should have just cleaned everyone out. Although why Martinez didnt just catch it instead of relying on outfielders running towards their own goal for a ball 2 yards out i dont know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Put it this way, if McGinn had been on the line for the second goal, and was the size of Mings, he'd have got it away, by hook or by crook. Wasn't easy, but it's a situation he should have just dominated.

Third goal is clearly a fluffed clearance, not sure what the reference to neck muscles us about. He needs to get a better contact on it, or at least poke it sideways away from the danger area. Just about anything (including leaving it) would have been better than what he did. 

I was misremembering the 3rd, thinking his clearance was a header. Looking back at it, the header from Strujk was what, 5 yards in front of him? He could maybe try to get more power on it, or put more of an angle on it, but ultimately he was off balance. I think there were 2 bigger mistakes either side of that. One by Cash, letting Strujk get goalside of him, and the other by Konsa, literally just ball-watching on his heels as Llorente gobbled it up. This was following a herculean effort on his part to keep the ball out of our net in the 30 seconds leading up to the goal.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Wish this imaginary version of McGinn had been on the line for 3rd. Would have been his one positive contribution to the game. Big ol no show from our midfield let Leeds send runners through all game.

Besides our 15 minute period of dominance in the 1st half the defense was under it the entire game. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I missed the game, could only catch the highlights. But none of the goals seemed like a stonewall Mings error to me.

Ball got tangled up in his feet for the first goal and it was pinched off him before he could get it under control. I don't blame him for this because it can happen to anyone and it wasn't as if he put himself in that position by dribbling and losing control. He tackled the Leeds player to stop him and the ball just got stuck under him.

Second goal I'm not even sure how he was involved if he was. The main mistake to me was the person who completely left the Leeds player who was put in the cross. I think it looked like Coutinho?

Third goal was bad luck too. When the ball is headed at you that fast, you could only react to it without thinking too much. It fell onto his weaker right foot too. 

Honestly don't see how you can take away anything other than this. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I was misremembering the 3rd, thinking his clearance was a header. Looking back at it, the header from Strujk was what, 5 yards in front of him? He could maybe try to get more power on it, or put more of an angle on it, but ultimately he was off balance. I think there were 2 bigger mistakes either side of that. One by Cash, letting Strujk get goalside of him, and the other by Konsa, literally just ball-watching on his heels as Llorente gobbled it up. This was following a herculean effort on his part to keep the ball out of our net in the 30 seconds leading up to the goal.

Martinez was in his way so probably saw it late. Was going in if Mings wasn't there as on current form Watkins would have been confused by the football 

31 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I missed the game, could only catch the highlights. But none of the goals seemed like a stonewall Mings error to me.

Ball got tangled up in his feet for the first goal and it was pinched off him before he could get it under control. I don't blame him for this because it can happen to anyone and it wasn't as if he put himself in that position by dribbling and losing control. He tackled the Leeds player to stop him and the ball just got stuck under him.

Second goal I'm not even sure how he was involved if he was. The main mistake to me was the person who completely left the Leeds player who was put in the cross. I think it looked like Coutinho?

Third goal was bad luck too. When the ball is headed at you that fast, you could only react to it without thinking too much. It fell onto his weaker right foot too. 

Second was a comedy of errors but the worst for me was Luiz’s error.  Coutinho is further away than Luiz but Luiz stood still he should have tracked the run instead of leaving it to Coutinho. IMO.

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought at times tonight he was the entirety of our defence, he made a few goal line clearances, won a lot of headers, passed the ball reasonably well and got forward to support well. Konsa looked lost, the fullbacks were poor, McGinn was uninvolved and Martinez was nowhere near his best - I thought he had a good game and was let down by others.

Strange how we can see things so differently.

It’s Tyrone Mings. Obviously the gum chewing casually strutting captain is going to get criticised for other players’ mistakes.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought at times tonight he was the entirety of our defence, he made a few goal line clearances, won a lot of headers, passed the ball reasonably well and got forward to support well. Konsa looked lost, the fullbacks were poor, McGinn was uninvolved and Martinez was nowhere near his best - I thought he had a good game and was let down by others.

Strange how we can see things so differently.

He was caviar and cabbage tonight. One moment he was doing something heroic, next moment he was making a mistake.

People are going over the top with the scapegoating of him, but he IS making mistakes. And quite a few. People aren't just making it up.

Personally I think he made an error in all 3 goals tonight. That doesn't mean the goals are his fault, the second one especially was a shit show from everybody. But he IS making mistakes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He was caviar and cabbage tonight. One moment he was doing something heroic, next moment he was making a mistake.

People are going over the top with the scapegoating of him, but he IS making mistakes. And quite a few. People aren't just making it up.

Personally I think he made an error in all 3 goals tonight. That doesn't mean the goals are his fault, the second one especially was a shit show from everybody. But he IS making mistakes

You could throw the accusation that he is making mistakes at every other player on the pitch tonight - and that's because players are human and make mistakes.

The way I see it, the whole defence, including Mings, made a right bollocks of it tonight. And Luiz and McGinn did very little to help.

Maybe we need a defensive coach? Too many soft goals.

Â