Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He was caviar and cabbage tonight. One moment he was doing something heroic, next moment he was making a mistake.

People are going over the top with the scapegoating of him, but he IS making mistakes. And quite a few. People aren't just making it up.

Personally I think he made an error in all 3 goals tonight. That doesn't mean the goals are his fault, the second one especially was a shit show from everybody. But he IS making mistakes

I can't see an error to blame him for any of the goals.

For the first one he's pulled over to the left, that's fine though, Konsa was covering behind him - but Konsa didn't get anywhere near James. It's possibly on Konsa, it might be on the lack of cover behind Konsa which would have left him feeling he couldn't get tight on James - it's hard to see how it could be aimed at Mings, he's covering a man coming across the box when the goal is scored.

For the second one, the deflected cross falls onto the head of James and Mings is moving backwards across the box to get there, it's difficult to jump in that position - there's some bad luck in the deflection and some poor defending in letting them get to the position to get the cross in, but I don't think that's on him - it's the one I think he'd be most likely to get some stick for though.

For the third one, he's made a clearance a yard off the goal line from a header five yards out, a good effort and he's unfortunate that it's gone straight to a Leeds player who could poke home.

He's made a lot of actual mistakes this season - I didn't think he made any full on mistakes tonight - I thought it was one of his better performances - our two worst players were Konsa and McGinn - for me he played well and was badly let down by those around him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

I must have been watching a different game.

The first goal was through Konsa's legs. At no stage did he make an attempt to block the shot - just stood in front. He does this a lot.

The second goal Konsa doesn't notice or track the run. The deflection was off him and over both Martinez and Mings. It's unfortunate - but had Konsa been awake 1 minute out from half time.....

The third goal: I don't remember Konsa in this play - but an off balance Mings unfortunately plays the ball back into the mix.

So if you want to be harsh: Mings at fault for 1 - but Konsa for 2.

The deflection for the second was nowhere near hitting Konsa. But he did look half asleep and his pressing on the guy that back heeled it was unbelievably half hearted.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He was caviar and cabbage tonight. One moment he was doing something heroic, next moment he was making a mistake.

People are going over the top with the scapegoating of him, but he IS making mistakes. And quite a few. People aren't just making it up.

Personally I think he made an error in all 3 goals tonight. That doesn't mean the goals are his fault, the second one especially was a shit show from everybody. But he IS making mistakes

He is making mistakes well today he is(the Everton abuse he got was a joke) 

Problem is others are making mistakes but its always on Mings. Cash and Konsa have been poor for a few months(Targett also was moaned at a lot compared to them 2)and was probably Martinez worst Villa game but everything is thrown on Mings

6 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

The way I see it, the whole defence, including Mings, made a right bollocks of it tonight. And Luiz and McGinn did very little to help.

Maybe we need a defensive coach? Too many soft goals.

Pretty sure Gerrard was known for building from the back

• Like 1

I do think it would be interesting and would like if we had some kind of poll in the post-match thread just so that we can vote on who do we think is most at fault for a goal conceded if anyone was. Ideally, the result could give us some kind of distribution of blame(60% Mings's fault, 20% Mcginn's fault etc) that would be useful to look back on in the future.

It would probably be a better indicator for a defenders quality than most stats out there. Most stat sites which attempt to count errors aren't good enough for my taste, especially since they don't seem to account for the fact that multiple people can make different degrees of mistakes in the lead up to the goal.

I’ve still seen nobody explain why after every mistake he makes, he needs to all of a sudden try to become a centre forward. Guy gets too emotional and tries to become he-man, just focus on your job. I personally feel his emotions get to him whenever he knows he makes a mistake and that’s why he continues to make more, because he begins to act irrational. He’s allowed to make a mistake but whenever it happens it’s followed by him trying to become an attacker, he wants to make up for it, which is admirable but in a team sport just know your role and shut your mouth as The Rock once said. 

FYI: Mings is trending on Twitter tonight for his bad performance - but yeah, big agenda. Agenda from all those people tweeting too 100%.

Edited by samjp26

Given the context I think Mings desire to drive forward and make things happen, as well as to display his emotions were admirable qualities. We were 2nd best and firmly on the ropes early in the first half. Albeit the game oscillated as it went on and soon enough we found ourselves in a position of strength that we do not want to squander. 

I thought Mings was one who tried to impose his will on the game and looked a very skilled player at times.

As a team we did ourselves no favours for too long in this game and I think Gerrard needs to take the brunt of responsibility in rectifying that.

• Like 1

He does seem to be making errors and they do feel like they are then directly linked to us conceding goals. But I don't blame him entirely and I like the fact he doesn't hide from it. 

The whole back 4 need better protection from the midfield. I'm not sure if Gerrard's system is really geared up to providing that protection. 

Will be interesting to see how Gerrard addresses this issue. 

• Like 3

Why is it, whenever somebody is criticised, are they a scapegoat on this message board? and why is it, whenever Mings is called out for his errors, or poor play, there is an ‘agenda’ against him?

I’ve defended him a lot over the last two years but the people on here telling others they have an agenda against Mings probably need to ask themselves why we keep having to have the same discussion about his mistakes in games.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, samjp26 said:

FYI: Mings is trending on Twitter tonight for his bad performance - but yeah, big agenda. Agenda from all those people tweeting too 100%.

but konsa who looked worse and got sent off isn't

yep, big agenda another week, another saying that mings plays under a microscope that konsa and the others dont, everybody look at mings weak jump for the 2nd goal no one look at how the crosser ghosts past 2 midfielders, mings' touch for the 3rd goal no one look at how cash loses his man, konsa is a complete passenger for all 3 goals

also FWIW i dont think he's great for any of the goals but also again i don't think any of them are "mistakes" he just needed to be stronger for the first 2 and the 3rd is harder than it looks

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

because things that aren't his errors are labelled as his errors and anything he does do wrong is grossly exaggerated 

and no one else in the team gets the same treatment, nowhere near

Ok. Perhaps. 

But we literally have to go round in circles after every other match. 

And the reason we are doing that is because Mings keeps making errors. There just isn’t any getting away from that. He keeps making mistakes. 

He has some superb qualities as a defender but the people saying there is an agenda against him seriously need to ask themselves why they have to keep coming on here to defend him..

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ok. Perhaps. 

But we literally have to go round in circles after every other match. 

And the reason we are doing that is because Mings keeps making errors. There just isn’t any getting away from that. He keeps making mistakes. 

He has some superb qualities as a defender but the people saying there is an agenda against him seriously need to ask themselves why they have to keep coming on here to defend him..

Everyone makes errors though. Konsa was diabolical last night. The second goal luiz was scratching his balls - Coutinho tried getting back for the man Luiz lost, and then Buendia inadvertently helped James into the ball and Tyrone. 

It’s happening in most games but the mistakes Tyrone makes are the ones that are highlighted incessantly.

• Like 3

Mings makes mistakes, yesterday quite a few

Myself wonders if we play on playing Digne and Ramsey on the left side as the two closest players to the LCB. Mings is bloody all alone back there, Digne is halfway to their deadline and Ramsey does not track back to cover that space left open. Leaving Mings with at times as many as 3 players to defend against.

Its seems weird... Konsa at least got Cash and Mcginn to help him

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Everyone makes errors though. Konsa was diabolical last night. The second goal luiz was scratching his balls - Coutinho tried getting back for the man Luiz lost, and then Buendia inadvertently helped James into the ball and Tyrone. 

It’s happening in most games but the mistakes Tyrone makes are the ones that are highlighted incessantly.

that goal is a perfect example for me

the idea that you cant criticise doesn't wash because you can and people are, he's not strong enough and has to win that header - but at the same time the back heel takes out 4 villa players...that cant happen, theres 10 villa players in our penalty area for that goal and 8 of them are passengers stood watching, its shockingly bad defending before it gets anywhere near mings

but its apparently a mings mistake

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

Anyone blaming Mings for the second and third goals last night needs to take a look at themselves. Either you have an agenda against the individual and are looking for any excuse to criticise him, or, and I think this may be the case for a lot of people, you just don't understand/have never played any kind of sport and should probably stick to the playstation/xbox if you for example think, the reaction time it takes for you to press the button on your controller to clear the ball off the line corresponds to an actual human reacting, finding his balance, setting himself and making a clearance off the line like many think that Mings should have done last night.

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

that goal is a perfect example for me

the idea that you cant criticise doesn't wash because you can and people are, he's not strong enough and has to win that header - but at the same time the back heel takes out 4 villa players...that cant happen, theres 10 villa players in our penalty area for that goal and 8 of them are passengers stood watching, its shockingly bad defending before it gets anywhere near mings

but its apparently a mings mistake

The three that tried are Mings and our two number 10’s - Why the Eff were Coutinho and Buendia in our own box near our own goal line? 

Its because two players didn’t do their job elsewhere. But I blame Mings.

• Like 1

we're getting close to the point that i want us to sell him. he's my favourite villa player for a number of reasons and the best captain we've had for years but we as a fanbase don't deserve him. he deserves to go somewhere where he's loved and respected and not have fingers pointed at him week after week for no reason by his own fans

you only need to look at the brentford game to see how the defence goes to complete shit when he's not playing. last night was a bad night for the back 5 of which he was part of...but it was the exception, not the rule.

every single game it's the same. the same people pointing at him for every goal...i know people get triggered by words like 'scapegoat' and 'agenda' but when there's literally nothing he could have done about any of the goals, you can't call it anything else

some people need to take a look at themselves and ask what their real issue is with him, because it can't be his footballing ability

Â