Pre match thread

roonst83

Think we will be well up for this one and take a 2-1 win, yes Leeds currently find themselves top of the pile but they havent been convincing - they would be 3rd if this was last season with the points they've accumulated. We are the home side and unbeaten in 7 and scoring freely so we should fear no one in this league. 

• Like 1

I think Leeds will need to score three to win it.  I think they're capable of that, it'll be a matter of who gets that little bit of luck on the day and who turns up and performs. It's a difficult one to call. I think we'll score against anyone this season - it's a matter of how many the opposition can put past us in return. 

I'll hope the luck stays with us and go 3-2 Villa.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Never really liked Leeds and that was cemented when we beat Leeds at Villa Park 3-2 in the FA Cup and some Leeds fans after the game started attacking families coming out of the North Stand.

On to this game I think it will be a tough game and we'll have to be at our best to win.

Would be happy to see Thor and Kod starting this one.

Thor had surgery a couple of weeks ago didn't he?

I'd be surprised to see him in the team any time soon. Especially starting.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Thor had surgery a couple of weeks ago didn't he?

I'd be surprised to see him in the team any time soon. Especially starting.

It might be too early for him but according to the Birmingham Mail (who could well be wrong):

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-vs-leeds-united-15565579

“I’m hoping for Leeds United that Bjarnason, Lansbury and Jedinak will be back.

“Albert Adomah should be back, too. When you’ve got players of that quality out it will affect the levels of training as well.”

Bjarnason, who started the first three games of Smith’s reign before suffering a groin injury which required surgery and has kept him sidelined for nearly two months, is the most likely to come back in.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Frampton to beat the snot out of Warrington and us to do likewise to them. Think we are better prepared for a game of this magnitude to be honest. Taking absolutely nothing away from the run they've being on. Very impressive, but they've had a few soft touches like Bolton and Reading.  We've played the best teams in the league the last month, have they ?

I agree on paper our run has been against lesser fancied teams but to answer your question, yes we have played them before now & we had a really hard start to the season & blew most of the teams away

stoke 3-1 

derby 4-1 

swansea 2-2

boro 0-0

norwhich 3-0

all before the end of August. 

We’re efficient now & aren’t soft & roll over. Teams set up differently now & drop to the half way line trying to stay compact making it difficult for us but we grind teams down & going to hard places like Bramall Lane & getting a solid 1-0 was the perfect away performance. Bolton on Saturday was made difficult because of the freezing weather & conditions but we came out with the win. Now you’re the home side & will come at us, which if we’re on it defensively like we have been, hopefully as you’re a team that is open & concedes a few we can take advantage. 

this will be a very tough game for both sides I think. Leeds have been very impressive but so have we under Smith so I'm quietly confident. I really hope Grealish will be back in time for this as he is pivotal for our midfield. I think we'll have to take a positive Keegan approach to this meet and just try to overwhelm them. hoping for a win, but I think it'll be a draw.

• Like 1

I can see us getting taught a lesson here and losing heavily. 

Biggest fear is their rockweiler-like intensity and high press versus our clumsy on the ball defenders. If Whelan plays, he’ll force us to mess around with the ball in our own defensive third and they’ll have 3-4 players all over him trying to win the ball. It’s the worst combination to play when the opposition presses high. 

Can’t see us coping with that and think we’ll concede goals very early. Even if we had Ronaldo, Messi and Bale up front, we’d still lose if Whelan plays. 

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I can see us getting taught a lesson here and losing heavily. 

Biggest fear is their rockweiler-like intensity and high press versus our clumsy on the ball defenders. If Whelan plays, he’ll force us to mess around with the ball in our own defensive third and they’ll have 3-4 players all over him trying to win the ball. It’s the worst combination to play when the opposition presses high. 

Can’t see us coping with that and think we’ll concede goals very early. Even if we had Ronaldo, Messi and Bale up front, we’d still lose if Whelan plays. 

Cheer up mate, it's nearly Xmas! ;)

It will be a tough game, but one we should go into with no fear, let's face it (on our day) we are capable of beating any team in this league, especially at Villa Park.

I know we have problems at the back and Leeds have only conceded 1 goal in 5, but there latest defensive line-up was;

Peacock-Farrell

Shackleton   Phillips  Jansson  Douglas

Our front 6 can (and will) cause them problems I am sure of that, they are missing Ayling and Cooper, Phillips (although by all account is playing well) is a CM by trade and I think the keeper looks very shaky when I have seen him (penalty save aside) and the strikers they have faced in this latest run are on a completely inferior level to ours (Sheffield United aside).

Edited by WakefieldVillan

15 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

All the pressure is on us, it's essentially a free hit for Leeds. That could work in our favour, we need a relentless display. SHA beat them, hopefully they have an off day and we can set about them and get the result to give us a good xmas.

That's how I'm viewing it, 5 wins have given us a little breathing space, and I'm confident we've a great chance to win the 2 home games after, so a draw would be just fine at yours, a defeat no disaster, and a victory a massive bonus.

It'll be interesting to watch, as I said a while back, they've had one look at each other already this season, albeit Smith with different players.

There's a lad who I suspect will come on in the second half, Jack Clarke, he's one to watch, think he'll give your full backs plenty to think about, Man City tried to snaffle him but fortunately he decided his route to first team football was more open with us, he is a special talent, be nice to see him go up against Hutton. 😉

Set pieces have been a weakness for us, I expect Bielsa will set up as usual to dominate possession and thereby reduce your chances to pressure us, I'm equally sure Smith will seek to achieve the opposite, game on. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Outside the Small Heath game I think this is now the most important game this season so far for you . 

A win keeps the good sequence going and propels you further up the table whilst clipping Leeds wings.

You always seem threatening in attack so hopefully the defense can stand firm which at times this season has not been the case.

Don't know if Grealish can play but hopefully McGinn will inspire the midfield again ...........that is if we let him back out of Easter Road last Sunday 😉😀

Good luck and as someone else said they will not fancy going to a full and vocal Villa Park 

'mon Villa

Earlier in the season someone asked Bielsa about the "intimidating atmosphere" at Hillsborough.

He pointed out that in Argentina he has walked out to be bombarded by mobile phones, coins, and excrement. He was broadly confident 2018 England doesn't render him sleepless. 😉

Mind you, if the cabbage man is about, who knows …?

Edited by hooter
  • Haha 3

Anyone know what time the Holte Suite opens and is it still season ticket holders only?

Its been a while since i've been in there as i usually drink away from the ground but with a 1.30ko makes things a little difficult along with Sunday service on the trains.