Pre match thread

roonst83

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

Anyone know what time the Holte Suite opens and is it still season ticket holders only?

Its been a while since i've been in there as i usually drink away from the ground but with a 1.30ko makes things a little difficult along with Sunday service on the trains.

Leeds fans are having it for the day. I’ll be in the Tavern early ish. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Sad 1

I think we can beat anyone in this league under Smith. Very confident of that.

However given the form Leeds are in, my gut says we'll lose this one.

No shame in that, just a shame we couldn't win at least one of the last 2 to make it less of a blow.

Will be very pleasantly surprised if we win :D 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hooter said:

Earlier in the season someone asked Bielsa about the "intimidating atmosphere" at Hillsborough.

He pointed out that in Argentina he has walked out to be bombarded by mobile phones, coins, and excrement. He was broadly confident 2018 England doesn't render him sleepless. 😉

Good job Bielsa isn't playing then 😉

12 hours ago, hooter said:

Earlier in the season someone asked Bielsa about the "intimidating atmosphere" at Hillsborough.

He pointed out that in Argentina he has walked out to be bombarded by mobile phones, coins, and excrement. He was broadly confident 2018 England doesn't render him sleepless. 😉

Mind you, if the cabbage man is about, who knows …?

Naff all intimidating about Hillsborough. Different ball game abroad as Bielsa pointed out. I really like Bielsa. Comes across very well and with a bit of class. 

• Like 1

On 18/12/2018 at 13:02, BigRed said:

I Now you’re the home side & will come at us, which if we’re on it defensively like we have been, hopefully as you’re a team that is open & concedes a few we can take advantage. 

We are. We're wide open. You will take advantage, but without blowing our trumpet too much, injuries allowing, under this manager we're the best attacking side in the division by a distance. We'll come at you, you'll take advantage of us at the back - I have no doubt both of those things will happen. Home advantage helps a little and  I think you'll need to score four to win it - I'm not necessarily ruling that out.

• Like 2

Had this argument with a mate of mine. I reckon we are easily the best attacking side in this division. He thinks Leeds a much better. They are a stronger team overall, because they are good going forward, and stronger at the back. We are frightening going forward, but awful at the back. We are one of those teams where we say ok, you might score 2, but we will score 3. Very entertaining, but we need to get more stability at the back. 

Should be really interesting, we are very strong at the back and decent going forward, not great atm but we always score (apart from Boro). 

You are very strong going forward but dodgy at the back and almost always concede. 

Potentially we are the best attacking side in the league imo, averaged nearly 3 goals per game start of the season, that kind of dried up when Hernandez got injured before Boro then Bamford and Roofe joined him vs Millwall. 

Havent really got that goal scoring back which is a worry. 

But with Bamford back and young Jack Clarke now seemingly established there is every chance we could find that scoring form again hopefully.

Plus Pablo creates a goal scoring chance 3 times a game on average.

I dont think you can stop us scoring, Its highly unlikely we will you.

But i think our defence is more likely to cope better with your attack then the other way around. 

We have only conceded more then 1 goal 4 times this season, you've done that just under Dean Smith 5 times.

On that basis i think we have a great chance (i hope).

Edited by Cjay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

We are. We're wide open. You will take advantage, but without blowing our trumpet too much, injuries allowing, under this manager we're the best attacking side in the division by a distance. We'll come at you, you'll take advantage of us at the back - I have no doubt both of those things will happen. Home advantage helps a little and  I think you'll need to score four to win it - I'm not necessarily ruling that out.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Had this argument with a mate of mine. I reckon we are easily the best attacking side in this division. He thinks Leeds a much better. They are a stronger team overall, because they are good going forward, and stronger at the back. We are frightening going forward, but awful at the back. We are one of those teams where we say ok, you might score 2, but we will score 3. Very entertaining, but we need to get more stability at the back. 

This is the most fascinating thing about this match. Bielsa is freakish in his addiction. When Radz rang him to approach him, there was no answer, so he left an answer phone message.

Bielsa rang back the next day, and mentioned he'd just watched seven of our games from last season. Radz flew to Argentina, when he got there, Bielsa had watched every one of our games, plus "selected others from the best teams"

His attention to detail is, it is said, immense, tiny things in training, and in analysis of opponents (rather like a previous manager of ours, many moons ago 😉 )

So far he has had a couple of key rules, if the opponent has 2 strikers, he plays 3 CBs, and asks the full backs to exploit the extra space.

He nearly always aims to press and keep a large proportion of possession. I wonder whether that might change, and he'll invite you on a bit, looking to exploit your weaknesses on the counter.

One thing @Rugeley Villa said which is true, he is a supremely decent and humble bloke. If you are interested I'll try and link to his PC Friday. He'll be unstintingly generous in his praise of everything about Villa, he reprimanded his translator when he suggested our winner at SUFC was the goalie's "fault", which it clearly was, and every problem we've had has been apparently his error, he is fiercely supportive of his players. It is interesting for us to hear how he sees the game, because it happens as he suggests more times than not, frankly after rocket polishers like Evans etc, it is a treat to have a manager that one can listen to, be interested in, and feel proud of. After that scum cnut Bruce you probably understand that sentiment.

Looking forward to it, meeting my old mate "Bob the post" for a pint beforehand, any day I catch up with him is a good day, regardless. 👋

• Like 2

On 17/12/2018 at 09:06, Brumstopdogs said:

True but no different to when we go away to Leeds (I've been in the home end at Leeds for the last 3 matches against them there as can't get tickets in the Villa end!)

That must've been a fun experience given our lack of good results up there recently!

Anyway if Grealish is fit we win this 2-1. If not another frustrating draw.

You'd have to think Kodjia will start. I'd like to see El Ghazi in number 10 position.

Our attackers will certainly get space as Leeds will be way more open than Stoke were, they won't be coming here to park the bus even though their league position means they could easily do that.

Usually got Klich, Allioski and Hernandez floating off their main striker (could be Bamford now he's starting again) and Samuel Saiz was also in that group although seems he's homesick and going back to Spain so won't play. They do have a few missing in defence to balance things out.

On balance 1-1.

On 17/12/2018 at 16:58, Brumstopdogs said:

Never really liked Leeds and that was cemented when we beat Leeds at Villa Park 3-2 in the FA Cup and some Leeds fans after the game started attacking families coming out of the North Stand.

On to this game I think it will be a tough game and we'll have to be at our best to win.

Would be happy to see Thor and Kod starting this one.

That game is easily in my top 5 of live games I've seen. Carbone hat trick (one curled in from near the corner flag) and Merson majestic and drawing blood for the third Carbone goal. Great memories.

On 18/12/2018 at 19:48, hooter said:

That's how I'm viewing it, 5 wins have given us a little breathing space, and I'm confident we've a great chance to win the 2 home games after, so a draw would be just fine at yours, a defeat no disaster, and a victory a massive bonus.

It'll be interesting to watch, as I said a while back, they've had one look at each other already this season, albeit Smith with different players.

There's a lad who I suspect will come on in the second half, Jack Clarke, he's one to watch, think he'll give your full backs plenty to think about, Man City tried to snaffle him but fortunately he decided his route to first team football was more open with us, he is a special talent, be nice to see him go up against Hutton. 😉

Set pieces have been a weakness for us, I expect Bielsa will set up as usual to dominate possession and thereby reduce your chances to pressure us, I'm equally sure Smith will seek to achieve the opposite, game on. 

What's your defensive line up likely to be chap? Pretty sure you've had issues with your keepers getting injured and Ayling, Dallas and Liam Cooper are all out long term. Pontus Jansson is a good defender at this level though, will certainly need his experience to hold things together on Sunday.

All the more impressive you've won your last 5 anyway. I actually do think you'll go up now.

Like I said before the last match I think we will reallly struggle through the middle without Grealish as no one else really sets the attacks up and also all our other midfielders are capable of losing the ball especially against an intense press. The Stoke match was the only match in last 7 we didn’t deserve to destroy the opposition and the fact our only way to create was down the wings worries me as Bielsa will have noticed this. However our attacking 3 are still capable of hurting anyone and their defensive problems give me hope. I think Leeds will be happy to sit quite deep and wait for opportunity to nick it from our midfield and counter. If Grealish is fit we win comfortably, if not a draw.

Edited by stegzy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

What's your defensive line up likely to be chap? Pretty sure you've had issues with your keepers getting injured and Ayling, Dallas and Liam Cooper are all out long term. Pontus Jansson is a good defender at this level though, will certainly need his experience to hold things together on Sunday.

All the more impressive you've won your last 5 anyway. I actually do think you'll go up now.

Likely to be as last couple of games, Douglas LB, a young academy kid Shackleton RB, and Kalvin Phillips, who has been excellent as a DM, partnering Jansson at CB. Only possible change to that is another youngster Halme who has spent some time at CB, he'd probably only play if you played two strikers, in which case we'd play 3 CBs.

Ayling and Cooper back soon apparently, but neither played in U23 game this week so highly unlikely they'll be ready for Sunday.

This looks like a top of the table clash to me and I think that is how the return fixture will be being described in April. Leeds top the table and we really could use a win to cut the gap between the two clubs down to 9 points. This looks as tough a home game as did the visit of table-topping Wolves last season. Hopefully the same sort of performance can give us the same result.

We have played Leeds United a total of 84 times in the league. We have won 28, drawn 28 and have lost 28 so this uncanny symmetry will be broken by this game. They last won at Villa Park 16 years ago. Past games that I recall fondly between the two clubs are our 3-2 FA Cup win in 2000 and our 3-0 LCF win in 1996.

We will not be facing the Leeds of the early 70s with the likes of Terry Cooper, Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter, Billy Bremner, Johnny Giles, Peter Lorimer, Allan Clarke and Eddie Gray. In the same way, they will not be playing the Villa team of a decade later. They currently have quality players such as Peacock-Farrell, Jansson and Douglas. We can put the likes of McGinn, Abraham and hopefully Jack up against them. We have both experienced hard times of late but we are both promotion contenders now and both clubs and sets of fans might just find themselves back in the top flight again next season. May the best team win on Sunday as long as it is us!      

• Like 2