Racism in Football

Zatman

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Easy to be "behind" something that you never have to see or hear.

As far as I can recall, it entirely consisted of a few shirts and posters. All in good intentions, and I'm sure the campaign did more behind the scenes, but did matchgoing fans ever really notice it? I didn't.

I did to be fair 

I always felt that a football crowd maybe wasn't better than general society, football fans aren't better than general society but there's no way you'd get away with casual racism inside VP, the kind of throwaway comments in "jest" that are made in the office in the pub you wouldn't get away with them

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Easy to be "behind" something that you never have to see or hear.

As far as I can recall, it entirely consisted of a few shirts and posters. All in good intentions, and I'm sure the campaign did more behind the scenes, but did matchgoing fans ever really notice it? I didn't.

Which is entirely why people point to it to use instead of BLM. They want this racism malarkey out of sight and out of mind.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I did to be fair 

I always felt that a football crowd maybe wasn't better than general society, football fans aren't better than general society but there's no way you'd get away with casual racism inside VP, the kind of throwaway comments in "jest" that are made in the office in the pub you wouldn't get away with them

Honestly this surprises me. I don't think I've regularly heard as much regular abuse, be it racist, homophobic, or just general anger-fuelled filth as I do down at VP. And yeah they either get told to shut up or people just completely blank them, it's always individuals, but it's far from a rare occurence in my experience in the Holte. It's probably for the best I don't spend any time down Broad Street on a Saturday night if pople are well behaved at the football :)

Edited by Davkaus

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Honestly this surprises me. I don't think I've regularly heard as much regular abuse, be it racist, homophobic, or just general anger-fuelled filth as I do down at VP. And yeah they either get told to shut up or people just completely blank them, it's always individuals, but it's far from a rare occurence in my experience in the Holte. It's probably for the best I don't spend any time down Broad Street on a Saturday night if pople are well behaved at the football :)

I'm terms of just hate then yeah 100%, football is still the game of the working class people to come and scream their bile to get it out of their system, including a guy who got clocked for screaming shit about hoping a player got cancer and died 

Homophobia is an interesting one because I don't know if some people realise they're doing it, stuff like get up you puff and things like that

But racism I've not experienced that much at VP if I'm honest

34 minutes ago, ccfcman said:

Thing is though, it isn't remotely controversial. Repeatedly stating that it is controversial by right wing media has made it so. 

A very quick example taken direct from the BLM GoFundMe page in the UK, as the booing is happening in the UK. The second sentence down reads (emphasis mine):

We’re guided by a commitment to dismantle imperialism, capitalism, white-supremacy, patriarchy and the state structures that disproportionately harm black people in Britain and around the world. 

The abolition of capitalism is a fairly controversial aim, no? They also write under the "How we'll spend the funds!" heading:

Developing and delivering training, police monitoring and strategies for the abolition of police. 

Note that they're not even using the "defund the police" slogan (which apparently actually means funding social services using some of the budget currently used for police rather than literally defunding the police), but abolishing the police entirely. Again, I wouldn't exactly call that a mainstream position.

There are other civil rights organisations that don't come with the same political baggage in the same way that if you're interested in environmentalism, Extinction Rebellion aren't the only game in town.

Edited by Panto_Villan

On 08/06/2021 at 20:54, Keyblade said:

That's honestly shocking. I think you've mentioned this before, but I'm still stunned. The 70's weren't that long ago.

Conversely, you could say that most of those people are likely still alive and that this sentiment never really went away.

Its like  saying in the 1970s that the 1920s wern't long ago.  Its up to 50 years ago. Thats a long long time. 

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its like  saying in the 1970s that the 1920s wern't long ago.  Its up to 50 years ago. Thats a long long time. 

It's within living memory for quite a lot of people. In terms of history, that might as well be yesterday.

37 minutes ago, ccfcman said:

Thing is though, it isn't remotely controversial. Repeatedly stating that it is controversial by right wing media has made it so. 

BLM have some extreme controversial political ideas there is no question about that. Abolishment of the police amongst other radical ideas. 

Like other political movements they have ideas they want to implement in society so to not call it political just isn't true. 

Imo footballers have every right to take the knee but fans have every right to boo without having to be ridiculed for it. 

You can be an anti racist while being against BLM. In fact most of my friends are. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

A very quick example taken direct from the BLM GoFundMe page in the UK, as the booing is happening in the UK. The second sentence down reads (emphasis mine):

We’re guided by a commitment to dismantle imperialism, capitalism, white-supremacy, patriarchy and the state structures that disproportionately harm black people in Britain and around the world. 

The abolition of capitalism is a fairly controversial aim, no? They also write under the "How we'll spend the funds!" heading:

Developing and delivering training, police monitoring and strategies for the abolition of police. 

Note that they're not even using the "defund the police" slogan (which apparently actually means funding social services using some of the budget currently used for police rather than literally defunding the police), but abolishing the police entirely. Again, I wouldn't exactly call that a mainstream position.

There are other civil rights organisations that don't come with the same political baggage in the same way that if you're interested in environmentalism, Extinction Rebellion aren't the only game in town.

BLM movement no longer has nothing to do with kneeling, this has been established many times 

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Croatia aren't taking the knee.

The trends on the word 'Croatia' - my word, so depressing.

https://twitter.com/search?q=Croatia&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

The majority of comments on that Tweet are incredibly sad to read. 

Edited by Designer1

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

"We’re guided by a commitment to dismantle imperialism, capitalism, white-supremacy, patriarchy and the state structures that disproportionately harm black people in Britain and around the world."

Damn, where do I sign up?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

They’re not taking the knee in support of Black Lives Matter though. They’ve explicitly told people on numerous occasions that they’re promoting racial equality with the gesture.

The fact that people are still booing is nothing short of disgraceful. As suggested earlier the cameras zooming in on these morons as they boo would be a good way of deterring the most blatant show of racism on a large scale at football grounds for god knows how many years.

Does everybody who kneels in any situation now do so to show support for BLM or could it be that it was deemed an appropriate gesture for the message which they wanted to spread?

People constantly surprise me and it’s rarely in a good way recently.

Taking the knee was something BLM came up with and started doing long before Floyd's death. 

The players wore black BLM shirts in the start as well. 

You can't say this has nothing to do with BLM. 

Stop taking the knee and show awareness in another way that isn't referring to BLM and the booing will stop, I'm pretty sure. 

If this continues it will have no happy ending. Things will only get worse. 

The smart thing to do is to stop taking the knee. It's so easy to show support and awareness in a different way, this isn't worth. I'm really concerned something nasty could happen if this thing doesn't stop. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

They’re not taking the knee in support of Black Lives Matter though. They’ve explicitly told people on numerous occasions that they’re promoting racial equality with the gesture.

The fact that people are still booing is nothing short of disgraceful. As suggested earlier the cameras zooming in on these morons as they boo would be a good way of deterring the most blatant show of racism on a large scale at football grounds for god knows how many years.

Does everybody who kneels in any situation now do so to show support for BLM or could it be that it was deemed an appropriate gesture for the message which they wanted to spread?

People constantly surprise me and it’s rarely in a good way recently.

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

This! 

I don't know why people are posting links to BLM and their crazy political ideology whatever it might be 

Again, that's what the racists want you to do

They want you to believe this is about Marxism, it's not, it never has been, it is absolute bullshit 

@Panto_Villan you are being duped, hook line and sinker, distraction tactics, they've existed for as long as the civil rights movement 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Taking the knee is not in support of BLM

This is simply untrue

I don't think anybody is saying BLM, or some things associated with it, isn't political. What they're saying is taking the knee isn't political because, and say it louder for those at the back, IT IS NOT IN SUPPORT OF BLM

No they don't. They're racist words removed

Good for them. That doesn't mean they should be against taking the knee

Great to see sórt of normalcy. Even if all the scariest things about BLM are true it gives me a proper giggle. What's the first thing you reckon they'll topple? Capitalism seems unlikely, surely the patriarchy will be much easier... It's a scary left social agenda that weaves the injustics of society into a vomit sandwich for some.

BLM, the scary revolutionaries in the corner are coming for your gammon.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Stop taking the knee and show awareness in another way that isn't referring to BLM and the booing will stop, I'm pretty sure. 

If this continues it will have no happy ending. Things will only get worse. 

The smart thing to do is to stop taking the knee. It's so easy to show support and awareness in a different way, this isn't worth. I'm really concerned something nasty could happen if this thing doesn't stop. 

Even in a world where the purpose has been explicitly stated, the players are still in the wrong?! Just like with Kaepernick, they never disrespected the flag, they were opposing police violence against African Americans. That got lost in the ether along the way.

The problem isnt the booing, it's the racism.

Â