Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

The pressing seems all wrong, we press solo a lot, which is pointless, why arent we pressing in packs?, is this not being worked on in training?, or are they just not getting it?

This is a major thing. It's like the side expects whichever individual is closest to hustle to win the ball back alone, then can't react quickly enough to cover if he doesn't. Also means he has no simple passing options when he does come away with it, so it either goes back to the defense to hoof or it winds up being turned over again because the opposition invariably *do* close down in numbers. It's a big problem for someone like Nakamba, but it's been an issue with better passers like McGinn and Jota, too: first Bournemouth game, Jota got the ball, beat two or three guys in a row with clever dribbling, but the closest Villa player was probably 30 yards away standing next to his marker offering nothing and no other teammates were approaching from any angle, so the players he'd beaten just clamped down on him together and got it back. Happens practically every match, really troublesome.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, New_Hope said:

Thank you Nylons for expressing the extra funding given in strengthening the team.

So you spent more in the summer than the WHOLE time DS was in charge? Gotcha 😉

That’s right,we spent 32 million on transfers in this summer.You will struggle to find half that spent during Deans time with us.

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

Thanks for your response, obviously I don’t agree but differing opinions helps make football so great.

Who would be a great manager in you eyes?  I’m genuinely interested.

I look down the table at teams and I don’t envy managers we could get enough to want to replace Smith.  Around us are the likes of Moyes, Pearson, Farke, Howe, Potter and Dyche...none of them.  Further up the table, the likes of Hasenhuttel, Bruce and Hodgson....again no!  Newbies in terms of Arteta and Lampard...well Smith did better than Lampard last season and Arteta is an unknown and then you get to the big boys who would never look at us like Klopp, Pep and Mourinho.  You could then look at managers that were/are out of work like Poch or Ancelotti who wouldn’t come to us....so genuinely who are these managers out there? Please don’t say Big Sam.

I genuinely don’t have enough knowledge of global football to give you a sensible answer. We have set a vision as a club and it would need to be somebody who fits the vision. Fortunately the likes of Sam are a million miles away from that!

I absolutely love Poch. He would not join us at the moment but somebody with similar ideals from abroad. I really wanted Rodgers when we sacked Bruce. I thought he may be attainable at that time but clearly not now.

What about Bielsa from Leeds? If they don’t go up this season he may be up for a change.

26 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

That’s right,we spent 32 million on transfers in this summer.You will struggle to find half that spent during Deans time with us.

Dean spent 100+ millions and we are still leaking goals.

Conceded as many as Norwich now.

You would still be leaking goals even if he got to spend what you have done in the summer.

7 hours ago, Enda said:

I was using short-hand when I said we'd be in the relegation zone in a month. As in literally the next sentence mentioned our next "ten or so matches" being a tough run. So, despite having clarified this was obvious short-hand, yer man there went back to the focus on exactly one month... not that he was being pedantic or anything 😉

But that is what you said. Which is why he disagreed with you. As would I. 

Being in the relegation zone in 1 month or being in the relegation zone at some point between now and the end of the season are two massively different things. 

Just now, M_Afro said:

I genuinely don’t have enough knowledge of global football to give you a sensible answer. We have set a vision as a club and it would need to be somebody who fits the vision. Fortunately the likes of Sam are a million miles away from that!

I absolutely love Poch. He would not join us at the moment but somebody with similar ideals from abroad. I really wanted Rodgers when we sacked Bruce. I thought he may be attainable at that time but clearly not now.

What about Bielsa from Leeds? If they don’t go up this season he may be up for a change.

Bielsa isn't happening unless Leeds bottles it again and it isn't looking very likely atm.

Benitez the most realistic top tier appointment. He would cost a lot in terms of wages but would be a great appointment.

Also seeing the saltiness from Newcatle fans would be hilarious.

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Bielsa isn't happening unless Leeds bottles it again and it isn't looking very likely atm.

Benitez the most realistic top tier appointment. He would cost a lot in terms of wages but would be a great appointment.

I have my doubts about Benitez especially as Bruce is doing better with similar resources.   I am not sure his day has passed and a new wave of coaches and style is where it’s at.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Villarocker said:

What do you think Wilder is doing differently this season to that of last season? 

Wilder has had his team and developed them over the last few seasons. What i would say is they play to there own strengths. They play as a team not as individuals and they keep the same system week in week out. 

wilder is doing nothing different. Not a good comparison to Villa as our situation was totally different at the start of the season.    

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Rafa went to China to earn silly money, forget this Ashley forced him out nonsense, he earns incredible money over there, the rumour is £12m a year which puts him on more than pep and klopp

He's not coming back 

I think Dean needs to be allowed to make mistakes, learn and develop as much as anyone one else at the club. My concern centres on the inconsistencies in the player performance but not sure he has the depth of squad for the threat of being dropped to be effective, he also still has to gel a very new set of playing personnel whilst under fire, it’s a conundrum. Sacking the manager will make no difference now, and sets us back in my view.

My complaint is our defence is terrible, and that is still the case with 5 at the back and a defensive midfielder, it must be down to coaching? I think Hause looks a weakness in surrendering possession which puts us under pressure, but even Mings is guilty of sloppiness in possession and sadly belt and braces defending too. I think the whole “ play every game the same way, to win” is proving to be terribly naive as a newly promoted side in the toughest league in the world, we need to batten down the hatches, and build on a solid defensive model which we just don’t have.

The other massive issue is the total failure to defend corners or set pieces, AND attacking corners or free kicks too, we are woeful and seemingly have not addressed this with any success (you hope at least they are trying).

Edited by thunderball

16 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Wilder has had his team and developed them over the last few seasons. What i would say is they play to there own strengths. They play as a team not as individuals and they keep the same system week in week out. 

wilder is doing nothing different. Not a good comparison to Villa as our situation was totally different at the start of the season.    

Wilder's teams are also always very solid at the back. Something Smith's teams has never been.

Again, we overly rely on Jack and maybe he is taking on too much himself as well. We need to select the right system and players to give us more creative options or outlets. We really seem to be lacking in that regard.
Out crossing was dreadful against Bournemouth too, maybe we should look to play more through balls and incisive passes through the centre.

We can’t sign anymore players so need to make do with what we have. The creative burden needs to be shared and I think, after Jack, the only players we have with that kind of ability are Jota (I know he’s not the best, slow & lightweight, but he passes the ball really well), El Ghazi & possibly Luiz.

There’s also Hourihane & maybe Lansbury too but I think they’ve shown that either they’re not good enough at this level and/or are out of favour. We should try and utilise Conor’s free kick ability when possible though, Jack is not that great at them...

Jota has had his injury troubles but if we can get him in the side it might help. Maybe we should ditch or rest El Ghazi for a while. I don’t rate Trez at all, he’s good off the bench for snatching a goal and making an impact and his work rate is good, he always seems to tire easily though and is a bit “all over the place”.

I wonder if Jack & Jota behind Samatta would be a solution. I think we have no choice but to try & make use of Drinkwater as he can be a stabilising influence on Nakamba & Luiz. We should utilise Luiz more as a box to box or creative/attacking midfielder, at least until McGinn returns...

18 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I have my doubts about Benitez especially as Bruce is doing better with similar resources.   I am not sure his day has passed and a new wave of coaches and style is where it’s at.

Not really.

Benitez defensive coaching is probably still installed in their team. Made the job a lot easier for Bruce.

Avoiding relegation with that mediocre team is still an impressive job. What Bruce has done is incredible really, don't think he receives enough credit.

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I agree with this.

Like a 3412 (where the 1 is grealish as AM), would play samatta as the fox/ferret and then Davis or Baston.

I agree our wing play is pointless generally, with Jack in in AM role he can drift anywhere, then our wing backs can provide the width as required.

Wingers are fine if they offer something, which Ghazi or trez dont most of the time, we cant afford passengers.

Like:

Reina

Konsa - Engels - Mings 

Guilbert - Luiz - Nakamba - Targett

Grealish

Samatta - Davis or Baston

That formation is exactly what we need to be playing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Rafa went to China to earn silly money, forget this Ashley forced him out nonsense, he earns incredible money over there, the rumour is £12m a year which puts him on more than pep and klopp

He's not coming back 

He also performed about the same as Steve Bruce with a similar footballing style. 

The myth of Rafa is strong

• Like 1

I’m curious about this set up:

Reina

Guilbert   Engels   Mings     Targett

Nakamba.        Drinkwater

Luiz

Jota.          Grealish

Samatta

El Ghazi & Hourihane to rotate or alternative to Jota.

Engels is our 2nd best CB imo.

Everyone else off the bench. E.g. bring on Trez near the end to run at tired legs.

I know 3/5 at the back has “got us by” but I wonder if it’s time has passed and I’ve always seen playing essentially 5 defenders (inc LB & RB or even LWB & RWB) as quite negative unless you have major quality & physicality in Midfield - we don’t have that imo.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

You sure about that?

Still can't get my head around us being joint worst defensive side in the league.

47 goals conceded. Same amount as Norwich. It's frightening.

This was always my worry with Smith looking at his previous defensive records.

Even with 5 at the back we are still conceding goals. Even if we somehow manage to stay up Smith has to go in the summer imo.

11 hours ago, nick76 said:

We got promoted from nowhere last season.

We lost most of our squad so had to have a complete new squad for the PL

We started ok, then had a major blip but have turned it around with something like 3 wins, 2 draws and a loss until another loss today.  We didn’t have a back up striker and we didn’t have a striker for a few games until Samatta came in which wasn’t Smiths fault but Suso from what we can gather.

We are in a cup final and not in the bottom three after two thirds of the season.  Our realistic target this season was to avoid relegation and we are on target for that after being the worst team promoted last season.

Smith is doing a fantastic job, yes still learning and making mistakes but to replace him just seems absurd after what we have achieved and are achieving over the last 12 months.

This is where we were this time last season

99F058F4-8733-4E6F-ACD3-2EF09EDDE238.jpeg

Don't come round here with facts!

We'll have none of that. 

• Haha 1

Â