Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He highly criticized our transfer business in the summer. Said it was way too many players in one window.

He would have most likely kept a bunch of the experienced players like Whelan, Jedinak and Adomah and make us hard to beat. And at the same time added 3-4 players with PL experience (Not a bunch of inexperienced players from abroad).

We’re not hard to beat are we 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

No one is suggesting Allardyce should be a long term appointment.

His role is to stabilize the club for 2-3 years.

Football has moved on since managers don’t stick around for long , managers are like your cars now,,

when it shows them signs you just move them on & get a new one 

Just now, villalad21 said:

No one is suggesting Allardyce should be a long term appointment.

His role is to stabilize the club for 2-3 years.

I’m not saying anything about those things. You claimed in response to one of my posts (fairly patronisingly, it must be said, but I’m not upset about that) “he finished 1st in the Championship but ok...” and I just pointed out that was not true. You then cited Everton as an example of his success and I pointed out that the fans there hounded him out after six months because they were playing awful football so it was an odd example to pick given that he has done various good things in his career. I haven’t argued with any of the points of him being a good manager or not. In fact I said that I like him despite worrying he’s past his best. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Actually you are right, my bad.

Still he comfortably stabilized West Ham in the Premier League the season after and he did finish 8th with Everton. Not bad for a supposedly "crap" manager.

We are trying to go on a different path. We are trying to build something that will last. Something bigger than the current head coach. We have been through endless depressing cycles of a bloke coming in, bringing his own boys with him, buying his own players, getting sacked after 2-3 years to be replaced by a new guy who does exactly the same thing whilst the squad swells with loads of overpaid, underused players who we cannot get rid off. It is brain dead and depressing!

We now have a structure that means the above can’t happen again. I know it is hard, particularly after a horrible defeat like Southampton but we need to remove the emotion from the situation and have the courage to stick with the long term plan (cue me calling for DS to be sacked if we lose to Norwich!)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Let's see if the manager starts having a go at the fans first. It may not happen with such a gent at the helm, not a potato headed cretin.

but he was right! 2 bad performances and people want deano sacked FFS!! people took offense to bruce saying we're 1 or 2 bad results from a crisis and look at the state of some of the posts on here!

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

but he was right! 2 bad performances and people want deano sacked FFS!! people took offense to bruce saying we're 1 or 2 bad results from a crisis and look at the state of some of the posts on here!

Same as O’Leary and the fickle comment. It was bang on. We are fickle. Doesn’t mean a manager is ever smart to say it though, haha.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, useless said:

Newcastle are the highest placed team we've beat this season, they were fourteenth, so it's not only the better teams we're struggling to beat.

there seems to be a lot more "better" teams than we thought there would be 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

If it was 'only two bad performances ', we wouldn't be in the relegation zone......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Graham t said:

If it was 'only two bad performances ', we wouldn't be in the relegation zone......

you can have a loss/draw and it not be a bad performance.

liverpool wasnt a bad performance. nor was arsenal. nor was spurs. nor was man u, bournemouth, west ham, city, chelsea etc

the last 2 are the only ones that have been actual, really shite performances. aside from that we've had some rotten luck, **** over by VAR, beaten by just better (world class) teams, with a few individual errors thrown in too

7 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

Somehow this tells me that you may be out of touch of modern football.

He is, as most clubs are run today, head coach not manager, this means that he is most likely involved, but is no by any means the main man when signing players, this is the job of the scouts and director of football, so you really can't blame him solely on the signings.

Wouldn't listen to a word that villalad21 posts! He really hasn't a clue.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We are trying to go on a different path. We are trying to build something that will last. Something bigger than the current head coach. We have been through endless depressing cycles of a bloke coming in, bringing his own boys with him, buying his own players, getting sacked after 2-3 years to be replaced by a new guy who does exactly the same thing whilst the squad swells with loads of overpaid, underused players who we cannot get rid off. It is brain dead and depressing!

We now have a structure that means the above can’t happen again. I know it is hard, particularly after a horrible defeat like Southampton but we need to remove the emotion from the situation and have the courage to stick with the long term plan (cue me calling for DS to be sacked if we lose to Norwich!)

I don't think Smith is the right man for a long term solution.

Tactically he is inept at this level. He's already been found out. Leicester and Southampton exploited us the same way and he doesn't react. He is reactive not pro active.

The way he handled the Mings AEG situation was poor. He appears to be too soft. There are signs suggesting he is losing the trust by his players. When things doesn't work he doesn't change. The persistence with Wesley is killing us.

Edited by villalad21

Lets not rely on hope. We are in a crisis. We are in the bottom 3, we are now closer to bottom than to safety

Fed up of hearing how we nearly beat some one and how well we were doing against top teams until they scored  against us . The results show we lost 

How long can we do the same things for and hope it works. It is not working, that is statistically obvious to every one except for the guys selecting the players, their positions and the style of play. If they are not prepared to change the above. Then they have to be changed 

Something needs to change. A change of players, tactics or manager - may not work, perhaps we just aren't good enough 

But for gods sake try something different. 

• Like 3

I for one really hope Smith leads us into the New Year on the back of a couple of positive results.  I want him to succeed here I really do.  Let’s see if there is a positive reaction from the players against Norwich and possibly Watford. 

Think we’ll know by the weekend if the players are still on board with Smith.  If not and we suffer two further defeats, then I think it’s the end of the road for Smith. No point continuing to have blind faith, as the place would need a complete lift going into New Year. 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think Smith is the right man for a long term solution.

Tactically he is inept at this level. He's already been found out. Leicester and Southampton exploited us the same way and he doesn't react. He is reactive not pro active.

The way he handles the Mings AEG situation was poor. He appears to be too soft. There are signs suggesting he is losing the trust by his players.

Just because he SAID he let them sort it out, doesn't make it so...perhaps he didn't want the media blowing it out of proportion...did you perhaps consider that and in fact he gave them both the hairdryer treatment?

You, me nor anyone else has the first **** clue on how to manage professional, highly paid athletes. we have no idea of the dynamic within the club. we have no idea what the personalities are like of those two players. who the hell are we or anyone else to judge on whether the way he dealt with the situation was right or not. by throwing the book at them for what was barely even an incident in itself could have lost the trust of the players. it was a million miles from the dyer/bowyer ffs

44 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

The endless cycle isn't because we change managers - its because of the stupid managerial appointments we make in the first place - Garde, sherwood, Mcleish, RDM - if you appoint junk you will need to change more often.

3 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Lets not rely on hope. We are in a crisis. We are in the bottom 3, we are now closer to bottom than to safety

Fed up of hearing how we nearly beat some one and how well we were doing against top teams until they scored  against us . The results show we lost 

How long can we do the same things for and hope it works. It is not working, that is statistically obvious to every one except for the guys selecting the players, their positions and the style of play. If they are not prepared to change the above. Then they have to be changed 

Something needs to change. A change of players, tactics or manager - may not work, perhaps we just aren't good enough 

But for gods sake try something different. 

Totally agree with the bit in bold. This is where Smith can help himself and team. Try something different, even if it’s only of a couple of games. 433 is not working at present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ferguson1 said:

Totally agree with the bit in bold. This is where Smith can help himself and team. Try something different, even if it’s only of a couple of games. 433 is not working at present.

It's not even that 4-3-3 isn't working. It can - but it seems all the other teams have worked us out.

4 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

It's not even that 4-3-3 isn't working. It can - but it seems all the other teams have worked us out.

Agreed, so we should try something different and surprise a few teams.

Edited by ferguson1

9 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

It's not about the formation. It's about the instructions. The shape. There is too big of a gap from midfield to defense.

Smith is telling our fullbacks and midfield to bomb forward and it leaves a lot of space to the opponent.

We are very easy to play against. Just wait for us to go forward, win the ball and counter us to pieces.

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

To be fair in the Press Conference yesterday Deano did look like he was close to being pissed off a couple of times, everytime a reporter highlights the bad run/results. 

He was trying to remind people of how far we have come in a short time, and also that we are also into the semi - final of the Carabao cup.

I was thinking "Keep your cool man, you won't be doing yourself any favours if you lose it, have seen this movie before". lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Â