Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

what game will the cauliflower appear?

ok ....only joking.

Let's see if the manager starts having a go at the fans first. It may not happen with such a gent at the helm, not a potato headed cretin.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Let's see if the manager starts having a go at the fans first. It may not happen with such a gent at the helm, not a potato headed cretin.

If you look hard enough you may just spot the “potato-headed cretin” up there in the top half of the premier league. 

Somewhere we are conspicuously not.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If you look hard enough you may just spot the “potato-headed cretin” up there in the top half of the premier league. 

Somewhere we are conspicuously not.

Yet embarrassingly lost to our relegation fodder team

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yet embarrassingly lost to our relegation fodder team

Sadly that one result won’t save us. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Smith has much to do to earn the right to sneer at Steve Bruce, or for any Villa fans to do so on his behalf.

Edited by briny_ear

7 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Sadly that one result won’t save us. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Smith has much to do to earn the right to sneer at Steve Bruce, or for any Villa fans to do so on his behalf.

Well Smith isn't sneering at Bruce what a weird accusation

His 4 wins and 2 draws in 6 games vs Bruceball would give him a fair enough reason to sneer if that was in his character

• Thanks 1

One of modern life’s more annoying manifestations is the one-star Amazon book review which says something like ‘I thought this was a thriller but it isn’t, it’s a cookbook’. In other words, the failure was of their expectations and not of the book. There is nothing worse than being judged negatively for not being what someone expects, when that expectation was born out of ignorance in the first place. On such habits are many divorces based, I imagine.

But one of modern football’s most powerful drivers and most corrosive elements is exactly that: expectation.

https://www.football365.com/news/expectation-is-destroying-our-love-of-football

Worth a read.

Edited by Adam2003

i still think big sam was a better fit over DS ,said last year he was the best option,,im sure we would not be in the bottom 3 & playing clueless football, 

think sam would put up with wes up top ? no chance ..but we have a manager in DS who is "one of our own".

DS has the comfort of "getting us up" & spending a few quid..but now the bubbles from the champs has a bad taste

18 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

i still think big sam was a better fit over DS ,said last year he was the best option,,im sure we would not be in the bottom 3 & playing clueless football, 

think sam would put up with wes up top ? no chance ..but we have a manager in DS who is "one of our own".

DS has the comfort of "getting us up" & spending a few quid..but now the bubbles from the champs has a bad taste

If Big Sam had come in we might have finished mid table championship. “The comfort of getting us up” indeed. This club...

That’s not to say Sam wouldn’t do well now, he’s a decent manager. But this view is as much guesswork as when people were saying “if Smith had come in a year earlier we would have been promoted a year earlier” (when Smith was the second coming on here three months ago...)

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

If Big Sam had come in we might have finished mid table championship. “The comfort of getting us up” indeed. This club...

That’s not to say Sam wouldn’t do well now, he’s a decent manager. But this view is as much guesswork as when people were saying “if Smith had come in a year earlier we would have been promoted a year earlier” (when Smith was the second coming on here three months ago...)

yep, all about personal views..like i said .."i think".. could have been worse your right .

as were sitting where we are now, its now looking great under DS, 

33 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

yep, all about personal views..like i said .."i think".. could have been worse your right .

as were sitting where we are now, its now looking great under DS, 

I would also worry Big Sam might be past it. Managers tend to have a shelf life and he might just have outlived his. With Smith my big positive is I hope he can learn (I don’t expect him to instantly be a PL coach after three months) and therefore be on an upslope over the next couple of years. Whereas Allardyce would be more a short-term fix.

41 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Last time he managed in Championship he finished 1st, but ok..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Last time he managed in Championship he finished 1st, but ok..

I have seen this posted a couple of times but I don’t think it’s true. Am I forgetting a club he managed? When do you think this happened? Last time he was in the Champ didn’t he come up in the playoffs with West Ham 2012-13? With fans protesting his style of play even as they were promoted?

After that I don’t remember him being at a Championship club but please do correct my memory.

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I have seen this posted a couple of times but I don’t think it’s true. Am I forgetting a club he managed? When do you think this happened? Last time he was in the Champ didn’t he come up in the playoffs with West Ham 2012-13? With fans protesting his style of play even as they were promoted?

After that I don’t remember him being at a Championship club but please do correct my memory.

Actually you are right, my bad.

Still he comfortably stabilized West Ham in the Premier League the season after and he did finish 8th with Everton. Not bad for a supposedly "crap" manager.

The ultimate question is would Sam have done better with £100m ? 
bottom 3 on Xmas day ? 
the ship has sailed now but I think over all Sam is better than DS , we are what we are , the board have just given DS a new contract so that’s that . 

Just now, villalad21 said:

Actually you are right, my bad.

Still he comfortably stabilized West Ham in the Premier League the season after and he did finish 8th with Everton. Not bad for a supposedly "crap" manager.

I don’t think he’s crap at all, but you are picking funny examples. He was essentially bombed out of both those clubs because of the fans complaining about how terrible his football was. His Everton team were famously the least creative team in the division. Significantly less attacking than any Steve Bruce team ever was, so you can imagine the Villa reaction.

You’d be better off citing examples like keeping up Sunderland and Palace, at least their fans were t demanding he was sacked when he left!

Poor bloke really screwed it with England didn’t he. Wanted that his whole career and it all fell apart trying to make a few extra quid and play the big man.

3 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

The ultimate question is would Sam have done better with £100m ? 
bottom 3 on Xmas day ? 
the ship has sailed now but I think over all Sam is better than DS , we are what we are , the board have just given DS a new contract so that’s that . 

He highly criticized our transfer business in the summer. Said it was way too many players in one window.

He would have most likely kept a bunch of the experienced players like Whelan, Jedinak and Adomah and make us hard to beat. And at the same time added 3-4 players with PL experience (Not a bunch of inexperienced players from abroad).

Edited by villalad21
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I don’t think he’s crap at all, but you are picking funny examples. He was essentially bombed out of both those clubs because of the fans complaining about how terrible his football was. His Everton team were famously the least creative team in the division. Significantly less attacking than any Steve Bruce team ever was, so you can imagine the Villa reaction.

No one is suggesting Allardyce should be a long term appointment.

His role is to stabilize the club for 2-3 years.

Â