Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

It's not about the formation. It's about the instructions. The shape. There is too big of a gap from midfield to defense.

Smith is telling our fullbacks and midfield to bomb forward and it leaves a lot of space to the opponent.

We are very easy to play against. Just wait for us to go forward, win the ball and counter us to pieces.

systems are a smoke screen.. look at the headed goal southampton scored ,or any of the goals in that game, 

if you think playing 442-54321,911 or any other way, its basic football

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yep. The style of play is simply too naive.

Farke's style will cause relegation. Smith's style will cause relegation, Wilder's won't.

As a promoted team what is the best way getting results? Bombing forward when you come up against better players in every position every week, leaving yourself exposed at the back. Or stay organized, making yourself hard to beat?

organised -simple basic football

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yes.....and if the same problems exist, we are in trouble.

there is no evidence to date to suggest, it will change.....just hope.

we have half a season and we must use it productively.

TRO I have the feeling you really want to just say Smith Out without ever directly saying those words. Your criticisms of Smith have been scathing and its quite clear you don't seem to think he is capable of turning it around, yet for some reason you've never actually commited yourself to the position of wanting Smith out. Even though almost everything else in your posts suggest that you would.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

If you look hard enough you may just spot the “potato-headed cretin” up there in the top half of the premier league. 

Somewhere we are conspicuously not.

What's your point?

Bruce had us sat bottom half of champ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

The endless cycle isn't because we change managers - its because of the stupid managerial appointments we make in the first place - Garde, sherwood, Mcleish, RDM - if you appoint junk you will need to change more often.

Agreed but we still let all of those managers sign their own players without a consistent vision and process. They are all so different it is not even funny.

We now have a system that will enable the right kind of head coach to flourish and will bring consistency. We need to be brave and stick to the vision, which I am confident will happen.

Just now, M_Afro said:

Agreed but we still let all of those managers sign their own players without a consistent vision and process. They are all so different it is not even funny.

We now have a system that will enable the right kind of head coach to flourish and will bring consistency. We need to be brave and stick to the vision, which I am confident will happen.

Lambert had a vision tbf, at least at first.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Whelan and Jedinak would 100 % have worked under Allardyce.

Can guarantee you that we wouldn't be anywhere near the bottom 3 with Allardyce in charge.

Smith is inexperienced at this level and it's showing. But then again so is Wilder, but Wilder's style of play is much more effective as a promoted team.

Wilders format is more conducive to consolidating.....we are more hit and miss.

the other thing is.....when Wilder brings players in, they are introduced to a very hard working team that is gelled from dept to dept a cohesive unit.....that is the backdrop to give a player a much better chance of making it.

in contrast....we are so individual and lack cohesion from dept to dept....much too open and it results in tired legs constantly recovering.....no wonder players struggle to integrate and make their mark.

look at it in another way..if this villa side was to play 18 games in the championship right now,, do you think DS would guide villa to the top?

would wes start banging them in ? 

could villa control games & see out games ? 

if you think yes then were all good. because we could be in that league next year with out a couple of our better players, this is a realistic picture .

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Lambert had a vision tbf, at least at first.

That’s precisely my point. They all had a vision but unfortunately they were all different. A consistent approach that sits above ant head coach is the only sensible option.

7 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

look at it in another way..if this villa side was to play 18 games in the championship right now,, do you think DS would guide villa to the top?

if you think yes then were all good. because we could be in that league next year with out a couple of our better players, this is a realistic picture .

Without Jack Grealish and Wesley in for Abraham in the team this time and who knows who else without? Probably not.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Really unfair to compare Smith to Wilder. The latter has had several years to work with his team and on his system with minor tweaks along the way. Smith has had a year and had to build 2 completely new teams in that team whilst adjusting to the highest level. He may not be cut out for it. But writing him off under those circumstances is very unfair in my opinion. 

I really hope he proves many of you wrong. If we do sack him the next appointment is crucial. Another Garde type situation and we’re truly f**ked.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

I'm afraid we won't have Jack Grealish and that is a huge concern. I can't remember an attack that didn't involve him this season.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think that is reasonable Dave.......but he cannot hide behind a team that shows such a poor and at times incompetent defence.....i'm talking team here not just the back four.

If Dean is the man, we all want him to be....He needs to show that he can deal with our defensive frailities.

I do share the view that the recruitment is the most questionable element of it all.

I agree that there are issues at the back and in general with the way in which we defend. Recently we have become a soft touch, of that there is no doubt. 

Whist I’ve stated that we have to stick together, along the journey it’s not unreasonable to assume that there will be tweeks to the way in which we approach things on and off the pitch. People will fall by the wayside along the way no doubt. If the powers that be decide that the recruitment team is the problem then changes should be made, to either the philosophy or personnel. Similarly if the coaching is the issue then that needs to be addressed.

However we have clearly stated that we are trying to build a philosophy and style throughout the club, so that we can change the head coach without completely changing that style. In the past there has been wholesale changes with every departing manager. From Houllier to McLeish was frankly ridiculous. I think it is important that if we do decide to change the head coach then that decision needs to be well thought out and planned. Knee jerk sackings and getting in the likes of Big Sam to put a sticking plaster over the problem won’t work long term. We’d be left to start again with the wrong personnel and be carrying out yet another rebuild.

I’m not advocating sticking with the same people and the same plan for the sake of it, but I don’t think change for the sake of it works either. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm afraid we won't have Jack Grealish and that is a huge concern. I can't remember an attack that didn't involve him this season.

The team without Jack Grealish were 5 minutes away from beating the best team in the world right now. This team without Jack would easily challenge for top 2 in the championship under Smith.  Hoping it doesn’t need to come to that though. 

• Like 1

Â