Dean Smith

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, CoNnErS said:

If we are going to survive this season, which 3 teams does everyone think will finish below us?

Watford 

Norwich 

Southampton 

West Ham 

Brighton 

Bournemouth 

We’ll finish above that lot. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CoNnErS said:

We did get hammered, against Leicester!! 4-1 flattered us! If it wasn’t for Heaton that would have been 6 or 7 easy!

Nah, I'm talking about something even more embarassing. at least 4 or 5 goal deficit kind of thing. Its coming with the way we've been defending imo. If we happen to catch the likes of Leicester or Man City again on a day like they were against Southampton and Watford respectively(who both actually aren't that bad defensively), it'll be embarassing to say the least/

Edited by Laughable Chimp

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If we are going to survive this season we need a head coach who knows how to organize a defense

Yes we get your point. about the 18th time you mentioned it today

Is it today's version of a proven manager?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If we are going to survive this season we need a head coach who knows how to organize a defense

A couple of days ago you said we'd be mid table if we had started the season with Kodjia upfront, so why is Smiths ability to organise a defence now the problem?

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

A couple of days ago you said we'd be mid table if we had started the season with Kodjia upfront, so why is Smiths ability to organise a defence now the problem?

The whole Kodjia thing is much too late now i'm afraid.

He is nowhere near match fit. If you have a real goalscorer up front you can get away with a shaky defense, but we don't.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The whole Kodjia thing is much too late now i'm afraid.

He is nowhere near match fit. If you have a real goalscorer up front you can get away with a shaky defense, but we don't.

You're missing the point. 

You said we'd be mid table if Kodjia was upfront, suggesting that the only problem was the forwards. 

You're now saying Smith can't organise a defence, the irony of both those claims of course is that before our best defender got injured we had the best goal difference in the bottom half of the league. 

You are contradicting yourself simply to have a pop a Smith, just as you did for most of last season. 

33 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Watford 

Norwich 

Southampton 

West Ham 

Brighton 

Bournemouth 

We’ll finish above that lot. 

Hope so!

A lot of fans I've spoken to were so confident this season. The strength everywhere else in the league is what concerned me after about 3 games even though we looked OK.

Lampard changed formation for Chelsea and played a three at the back after a stinking run of form at the weekend. They got a great win away from home. I want to see Smith trying something different at some point this season. It's very silly to continually play the same shape if we're getting battered every game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

You're missing the point. 

You said we'd be mid table if Kodjia was upfront, suggesting that the only problem was the forwards. 

You're now saying Smith can't organise a defence, the irony of both those claims of course is that before our best defender got injured we had the best goal difference in the bottom half of the league. 

You are contradicting yourself simply to have a pop a Smith, just as you did for most of last season. 

No leaking goals is always a problem but if you score enough goals you can get away with it.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No leaking goals is always a problem but if you score enough goals you can get away with it.

You still haven't answered this bit about our awful defence. 

11 minutes ago, av1 said:

before our best defender got injured we had the best goal difference in the bottom half of the league. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

You still haven't answered this bit about our awful defence. 

Even before Mings got injured we could still see the rot coming.

Chelsea performance was awful and i think the Leicester game would be the same story even if Mings stayed fit.

Norwich had 20 shots against us, Brighton 21 (with 10 men) games we actually won because our attack still were strong at this point. But if your attack have a dip in form and you keep conceding 20 shots every game you got no chance of survival

Edited by villalad21

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

So even though we had a better goal difference than anyone in the bottom half of the League you saw into the future and knew it was all going to go to pot? So again, why did you claim we'd finish mid table with Kodjia up top if you foresaw a defensive collapse?

Is it because that suited your Wesley agenda and this now suits your Smith agenda?

As you can see into the future I'd ask where we are going to finish this season, but I think I'll instead use my special mind reading powers and guess your answer:

'20th if we don't sack Smith, mid table if we get a "proven manager"

Am I close?

15 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I do value it, massively. I just think it's an easy thing to blame when things are going wrong. Often if you're not winning the second balls it's as much about positioning and anticipation as heart.

Yeah, I accept that......but if you are doing it match to match, you need the heart and determination to put it right......not keep drifting in to game after game doing the same things wrong.

just to make a point......El Ghazi was perfectly positioned to challenge Stevens to a header......what are we going to say to that, but he's a winger?

Its just too many excuses.

57 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The defence has been a problem all season I agree. So should the concern not be, to some extent at least, with JT who I assume plays a leading role with the coaching and organisation of the defence. If he doesn’t then I’m not sure why we employ him. 

The majority of the concern from fans has been the dreadful form since the draw at Old Trafford. In mitigation we’ve mostly played some very good sides and in the last couple of games suffered injuries to key players. However that doesn’t explain fully the complete falling off the cliff we’ve suffered.

Previously win, lose or draw we’ve generally been competitive and together as a squad, recently that hasn’t been the case. It almost seems that something isn’t right behind the scenes. I’ve heard some posters, I believe you are one of them, trot out the “lost the dressing room” line. I don’t believe that’s true as I don’t think we have those kind of big time Charlies in the squad. However something ain’t right and perhaps the defensive coach is feeling the heat? I’m not saying he is deliberately agitating, although he does have form, but perhaps he just isn’t a coach and his frustrations are dragging down the mood in the camp? 

Little things can make big differences. 

41 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Chelsea performance was awful and i think the Leicester game would be the same story even if Mings stayed fit.

Norwich had 20 shots against us, Brighton 21 (with 10 men) games we actually won because our attack still were strong at this point. But if your attack have a dip in form and you keep conceding 20 shots every game you got no chance of survival

Spot on.....We just can't defend as an entity.....its not goal scoring, we scored against Southampton, we could have won 1-0 if we could defend.

some of us could, see the rot coming.....you cannot come in the this league with such scant regard to defending and expect to survive.....folk can dress it up any way they like, with this approach we are in big trouble.

It's been with us some time.....The culture/discipline is not right.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The defence has been a problem all season I agree. So should the concern not be, to some extent at least, with JT who I assume plays a leading role with the coaching and organisation of the defence. If he doesn’t then I’m not sure why we employ him. 

The majority of the concern from fans has been the dreadful form since the draw at Old Trafford. In mitigation we’ve mostly played some very good sides and in the last couple of games suffered injuries to key players. However that doesn’t explain fully the complete falling off the cliff we’ve suffered.

Previously win, lose or draw we’ve generally been competitive and together as a squad, recently that hasn’t been the case. It almost seems that something isn’t right behind the scenes. I’ve heard some posters, I believe you are one of them, trot out the “lost the dressing room” line. I don’t believe that’s true as I don’t think we have those kind of big time Charlies in the squad. However something ain’t right and perhaps the defensive coach is feeling the heat? I’m not saying he is deliberately agitating, although he does have form, but perhaps he just isn’t a coach and his frustrations are dragging down the mood in the camp? 

Little things can make big differences. 

or the Defensive coach is being silenced and his suggestions are being ignored?

I too have no idea, so we can all fall down on the side of one person or another.....but with no idea, its never helpful.

I’m gonna go a bit left field here but here me out. I know the defensive organisation is poor but you know what DS’s biggest blunder could be this season imo, not playing Wesley against Liverpool in League Cup! Why? If he plays against Liverpool, he either A: scores a hatrick(a bit of an ask I know!), but he comes off that pitch 10 foot tall like Bertie Big Bollox and he saves our season! Or B: A bunch of kids mark him out the game and DS finally twigs that he’s gash and plays Kodjia against Southampton! 
  Instead, he plays Kodjia, scores 2 goals, has a good game, but then gets dropped for the Southampton game and plays Wesley again! I despair with the man, I really do! 😪

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The same old dance, just a different song. 

just so sad, he is not wrong.

I guess you could use that same adage for the way we are playing.

3 minutes ago, CoNnErS said:

I’m gonna go a bit left field here but here me out. I know the defensive organisation is poor but you know what DS’s biggest blunder could be this season imo, not playing Wesley against Liverpool in League Cup! Why? If he plays against Liverpool, he either A: scores a hatrick(a bit of an ask I know!), but he comes off that pitch 10 foot tall like Bertie Big Bollox and he saves our season! Or B: A bunch of kids mark him out the game and DS finally twigs that he’s gash and plays Kodjia against Southampton! 
  Instead, he plays Kodjia, scores 2 goals, has a good game, but then gets dropped for the Southampton game and plays Wesley again! I despair with the man, I really do! 😪

The problem we have is not "local confidence" where a game will put it right.....this is deep rooted.

I have seen this kind of thing in the past.....its due to faults not being checked and left to go on and in the end a demise, develops.

We need to hold on tight, with our fingers crossed.

Â