Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Really unfair to compare Smith to Wilder. The latter has had several years to work with his team and on his system with minor tweaks along the way. Smith has had a year and had to build 2 completely new teams in that team whilst adjusting to the highest level. He may not be cut out for it. But writing him off under those circumstances is very unfair in my opinion. 

I really hope he proves many of you wrong. If we do sack him the next appointment is crucial. Another Garde type situation and we’re truly f**ked.

I hope he prove me wrong too, i really do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The team without Jack Grealish were 5 minutes away from beating the best team in the world right now. This team without Jack would easily challenge for top 2 in the championship under Smith.  Hoping it doesn’t need to come to that though. 

We must also remember that if the worse happens and if Jack leaves, it won’t be on a free. The money we would get now that he’s proven himself in the PL would build a new team on its own if well spent. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

We must also remember that if the worse happens and if Jack leaves, it won’t be on a free. The money we would get now that he’s proven himself in the PL would build a new team on its own if well spent. 

If we get relegated we won't get more than 40 mill for him

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

TRO I have the feeling you really want to just say Smith Out without ever directly saying those words. Your criticisms of Smith have been scathing and its quite clear you don't seem to think he is capable of turning it around, yet for some reason you've never actually commited yourself to the position of wanting Smith out. Even though almost everything else in your posts suggest that you would.

I am Happy to tell you my position.....I want it to work for Dean, but he is the architect of that.

I cannot re-write the facts.....what I and many fans see is not a figment of our imagination and quite frankly, i think its worse than many fans have said.

right now, i think we are the worst team in the league, for not having a grip on a fundamental aspect of the game.

Every team has a dip, every manager has set backs......some of the shortfalls we have , have gone unchecked all season....game to game no improvement.

Look, maybe its me......maybe Dean thinks he can just out score teams without any regard for defending, in which case, i am waiting for something that is simply not going to happen.

Personally, i like a team that wins, that means scoring and containing when the opposition have their moments....We can't defend as a team and surrender any leads we have, unfortunately, we are not good enough to keep scoring.....I am not obssessed with the spectacle, I am more a substance man, that,s why i reverred Paul McGrath who was a defender....I appreciate defensive skills from all outfield players, i like to see a competitive approach, commitment not players standing off and aimless running to claim stats.

No, I don't want Dean to fail.....but some of his critics are not wrong either, in their observations.

If he is the manager we all hope he is.....he will come through it, but he has to make effective changes for us to see tangible improvement.

sacking managers is not nice and causes much disruption, in some cases the disruption, is just what we want......i am not certain that IS the case here.

I have no idea, which way it will go.....but sentiment alone will not keep us up, remember that.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The team without Jack Grealish were 5 minutes away from beating the best team in the world right now. This team without Jack would easily challenge for top 2 in the championship under Smith.  Hoping it doesn’t need to come to that though. 

Yeah and Norwich actually went and beat Man City despite having most of their first team gone, are they suddenly better than Man City or should be challenging for at least top 6? I'm sorry but that's not how football works. You can't make conclusions of the quality of a team based on a single match, anyone can get close to beating anyone else on the right day no matther the circumstances. I could easily do the same the other way and highlight our defeciencies the other day against Southampton where we looked completely out of our depth in this league against a relegation candidate.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

I would love for Dean Smith to get Villa playing like Sheff Utd, trying not to be too ambitious.

I would be happy if we could.

That is the expectation,I was hoping for this season.

Edited by TRO

if villa go down jack & mings are gone, 

the owners have to face a simple option ..stick or twist. 

stick with DS or change , 20 games left, 15 points from 18 to date thats not a point from a game , your looking at 32 points at this rate ,its not enough.

I will be out spoken in my opinion of sack or not.

I want Dean to get Villa out of this mess. But if he does not make changes to the plan that is currently not working 

I want him gone and some one in with a different plan

I agree with Tro. Sentiment and hope will not keep us up. changes may

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We did get thumped for 70 mins and they missed about 4 golden chances though.

We also will need a new striker or we'll be fighting with one arm behind our back.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would love for Dean Smith to get Villa playing like Sheff Utd, trying not to be too ambitious.

I would be happy if we could.

again were talking organised basic football, every player knowing their role in the game, same applies with burnley , 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Yeah and Norwich actually went and beat Man City despite having most of their first team gone, are they suddenly better than Man City or should be challenging for at least top 6? I'm sorry but that's not how football works. You can't make conclusions of the quality of a team based on a single match, anyone can get close to beating anyone else on the right day no matther the circumstances. I could easily do the same the other way and highlight our defeciencies the other day against Southampton where we looked completely out of our depth in this league against a relegation candidate.

Yes and I fully expect the same Norwich team which are below us right now to challenge for top 2 in the Championship.
Especially considering they already won it!  

My point wasn’t we are a good team just because we nearly beat Liverpool. I never said that for a second. My point was this team can compete in the bloody Championship!  The hyerbole going from Smith can’t cope in this league to this team will not even compete in the championship is ridiculous in my opinion.

1 minute ago, cbr600rr said:

again were talking organised basic football, every player knowing their role in the game, same applies with burnley , 

Absolutely, bloody spot on.

I want a long-term plan implemented at the club. I'd stick with Dean even if we went down this year because I believe we'd come up stronger again next time. Short-termism in football doesn't help build anything and we haven't built anything for years and years. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We did get thumped for 70 mins and they missed about 4 golden chances though.

We also will need a new striker or we'll be fighting with one arm behind our back.

We also missed 2 golden chances ourselves. I don’t like it when people draw conclusions from one game so I admit I shouldn’t be doing it myself. I just find it a joke some fans have now decided we will struggle in the championship. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Are you saying fans should accept relegation?

Not a chance. My expectations will never be lowered. Survival is the very least i expect this season.

Most sensible fans won't agree and submit to this loser, acceptance mentality.

So you think sacking our manager after the first hint of a crisis and replacing him with Fat Sam is high expectations?

You've spent most of the last few pages telling everyone that Fat Sam won the Championship the last time he was in it - then quietly moving on from that after someone pointed out he scraped through the play offs.

He's been managing for 30 years and has two honours to his name: League of Ireland, and an English Third Division title. He has a career win rate of 39%. He's also a self-promoting, two-faced word removed who'd be on Sky Sports tearing into the club the minute he got sacked.

He might (might) be a marginal improvement on Smith in a backs-to-the-wall relegation fight, I'll give him that. But the idea that backing Fat Sam shows your "winner" mentality, and the people defending Smith have a "loser" mentality is... just bizarre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Absolutely, bloody spot on.

You know it took Burnley around 6 years including a relegation to be able to play the way they do. It’s a shame Smith is expected to it overnight. Hopefully if he does get sacked there is a manager out there that can do it overnight.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Thanks 1

i think we can all agree, we like dean smith, one of us, nice bloke, fairy tail stuff -promotion.

the john terry combo thing, his insta photos look great-but has he made villa solid with his coaching?

we probably dont want big sam,we want a solid football team like burnley or the like but we dont, 

I want us to play like Bayern Munchen under Jupp Heynckes 2013, would be great. But you have to be realistic and look at how our squad is most suited to play. 

It's not suited to play with a deep sitting team and a back 5 like Newcastle for a number of reasons, or with a 4-4-2 because our wingers and attackers are wank and out CM is not suited to it.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We also missed 2 golden chances ourselves. I don’t like it when people draw conclusions from one game so I admit I shouldn’t be doing it myself. I just find it a joke some fans have now decided we will struggle in the championship. 

I wouldn't say any of the very few chances we missed were golden chances. You make it sound like they were sitters we missed.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Â