Dean Smith

Demitri_C

15 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I do value it, massively. I just think it's an easy thing to blame when things are going wrong. Often if you're not winning the second balls it's as much about positioning and anticipation as heart.

its an easy thing to blame, when you are watching the game and its obvious to many, even pundits.

• Like 1

Defeating Norwich and Watford alone will not fill me with confidence for the rest of the season, we also have to show that we can beat better teams than those two or before we know it we'll back to where we are now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoNnErS said:

So you think even if we beat Norwich and Watford we’re still in the mire?

If we keep playing the way we did against Southampton & Leicester, I would say yes.

If we win great, but it just staves off the **** for another day, We have to find the work ( organisational & effort) that keeps us in games.

I think we have showed signs all season that we will struggle and superb moments have got us out of Jail in certain games.

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

just so sad, he is not wrong.

I guess you could use that same adage for the way we are playing.

There is no point trying to reason with these people.

Dean Smith being a boyhood Villa fan i think brings a biased view from many Villa supporters.

If the manager was Scottish and had no past connection with Villa these same people would highly criticize him.

If you take away all emotion you can see we are a complete shambles and have been for the most of the season. We can't defend, we lack aggression, fight and desire. All traits of relegation teams.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 4

Call it what you like, whether it be heart, passion, fight, belief .... what this Villa side lacks above all is GUTS! Heads drop, players stand off, movement becomes limited .... Suddenly an individual does something special and off we go for ten minutes, buzzing with energy and effort but no visible plan, and then when nothing happens heads begin to drop again .... and repeat. 

Every other team in the Premier League has much bigger balls and belief they we do. Our lack of bottle makes ordinary teams look like 'Barcelona' on a regular basis.

Is Dean just too nice?

• Like 1

On 22/12/2019 at 15:14, PaulC said:

And Watford are beating Man U. They have Deeney we have Wesley 

Make no mistake.....If we signed Deeney, or a player similar but younger......there would be an inquest from the fan base.

I'm sorry mate, many have delusions of grandeur.

Wesley was Brazillian, thats all they needed to know, Chelmsley Wood, hasn't got the same ring to it....The fact Deeney runs through brick walls, like our own Andy Gray did and he scores goals, has no merit.

We just want champagne players who show us eye candy.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

People believe Kodjia is the answer I despair at. 

No defensive shape organisation and service to our current striker is the answer.

I don't think Kodjia is the answer, but i do think he is an improvement to Wesley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

Gonna love seeing you disappear again in May x

Do you really think i like watching us suffer?

I only want what is best for Villa. I would be delighted to see Smith turning it around but there is no signs suggesting it will happen.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Call it what you like, whether it be heart, passion, fight, belief .... what this Villa side lacks above all is GUTS! Heads drop, players stand off, movement becomes limited .... Suddenly an individual does something special and off we go for ten minutes, buzzing with energy and effort but no visible plan, and then when nothing happens heads begin to drop again .... and repeat. 

Every other team in the Premier League has much bigger balls and belief they we do. Our lack of bottle makes ordinary teams look like 'Barcelona' on a regular basis.

Is Dean just too nice?

Too nice maybe ,  too soft maybe ?  I don’t really see him turning it around at this level - a good championship manager but at this level he maybe seems to be out of his depth in my opinion - I feel it will  end  badly and that saddens me as he did achieve great things last season . 

I think the next 3 games are crucial and failure to pick up at least 4 points as the bare minimum should see alarm bells ringing at board level 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

A year ago today leeds came back from 2 down to beat us that result and injuries to star players saw our form drop off a cliff, this year is very similar ,our form has been poor pretty much since liverpool conceding late as we did has knocked confidence and McGinn who has played injured and now has a broken ankle ,Grealish missed the Wolves and Pool games and Mings will have missed a month by the time he is back these are our 3 best players ,more than the system being wrong I think it need s everyone to be firing on all cylinders which due to injuries or loss of confidence but he has to compensate for injuries and loss of form by solidifying the team more than a change in system I think it's a change in personnel we need wether that changing Kodjia for wesley and bringing the likes of jota konta and Elmo into the side for a few game or getting new bodies in jan to boost us I'm not sure but I think it's more a personnel failure more than a systems failure at the moment .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

There is no point trying to reason with these people.

Dean Smith being a boyhood Villa fan i think brings a biased view from many Villa supporters.

If the manager was Scottish and had no past connection with Villa these same people would highly criticize him.

If you take away all emotion you can see we are a complete shambles and have been for the most of the season. We can't defend, we lack aggression, fight and desire. All traits of relegation teams.

Look.....I want it to work for Dean, but it isn't and I have doubts it will, unless he changes dramatically and kicks this naive football in to the long grass.....its time for them all the man up.

The Elghazi/Mings Incident was the watershed for me, when he said the boys have sorted it out themselves, before I got in( when asked by a journalist).......Brian Clough,Ron Saunders, Bill Shankly or SAF would have made it their mission to get in that dressing room first and tear a strip off them, for compromising the teams performance.

It was a golden opportunity lost ,to make his mark and stamp his Authority.....He looks passive to me and I think it is showing in our play......They say a team mirrors their manager......I sincerely hope I am wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smith doesn't know what to do.  this is why i'd sack him now so the new manager bounce would have the 3 winnable xmas games.

one week smith  goes to sheffield to park the bus. then comes out in the press and says its against my beliefs I shouldn't have done that.

So next game we "go toe to toe" with southampton. we started off ok but heads drop after the goal and the players quickly become a disorganised rabble.

Its obvious the solution is somewhere in between.  especially at home go all out attack for the first goal.  come out the blocks flying. get that early goal........Then park the bus.

The fans will be happy with the high tempo onslaught from the kick off,  a couple of counter attacks whilst we run down the clock for the rest of the game, and of course the most important thing the 3 points.

The problem with nice guy dean is our version of parking the bus doesn't include tactical fouls, time wasting and basicly being frustrating.

Smith is in dream land if he thinks anytime soon it's going to just click and we will pass and move our way up the table.

• Like 1

Playing 4-3-3 isn't the problem - it's playing it every week regardless of the opposition that's the problem. You have to adjust your shape a bit for different opponents.

Smith's 4-3-3 seems to be particularly vulnerable against a quick front 2 - as Leicester and Southampton both proved. He has to come up with something different for that situation.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Smith doesn't know what to do.  this is why i'd sack him now so the new manager bounce would have the 3 winnable xmas games.

one week smith  goes to sheffield to park the bus. then comes out in the press and says its against my beliefs I shouldn't have done that.

So next game we "go toe to toe" with southampton. we started off ok but heads drop after the goal and the players quickly become a disorganised rabble.

Its obvious the solution is somewhere in between.  especially at home go all out attack for the first goal.  come out the blocks flying. get that early goal........Then park the bus.

The fans will be happy with the high tempo onslaught from the kick off,  a couple of counter attacks whilst we run down the clock for the rest of the game, and of course the most important thing the 3 points.

The problem with nice guy dean is our version of parking the bus doesn't include tactical fouls, time wasting and basicly being frustrating.

Smith is in dream land if he thinks anytime soon it's going to just click and we will pass and move our way up the table.

I don't think we did, that was part of the problem.....they won all the tackles, challenges and second balls

football is a simple game  complicated by folk looking for complication.

Whatever the ins and outs......the last 2 games have reared their ugly head because we can't defend..... we can't defend at the back, in the middle or up front, we can't defend set pieces....those are the sad facts of which none of us wants to admit.

We scored in both games.....so as basic as the philosophy is, if we hadn't conceded, we would have secured 6 points, winning both games......instead we surrendered the initiative and subsequently the territory.

Now there are umpteen arguments and views as to why we didn't go toe to toe.......but that is the sum total.

44 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think Kodjia is the answer, but i do think he is an improvement to Wesley.

sadly, I don't think the type of personnel (we need  to get us out of this mess) is in the squad......

43 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Too nice maybe ,  too soft maybe ?  I don’t really see him turning it around at this level - a good championship manager but at this level he maybe seems to be out of his depth in my opinion - I feel it will  end  badly and that saddens me as he did achieve great things last season . 

I think the next 3 games are crucial and failure to pick up at least 4 points as the bare minimum should see alarm bells ringing at board level 

sadly, I fear much the same.

Â