Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Now seeing people on facebook claiming he is now "throwing players under the bus', literally because he explained what happened for the goals.

These are the same people who would say he is deluded if he said the players were excellent.

In his defence, I have seen him do nothing but defend the players even when they have deserved a blasting.

It is now turning into the oh so familiar Aston Villa managerial witch hunt.

Along with them claiming that there are rumours "the players wanted to change tactics against Leicester and he refused".

Fair play, but would the change in tactics have allowed them to be able to pass to a teammate, not give the opposition the ball at will and remember how to defend?

I have my own criticisms of him but the hyperbole via some of our fans is baffling.

At least now my timeline on FB is less "Wesley is a donkey" and now more of a balance of "Wesley is a donkey and Dean Smith is clueless, Everton got Ancelloti so we need to get Pochettino".

If that's true and I presume it is a rumour.....he has a problem.

I agree with you.....some of the issues are basic personal issues of first touch, giving the ball away cheaply etc......nothing to do with tactics.

The fans are not idiots.....He needs to let the fans know, he is aware of the issues and will work on them......so far I have seen no evidence of any remnants of BMH work.You would expect to see something better, but it seems to me its gradually getting worse....and injuries are mounting as a result.

• Like 1

Regardless of tactics our team is basically Mings, Grealish and Mcginn. We need all 3 to be on it to win games. The rest of the team are just periphery players, airy fairy...good when the going is good but not good enough or with enough character to affect the game themselves. Passengers.

The level of pressure on those 3 is ridiculous and it was never sustainable. It's why we'll go down imo. It's so disappointing because with them and Heaton we had an incredible core and even if we couldn't get the quality in this summer we just needed some solid burnley style players around them to stay safe this season. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skruff said:

The balance seems way off 

Always been the case for Smith's teams.

Ask any Brentford or Walsall fan and they would tell you they would be leaking goals under him.

In fact most Brentford weren't very upset to see him go.

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I don’t think he is cut out for this league being honest. All a bit Nigel Adkins to me. 

Sure it looks that way now, while we're seriously struggling. We can't keep changing managers as soon as we hit a slump though. This is a major reason as to why these last 10 years have been a low point in our history. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villanmac said:

Regardless of tactics our team is basically Mings, Grealish and Mcginn. We need all 3 to be on it to win games. The rest of the team are just periphery players, airy fairy...good when the going is good but not good enough or with enough character to affect the game themselves. Passengers.

The level of pressure on those 3 is ridiculous and it was never sustainable. It's why we'll go down imo. It's so disappointing because with them and Heaton we had an incredible core and even if we couldn't get the quality in this summer we just needed some solid burnley style players around them to stay safe this season. 

Spot on .

Instead, we have spent good money on players who look out of their depth......its the money spent on them that is a further worry.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Always been the case for Smith's teams.

Ask any Brentford or Walsall fan and they would tell you they would be leaking goals under him.

Which makes it difficult when you have the least prolific brazilian striker in history up front. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think the the chances are, you would have hated the football of the Ron Sunders era......did you watch the European cup final?    we were outplayed for periods of the game, but we stood resolute, something we can only dream of now..

Look, our undoing is thinking we can stand off and play champagne football, without earning the right to.....this is the trade off.......That attractive football you crave turns in to ugly football, like yesterday.

and i can tell you now.....Villa Talk is being kind, to some of the stuff, I have read elsewhere.

I was lucky enough to witness the Ron Saunders era and we played strong effective football.Yes we ground out results when needed.

Lets not forget after we were promoted in 75 we just avoided relegation in 76 so it was lucky nobody Villa talk didn’t exist then as I am sure some would be suggesting he should be sacked.

I think our big problem is central midfield we need a strong physical presence here to keep us in games when we are playing away and not playing well.The return of Mings I think is crucial .

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Sure it looks that way now, while we're seriously struggling. We can't keep changing managers as soon as we hit a slump though. This is a major reason as to why these last 10 years have been a low point in our history. 

You are right.

but equally you can't go from playing well at Old Trafford and Liverpool at home.......to this debacle.

We all know this league is unforgiving and we all knew it would be a struggle, but we don't have to be as bad as we were yesterday or against Leicester...there was MAJOR flaws in our play.

right now, we are like a lift where the cable has snapped......not going down floor to floor incrementally, which is what we half expected in this league.....that was a horror show.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

If that's true and I presume it is a rumour.....he has a problem.

I agree with you.....some of the issues are basic personal issues of first touch, giving the ball away cheaply etc......nothing to do with tactics.

The fans are not idiots.....He needs to let the fans know, he is aware of the issues and will work on them......so far I have seen no evidence of any remnants of BMH work.You would expect to see something better, but it seems to me its gradually getting worse....and injuries are mounting as a result.

Eh? We’re playing badly which is injuring the players is a very weird criticism considering how many things there are to genuinely fault!

Dean Smith remit was promotion this season not last season, he wont be getting sacked and pointless discussion at the moment

People that want him gone are mainly the people that wanted him gone last season

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And Smith is persisting with him. Almost like he want the sack

This. It's incredibly difficult to understand, given how bad Wes has been. Surely Dean can see this... I can only conclude its more a question of stubbornness, and an unwillingness to to give up on his preferred system, which isn't working. 

Fwiw I don't have much faith in Kodjia either, but he's at least applied himself properly these last few games, and deserves to start against Norwich. 

Â