Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, sne said:

Just for reference, Allardyce doesn't really have stellar results and would in no way ensure us staying up. His 1 game for England hides a rather poor points return average.

He would also bring his revolting personality.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/sam-allardyce/profil/trainer/445

Club Appointed In charge until Position Matches PPM
Everton FC England Everton 17/18 (Nov 30, 2017)  17/18 (May 16, 2018)  Manager 26 1,42
Crystal Palace England Crystal Palace 16/17 (Dec 23, 2016)  16/17 (May 23, 2017)  Manager 23 1,26
England  England 16/17 (Jul 22, 2016)  16/17 (Sep 27, 2016)  Manager 1 3,00
Sunderland AFC England Sunderland 15/16 (Oct 9, 2015)  16/17 (Jul 21, 2016)  Manager 31 1,16
West Ham United England West Ham 10/11 (Jun 1, 2011)  14/15 (Jun 30, 2015)  Manager 181 1,39
Blackburn Rovers England Blackburn 08/09 (Dec 17, 2008)  10/11 (Dec 13, 2010)  Manager 90 1,36
Newcastle United England Newcastle 06/07 (May 15, 2007)  07/08 (Jan 9, 2008)  Manager 24 1,25
Bolton Wanderers England Bolton 99/00 (Oct 19, 1999)  06/07 (Apr 30, 2007)  Manager 267

given that we currently have 0.83 PPM all of those would be an improvement no?

• Sad 1

The board have a long term plan in place. They are not going to make rash decisions now, sacking the manager, sacking the scouts, changing everything. They’ve given Smith a long term contract for a reason. He’s changing the whole style of the football club, through the youth teams into the first team. Everyone knows we are struggling at the moment, but that was probably expected. We can turn this around, and I’m sure we will.

• Like 3

Let's see some evidence that we're working on this damning stat.

The second goal yesterday was from a corner and AEG wasn't even meant to be marking the Southampton player that scored. In over 20 minutes after McGinn went off no-one took the responsibility to ensure people knew who they were supposed to be marking (by the sound of things).

Hopefully they're in for extra training on Christmas Day!

McLeish, Lambert & Bruce all overstayed their time and consequently damaged the club further by doing so. Now is the time for Smith to go, Villa fan or not there is no room for sentiment in top flight football.

Edited by pacbuddies

24 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

I was lucky enough to witness the Ron Saunders era and we played strong effective football.Yes we ground out results when needed.

Lets not forget after we were promoted in 75 we just avoided relegation in 76 so it was lucky nobody Villa talk didn’t exist then as I am sure some would be suggesting he should be sacked.

I think our big problem is central midfield we need a strong physical presence here to keep us in games when we are playing away and not playing well.The return of Mings I think is crucial .

Yeah lets not forget we finished 16th....we lost Keith Leonard to a career ending injury and we was very much in transition.....signing John Burridge-Andy Gray and Dennis Mortimer.....Andy was 19 playing in another country and league.....He came in at such a tender age and smashed it, from day one and only got better.........................why? because he was scouted well.....I those days we could spot a player and knew what we was looking at, we knew what was required.

We played 42 games won 11 drew 17 and lost 14 during '75/'76

I draw your attention to the losing of 14 games out of 42......that suggests to me a dogged resolute team.....a million miles from what we have now in those terms.......and we was still in transition from the dark days.

moving on the rest is History......in the main improving due to fantastic scouting skills.

The strong physical presence you talk about is right and I applaud you for mentioning it....but this issue has been with us for some time, because its not been addressed sufficiently.......Yesterday we was bullied all over the pitch by a team not that well equipped physically, so it's not necessarily size, its all about the approach.

I don't see Deans approach anywhere close to what Ron did with his players......taking well in to account the disparity in era.

I appreciate the technical side, but I also think a lot of cobblers goes with it too......I want to see Dean more angry and defiant in his interviews and not so compliant.

This is a scrap, we are in and Dean needs to show his William Wallace qualities, like big Dunc.....even if it is short term to keep us up, until we have more intrinsically gifted players to fight.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

You are right.

but equally you can't go from playing well at Old Trafford and Liverpool at home.......to this debacle.

We all know this league is unforgiving and we all knew it would be a struggle, but we don't have to be as bad as we were yesterday or against Leicester...there was MAJOR flaws in our play.

right now, we are like a lift where the cable has snapped......not going down floor to floor incrementally, which is what we half expected in this league.....that was a horror show.

I too struggle to understand how we've so suddenly lost all form and belief. Perhaps we just don't have enough leaders in the team. They're mostly all new to this league, and with the likes of Mings and McGinn out, we simply have no backbone left... not that we had much to begin with. It's simple really, get the luxury players to apply themselves, or get rid. I think we failed horribly with recruitment in the summer, as you've point out many times. Smith must've thought some of them would have adapted better... he needs to react now though. We've seen enough, results won't change by persevering with the current way of playing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

The second goal yesterday was from a corner and AEG wasn't even meant to be marking the Southampton player that scored. In over 20 minutes after McGinn went off no-one took the responsibility to ensure people knew who they were supposed to be marking (by the sound of things).

I was watching Hause, and his body language suggested he wanted nothing to do with taking responsibility.  Absolutely 0 leadership there at the moment

36 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Sure it looks that way now, while we're seriously struggling. We can't keep changing managers as soon as we hit a slump though. This is a major reason as to why these last 10 years have been a low point in our history. 

No, its not lol. Did you seriously want us to hang on to Alex Mcleish of all people? Lambert was taking us down a season earlier had Sherwood not been brought on. I dread to team where this team would be now had Garde been left with this team in spite of relegation.

The problem wasn't with switching managers, that was quite necessary given how poor the current managers were. the problem was with replacing them with quite frankly managers who were just as poor. They were mostly untested managers who didn't have much success at the top level yet.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

24 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He ain't getting sacked after that contract.

If he does, I think Purslow could be in trouble as well. Owners will be asking why we just gave him a new contract while results were poor.

Like has been said the contract will have clauses in it, one I would think will be to keep us up, or even out of the relegation places, an it won't be worth millions like the well established managers, so paying it off won't be a problem.

Purslow and the owners cannot afford us to go own this season, or else they would not have invested so much money in August. 

I personally think he is struggling with the players, there was no fight or aggression yesterday, something which has been missing for a while. It's not as though we have pussy players, Wes, Luiz and Trez are big strong players, it cannot be that hard to coach them to use there strength if they don't have the quality.

Also constantly losing goals after half time team talks speaks volumes for me, they simply are not listening to Smith, something he cannot get hold of.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I too struggle to understand how we've so suddenly lost all form and belief. Perhaps we just don't have enough leaders in the team. They're mostly all new to this league, and with the likes of Mings and McGinn out, we simply have no backbone left... not that we had much to begin with. It's simple really, get the luxury players to apply themselves, or get rid. I think we failed horribly with recruitment in the summer, as you've point out many times. Smith must've thought some of them would have adapted better... he needs to react now though. We've seen enough, results won't change by persevering with the current way of playing. 

I am no scout and I guess chris "Villa4Life" will correct me......but if you watch players in a league where time on the ball is the norm or where physicality is of a low priority, or its customary for your opponent to stand off  ...you end up with a false picture to bring to this league.Furthermore we have paid premium prices for the privilege.

I see too many of our players clearly uncomfortable with the close encounter, they are clearly negated from what they want to do , looking puzzled.....and seemingly incapable of returning the same that is being imposed on them.

8 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I was watching Hause, and his body language suggested he wanted nothing to do with taking responsibility.  Absolutely 0 leadership there at the moment

I thought he was the only one who looked comfortable heading the ball....but I get your point too......but they all look like that to me....Jack aside.

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

No, its not lol. Did you seriously want us to hang on to Alex Mcleish of all people? Lambert was taking us down a season earlier had Sherwood not been brought on. I dread to team where this team would be now had Garde been left with this team in spite of relegation.

The problem wasn't with switching managers, that was quite necessary given how poor the current managers were. the problem was with replacing them with quite frankly managers who were just as poor. They were mostly untested managers who didn't have much success at the top level yet.

Surely you can see the difference in managers, comparing Smith to the likes of McLeish, Sherwood, Garde, et. al.? 

12 minutes ago, vreitti said:

24 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I hope it's in the class room, because most of it ,is in their heads......****ing numskulls.

What do they mean El Ghazi was not supposed to marking Stevens?.....so why was he?.....who is responsible for that, cock up.

This getting like a school football team.

40 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Eh? We’re playing badly which is injuring the players is a very weird criticism considering how many things there are to genuinely fault!

They are stretching for too much and late in getting to an encounter, having to panic in getting back, is pulling stuff like hamstrings.......what's weird about that.

yeah, a result of playing badly.

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Surely you can see the difference in managers, comparing Smith to the likes of McLeish, Sherwood, Garde, et. al.? 

Actually, he seems to be very Lambert-esque at this point so I think the comparison to past Villa managers can still hold.

But regardless, he could be **** Pep Guardiola for all I care. If evidence points to he's getting us relegated he deserves to go and we should try it with someone else.

5 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Its not a sudden loss of form,its more a case of giving up.I mean, put yourself in the players position.First off they are ordinary people just like you and me and they get dissapointed,frustrated and brassed off, just like us, so imagine what its like for them to.They turn up every week and see Wes leading the line.They turn up every week and see that we have suprised the opposition again by playing 4 3 3 irrespective of wether the opposition is at the top of the table or at the bottom also irrespective of whether we are at home or away.Then finally look at Kodija, he trains all week,scores a brace in midweek and what happens on saturday.................Wes starts FFS.

This is the same team that did well against Spurs away on the opening day of the season.This is the same team that did well against Arsenal a few games later,so whats changed ? They have given up because week after week they give it their best shot and what happens the manager persists in starting Wes.DS even refuses to play 442 and have Kodija up front with Wes, no lets carry on with 433 and Wes and everything will come right in the end.

As for a new manager.We dont need one, all we need to do is rearrange our staff.JT has played under some of the best managers in the world,he has reached the top in the toughest league in the world.he knows the players.the club the ground staff and even the tea lady AND he wants to manager.So why not just demote DS and put JT in charge,at least he should know what he is doing.        

21 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

In view of the fact he has been omitted for so many games and clearly not the worst player yesterday, probably the best header of the ball we have.....is it any wonder, he don't want to put his head above the parapet.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

They are stretching for too much and late in getting to an encounter, having to panic in getting back, is pulling stuff like hamstrings.......what's weird about that.

yeah, a result of playing badly.

I just don’t buy it but fair enough if that’s your view.

Admittedly I didn’t see Yesterday’s game as I was at a wedding so haven’t seen how McGinn ended up doing his.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am no scout and I guess chris "Villa4Life" will correct me......but if you watch players in a league where time on the ball is the norm or where physicality is of a low priority, or its customary for your opponent to stand off  ...you end up with a false picture to bring to this league.Furthermore we have paid premium prices for the privilege.

I see too many of our players clearly uncomfortable with the close encounter, they are clearly negated from what they want to do , looking puzzled.....and seemingly incapable of returning the same that is being imposed on them.

Then we might have an issue with what goes on at BMH. Training is perhaps just too comfortable and laidback. 

I think Smith and the players might also be a little shocked at how difficult this league actually is. Perhaps they didn't at all envisage us struggling this badly... I know I didn't, considering the gap in quality in the Premier League. The euforia from promotion might also still linger on in the minds of some of them. 

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I hope it's in the class room, because most of it ,is in their heads......****ing numskulls.

What do they mean El Ghazi was not supposed to marking Stevens?.....so why was he?.....who is responsible for that, cock up.

This getting like a school football team.

Not sure but Smith mentions it in this interview:

We're failing at the very basics of the game.

• Like 1

Â