Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Once Smith gets his players in blah blah.

So the plan at the end of this season is to replace the squad with players who can play to his system.  Without Grealish, Abraham, McGinn, Mings, maybe Chester.

Good luck. We'll need to get used to promotion not happening next season either.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

The best performers yesterday were either brought in or recalled by Smith or they were called McGinn. OBE said only 4 of the 11 that started are contracted to be with us beyond end of the season. If we replace the poor performers with players that play to the same level as our best performing players then why not? I reckon we will be better yes.

Problem is that now a whole heap of clearings in the woods are baying for blood before we even get to the rebuild. 

That's a good plan mate, but there are no guarantees whatsoever that the players he'll bring in are as good as our best performing players. I'd argue that the probability of that happening is very low.

9 hours ago, ismail-villa said:

And what's the long term picture with big Sam in charge?

promotion, stable in Premier League , 

look at his track record, he was good enough to get the national job,

or shall we stick with smith? the worst defence of every league team, look at the performances, its not getting better ,

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

That's a good plan mate, but there are no guarantees whatsoever that the players he'll bring in are as good as our best performing players. I'd argue that the probability of that happening is very low.

Well the best performing players were brought in by him, recalled by him or John McGinn

1 hour ago, Villan4Life said:

i'm excited see what we do too. He needs time as seen what capable of under him when came which is type of football we been wanting to see to for years.

Once he starts getting in the players in summer he likes to fit his system we will look very good

Well he has his own defenders now - and we look just the same.

He had his own defenders at Brentford...they leaked goals.....

Nice bloke, would love to him to suceed , but to be honest I just dont see it.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

promotion, stable in Premier League , 

look at his track record, he was good enough to get the national job,

or shall we stick with smith? the worst defence of every league team, look at the performances, its not getting better ,

Good grief Nooo please - we've done one dinosaur, he's another of yesterday's men.

Maybe Dean might not be the man - but I want to continue with someone with similar principles.

He also has a chip on both shoulders into the bargain imo 

3 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

This thread is mental. He has been here 3-4 months and without two key players for 80% of it. We should be doing slightly better but it's nowhere near bad enough for people to start calling for him to be sacked already.

Look at our squad, you can replace Whelan with Thor, Hutton with Elmo, Green with Adomah. There's no upgrade or downgrade here it's a massively average squad that for the most part has been held up by loan players. Id rather he keeps playing his own way this season to find out who he wants to keep. This season is dead so what's the point of adapting a system to fit these players who wont be here next season? He's managed to get a keeper in on a permanent deal and the rest are short term loans or recalling ones we sent out on loan.

I will liken this to Pep's first season at City, he had his style and stuck with it even though it was a disaster and he called it a failed season himself. He went out and got players in who can play the way he wants to and now look at them. Smith needs time and thankfully Christian Purslow seems to have a long term plan.

Slightly better ? This year we have narrowly beaten ipswich !!!!!!.....

People keep saying that we’ve seen what he’s capable of in his first two months, that next season we could do that on a regular basis. However we’ve also seen what he’s been capable of after those two months, we could do that all next season too. I guess it depends on ‘his players’ that he needs to sign and the more important pre season that every manager needs in order to achieve promotion.

2 hours ago, gordy said:

Hi all,

Onky my second post here so expect to be slaughtered but I think people are a bit unfair on some players. The likes of Hourihan and Whelan are specific types of player. From what I have seen Whelan does his job, collect from the back and try secure defence. But it is difficult if you are a certain type of player to play in a different way.

Lets be honest, I dont think Grealish defends thst much. That is something DS wants from 1-11 but as he is a "local lad" he gets away with it. 

This is a bedding phase manager assesing what he has and where he needs to tweek and players adapting to new roles and responsibilites.

My major concern is our back 4, more holes in it than the titanic and no real defensive plan. The keeper often left to save the day needs real addressing

Grealish is not a defensive player as such, but he creates a defensive situation in his play.....if the opposition haven't got the ball they can't attack you.....he keeps it away from them.

it depends how you interpret the game.....i think holding the ball creates a defensive environment for that reason.

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Interesting you say that as I was under the impression DS didn't want JT here from the start and not suprised to here something like this. I.e lesving JT to wonder around as a spare part/surplus to requirements.

As for JT trying to gain experience for management - I can't see him learning much from DS and Kelly.

How much substance there is to the Twitter ITK is another matter but you raise an interesting point.

Dunno if Terry has been sidelined. But It has been rumoured in numerous places that he only attends BMH a couple of days a week. You can imagine it being an uneasy alliance - JT one of the most decorated defenders of modern times, with DS who's defences leak goals, with every combination of players he has , be it at Villa, Brentford, or Walsall - who is the apprentice and who is the master ? - Is DS teaching Terry how to organise a defence - its almost laughable. Would be surprised if JT is on the staff beyond the end of the season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Ah well.

I suppose we have next season when DS gets a Pre-Season and gets all 'his players' in that suit 'his style' then we're gonna walk this league.  :unsure:

I think you are expecting way too much there and not fair to Smith at all.

It will be his first season with a brand new squad. It’s going to take time to get them to gel and used to his wonder ball. 

Patience is required I’m afraid, it’s going to take time to get a team playing to Brentford’s style and quality. 2-3 seasons minimum to get to the heady heights of 8th or 9th. We can then really push on from there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sne said:

I don't really buy that the type of football Smith wants us to play is so complicated or demanding that he needs a completely different set of players with different abilities to make it work.

It's not revolutionary stuff. Pass and move, pressing and what not. Every footballer can do, if they want to.

Think the issue is more that we have ad elderly, non motivated squad full of players who know they wont be here next season, they don't care.

You can see that the heads are gone on a lot of players, sure you can argue that it's Smith's job to motivate them, but with what? 

Sadly those who still try are either a bit crap or does no longer have the legs to make it.

With that said I don's think Smith is anything special in the world of football and if he can't get a tune out of the players for the rest of the season I think it would be sensible to look elsewhere to see if we can attract a higher quality manager.

Personally Im not convinced high pressing won't always leave you exposed in defence. You permanently play on a knife edge.

and FFS can we drop the Brentford thing ! - They are mid table championship side FFS - Smith took them over at 11TH, and he got 9th, 10TH & 9th -conceding a hatful of goals along the way , they will probably finish much the same this season. 

7 minutes ago, jim said:

I think you are expecting way too much there and not fair to Smith at all.

It will be his first season with a brand new squad. It’s going to take time to get them to gel and used to his wonder ball. 

Patience is required I’m afraid, it’s going to take time to get a team playing to Brentford’s style and quality. 2-3 seasons minimum to get to the heady heights of 8th or 9th. We can then really push on from there. 

So long as the U15 holding midfielder doesn't get injured - you've gotta take that into account. 

Whatever happens surely the club is aiming higher than trying to hopefully one day years from now emulate the mighty Brentford's way of playing?

Might be things they do that are cute, but must be countless other clubs we can look at and learn from rather than them.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Well the best performing players were brought in by him, recalled by him or John McGinn

My worry is that is actually the problem at the moment. He's getting good performances out of "his" players, but he seems to have lost all of Bruce's players, who still make up most of the team. I wonder what's going on behind the scenes.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Personally Im not convinced high pressing won't always leave you exposed in defence. You permanently play on a knife edge.

and FFS can we drop the Brentford thing ! - They are mid table championship side FFS - Smith took them over at 11TH, and he got 9th, 10TH & 9th -conceding a hatful of goals along the way , they will probably finish much the same this season. 

High pressing requires stamina and discipline and players able to rely on their teammates covering for them.

A lot of ours cant be arsed to or can no longer do it due to fitness issues.

Sure Smith can get a much better tune out of another set of players more down for the cause.

But I've still no idea if Smith is as good a manager as we are hoping he is.

Not a lot to go by yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

My worry is that is actually the problem at the moment. He's getting good performances out of "his" players, but he seems to have lost all of Bruce's players, who still make up most of the team. I wonder what's going on behind the scenes.

They know they won't be here after the season ends most of them, I reckon that's about it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

People keep saying that we’ve seen what he’s capable of in his first two months, that next season we could do that on a regular basis. However we’ve also seen what he’s been capable of after those two months, we could do that all next season too. I guess it depends on ‘his players’ that he needs to sign and the more important pre season that every manager needs in order to achieve promotion.

Smith went on several similar spells at Brentford where they went on bad spells without a win - and that was with his players playing his way - he’s had a habit of going on winning runs or losing runs without ever really getting consistency long term 

Edited by Eastie

Â