Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Once Smith gets his players in blah blah.

So the plan at the end of this season is to replace the squad with players who can play to his system.  Without Grealish, Abraham, McGinn, Mings, maybe Chester.

Good luck. We'll need to get used to promotion not happening next season either.

Next season and several seasons after I reckon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darth Villa said:

Thanks @AvfcRigo82, I just hope we have plan's for next season that are well advanced as I don't know how long Smith will get if we don't start seeing progress once he's got his "own" player's in over the summer.

No problem bud, do you think he will be given the summer to build then?..

11 hours ago, Dave J said:

Good grief Nooo please - we've done one dinosaur, he's another of yesterday's men.

Maybe Dean might not be the man - but I want to continue with someone with similar principles.

He also has a chip on both shoulders into the bargain imo 

crikey..you must me over joyed with smith progress.

football has changed, their is not long term plan , man u wont have a manager for over 15 tears again.

come to think of it many villa fans were not happy when we was linked to solskjaer

its all about the here & now & villa NEED MORE THAN YOU KNOW TO GET BACK UP FOR THE DOE.

8 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

Well under Bruce we couldn't beat them at all and they had 10 men for 60 minutes. Clear signs of progress!

youve dammed yourself with that answer. ...is that all he has ? He beat ipswich where bruce didnt.

being better than Bruce isnt a measure of much.

1 minute ago, cbr600rr said:

crikey..you must me over joyed with smith progress.

football has changed, their is not long term plan , man u wont have a manager for over 15 tears again.

come to think of it many villa fans were not happy when we was linked to solskjaer

its all about the here & now & villa NEED MORE THAN YOU KNOW TO GET BACK UP FOR THE DOE.

Yup anyone can stand up and say "behold I have a plan" ....

8 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

It was more aimed at people saying out ancient players can't play 2 games every week. The simple fact is that other than 8 lots of midweek rounds they don't anyway

They are professional footballers, expecting them to be able to actually play 46 games of football in 273 days whatever money they are being paid doesn't seem too unreasonable

Its not, but it's not that they can't play, it's that they won't be 100%, and at this level that makes a huge difference to their performance 

8 hours ago, Darth Villa said:

Thanks @AvfcRigo82, I guess we're both in the same boat with regards to trying to make sense of the alarming drop off in performances.

My belief is the club have decided this year isn't happening and therefore they're not bothered as we seem to have a plan for surviving FFP.   This in turn is filtering through to the player's, who aren't the most committed and motivated individuals on their best days either.

I just hope we have plan's for next season that are well advanced as I don't know how long Smith will get if we don't start seeing progress once he's got his "own" player's in over the summer.

I doubt that is true. I would doubt any manager would send his team out saying "Do you best - but don't stress too much if the going gets tough"  - Any manager will try to win every game, friendlies, cup games etc..

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Would Rodgers take the job is the question .

He doesn't need to he can get a Premier league job very easily. I'm not saying I support sacking Smith as its way too soon but if the dreadful continued until the end of the season and the owners decided to remove him I would look abroad at someone who has experience in championship like flores. 

My number one choice would obviously be jonkavic but I don't bt think we could get him

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He doesn't need to he can get a Premier league job very easily. I'm not saying I support sacking Smith as its way too soon but if the dreadful continued until the end of the season and the owners decided to remove him I would look abroad at someone who has experience in championship like flores. 

My number one choice would obviously be jonkavic but I don't bt think we could get him

I don’t see why jokanovic wouldn’t be gettable - yes his style is progressive and good to watch but results wise at this level he’s achieved far more than smith . 

‘Smith needs a decent finish to the season - I get the argument that Grealish is missing and these aren’t his players but let’s not forget that Brentford went on several  bad runs in his reign there when they couldn’t buy a win and that was with his players and system .

His time at Brentford had several highs and lows where they seemed to go on winning runs for 5 or 6 games and then go 7 or 8 without a win hence never making the play offs .

i am not calling for his head at this moment but do think he needs to turn this around before the season ends or the board will be fully justified in questioning their appointment 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I don’t see why jokanovic wouldn’t be gettable - yes his style is progressive and good to watch but results wise at this level he’s achieved far more than smith . 

‘Smith needs a decent finish to the season - I get the argument that Grealish is missing and these aren’t his players but let’s not forget that Brentford went on several  bad runs in his reign there when they couldn’t buy a win and that was with his players and system .

His time at Brentford had several highs and lows where they seemed to go on winning runs for 5 or 6 games and then go 7 or 8 without a win hence never making the play offs .

i am not calling for his head at this moment but do think he needs to turn this around before the season ends or the board will be fully justified in questioning their appointment 

The only obstacle I could see to Jovanic would be if we would come as head coach - or would he want control over transfers.... Even that I don't see as insurmountable..

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Next season and several seasons after I reckon.

Yep, it will take 2/3 seasons just to get to mighty Brentford’s level of greatness!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Would Rodgers take the job is the question .

I think that given our position with complete lack of squad in the summer and the promise to pretty much give him what he wants to rebuild he would be interested. He would fancy himself to get out of this division easily enough and the potential to build a premier league team pretty much from scratch would probably appeal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

The only obstacle I could see to Jovanic would be if we would come as head coach - or would he want control over transfers.... Even that I don't see as insurmountable..

If they are his summer transfers at Fulham then I wouldnt want him near the transfers

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Eastie said:

If that was his pattern at brentford then certainly he has continued that here. That for me wilm not be good enough as we had those patterns with Bruce. For me teh grealish injury sorry but I'm not buying that Smith. Shit happens it's your responsibility to manage without your best players. Other teams do. 

We won't have Tammy next season so what will the excuses be for that then? 

Surely every player in the Championship can play football how Smith wants them to play?? He doesn’t need his own players, he needs players that actually care, I think it’s the same problem Bruce had, these players are past caring, they aren’t putting in the 110% effort needed, they are putting in 75%. They are stale and ready to be moved on, so in that respect Smith needs his own players who have that drive to succeed, our squad has McGinn...

10 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Surely every player in the Championship can play football how Smith wants them to play?? He doesn’t need his own players, he needs players that actually care, I think it’s the same problem Bruce had, these players are past caring, they aren’t putting in the 110% effort needed, they are putting in 75%. They are stale and ready to be moved on, so in that respect Smith needs his own players who have that drive to succeed, our squad has McGinn...

this is where i'm at. it's not that smith needs HIS players per se, it's that he needs to get rid of the players we have. happy to keep kalinic, mcginn, and mings if we have option to buy (and give him the armband too) - the rest can all go.

• Like 2

Â