Dean Smith

Demitri_C

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dean Smith is coming in at almost the same time as Steve Bruce did in 2016.

I am not interested in comparing them......but lets give the bloke a chance and support him.

Absolutely TRO - when Bruce arrived my natural instinct was yesterday's man and I had little faith in him to deliver - as far as Dean Smith is concerned I view him as one for the future - this could hopefully spell take off for the club and also put him into the spotlight as well.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Our fitness will improve by retaining possession and not having to chase every game

Dean Smith likes his teams to press high to force mistakes or force the opposition long. Therefore he requires a fitness level within his team to be exceptionally high. 

• Like 1

Us fans with Deal Smith, it's going to have to take some good proper patience, give him time and don't shout for his head if this season doesn't go well.

I do hope however he can bring a shock to this league quick and we can catch many teams off guard who are expecting us to play like we did under bruce.

Let's just be patient and give him a few seasons or more, this isnt going to happen quick, whatever it takes to get villa back to where it should be..

A must watch, brilliant info on the type of Football Smith plays. (From a Brentford Fan)

Noteable he also says every player they have signed have only gotten better under Smith. (Opposite of us for too many years)

Triangles, one touch, quick moving and passing.

Also speaks on how incredible Hogan was under Smith, and how great his movement is.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

I like the fact this is a positive move  in both the short and long term.  The Championship is there for the taking this year and if DS ideas and methods bed in quickly we could do a Fulham.  The squad is there and if we shift the emphasis of play further up the pitch then we will be less susceptible to the defensive weaknesses.

If they don’t then we have a Manager who has had to rebuild sides almost year on year, brings through the youth and most importantly develops a system.  Something that Round and Bruce were rightly criticised for not doing.  Every side at the club should now play the DS way, make their pathway to the first team easier and they know their jobs and role when they get there..

We may actually be joining the 21st century having been rudderless for over 10 years.

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

In my experience it's results. 

True but the manager normally says something like “I need to improve results and to get that I need to improve their fitness and organisation”

I can think of a lot of our appointments all come in and criticised the fitness of the pmayers, remember all the different fitness coaches we’ve had.... it’s almost like players don’t train as hard when things have started to go badly ?

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A must watch, brilliant info on the type of Football Smith plays. (From a Brentford Fan)

Noteable he also says every player they have signed have only gotten better under Smith. (Opposite of us for too many years)

Also speaks on how incredible Hogan was under Smith, and how great his movement is.

A lot of Brentford’s players are young and signed from weaker teams so the players have a lot to learn and get good coaching from Smith and his team. We’ve got quite a few players that have played at a high level for some time now so it will be interesting to see if he can also improve their games.

With some of them I hope it’s not a case of cant teach an old dog new tricks and all that. 

5 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Us fans with Deal Smith, it's going to have to take some good proper patience, give him time and don't shout for his head if this season doesn't go well.

I do hope however he can bring a shock to this league quick and we can catch many teams off guard who are expecting us to play like we did under bruce.

Let's just be patient and give him a few seasons or more, this isnt going to happen quick, whatever it takes to get villa back to where it should be..

I totally agree with the above post. Smith needs time because we need to remember that these players have been used to playing a completely different style of football to what Smith will expect from them and so he's going to need plenty of time to train the new style into them. 

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Hogan’s movement was great for a few games when he first arrived. Then after running about and nobody ever picking out his runs his movement just faded. 

He isn’t the only one. I’ve never known so many players who have arrived with excellent reputations and gone downhill. Hopefully Dean Smith can help them recapture the form they had when they used to be coached at their previous clubs, rather than just receive instructions on how to get dressed. 

According to Hogan, Bruce just used to tell him to keep working hard whenever he complained about not getting enough of the ball. How refreshing it must be for our players to now have a manager who has ideas other than to just tell them to keep working hard. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Which now makes me doubt everything else he said. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

... but he was very good for Brentford, that can't be argued. 

I know. I just can't buy into the idea that Hogan can be key to these quick one touch passing to build up attacks. Without exaggeration, i think he is the worst passing attacker i have ever seen wear the shirt. 

Looking at his stats for his whole villa career, he averages around 5 completed passes every time he plays. That is just laughably abysmal.

If Smith does some amazing trick to change that, then he truly is a managerial genius. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I know. I just can't buy into the idea that Hogan can be key to these quick one touch passing to build up attacks. Without exaggeration, i think he is the worst passing attacker i have ever seen wear the shirt. 

Looking at his stats for his whole villa career, he averages around 5 completed passes every time he plays. That is just laughably abysmal.

If Smith does some amazing trick to change that, then he truly is a managerial genius. 

He has been garbage here, I do think a lot is down to the tactics and crucially coaching (players clearly weren't coached properly under Bruce, hence our pathetically disjointed and incoherent way of playing), but there's an undeniable part that's down to him not being up to the task of playing for a club like this. I would say if there's anyone who can get Hogan firing it's Smith, O'Kelly et al. I'm not all that confident, but I do think we'll see a better Hogan at the very least.

10 minutes ago, romavillan said:

That's weird as he was a crucial part of a Brentford attack that was all about playing to feet, one and two touch, quickly, on the edge of the box to find a way to play him in through the lines. 

Hard to do that when your nearest team mate is 50 yards away and you're receiving the ball at 200mph neck high from 50 yards with your back to goal, coolly playing a one touch, one two, with someone that far away is tricky.

But you know, maybe you're right. Maybe it was Hogan.

Nothing like a complete exaggeration. Wonder how players like snodgrass and Grealish managed to look so good with no players around. The idea that Hogan's issues with us are nothing to do with him is ridiculous. He worked well, for a short period in comparison to his career at 27 years old. Not unheard of for shit players to have a short magic spell once. 

Â