Dean Smith

Demitri_C

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Digne is absolutely miles better than Targett

In a Villa shirt, I'm not seeing it so far. 20/21 Targett was better as it stands. Though that's probably down to Gerrard's ridiculous system than anything. At the time I thought Digne was a huge upgrade. So hopefully he fulfills that under the next manager.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Targett has been better for Newcastle than Digne has been for us.

That's more so down to team performance. Trent and Robertson would look bad with Steven handing out the match day tactics. 

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

In a Villa shirt, I'm not seeing it so far. 20/21 Targett was better as it stands. Though that's probably down to Gerrard's ridiculous system than anything. At the time I thought Digne was a huge upgrade. So hopefully he fulfills that under the next manager.

Targett was helped massively by having Grealish in front of him. Once Grealish left his performances dropped massively.

Digne is a far better player. He's been an upgrade despite not even playing that well

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Targett was helped massively by having Grealish in front of him. Once Grealish left his performances dropped massively.

Digne is a far better player. He's been an upgrade despite not even playing that well

Agree with this

Targett was garbage after grealish, as were villa in general, shipping him out made sense 

How we've had such a drop off mentally after selling grealish is what needs addressing, it's not just Targett it's Watkins and Konsa too, we're still reeling, the worrying thing being the likes of Digne have quite happily dropped off too and they weren't even here... 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Just nonsense really 

Is it really? He is defensively weak and while slightly better vs West Ham the first 3 games of the season he was pathetic not to mention the Watford/Newcastle crap last season

Even our best left back performance in 2022 he was injured and replaced by Young

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Like @HanoiVillansaid, Targett is performing better right now, let alone before. I agree he's better on paper but he isn't showing it yet. Could be that he never does and maybe we were wrong about him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Like @HanoiVillansaid, Targett is performing better right now, let alone before. I agree he's better on paper but he isn't showing it yet. Could be that he never does and maybe we were wrong about him.

Digne has been a clear step up from the Matt Targett that left Aston Villa. 

Digne hasn’t been at his best, but neither has basically the whole squad. 

He’s been one of the more consistent performers

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Absolutely.

It was not a change we required to make and Digne is also older and likely on higher wages. 

Nearly everyone on here was saying we needed a new left back during the first half of that season (along with a proper DM and another CB which to be fair we have got)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Digne has been crap, probably the worst player for us along with McGinn this calendar year

He couldn't get a game at a crap Everton team behind Jonjo Kenny

That was down to  agent Rafa. Everton fans were disgusted that he sold him. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

That was down to  agent Rafa. Everton fans were disgusted that he sold him. 

I dont think they were. They were against Rafa at the time but now most have said meh. He wasnt really that good

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah I agree. Digne is doing alright, Targett was also alright.

Probably better to move this mini discussion to the Digne thread.

I’ll reserve judgement on him and others for now until we have someone in charge who hasn’t the brain capacity of a stale chicken nugget.

Edited by Ingram85

Â