Dean Smith

Demitri_C

43 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I thought the overreaction after the United game was pretty cringeworthy tbh (although of course I understand the joy at beating United, I just don't think we should have read too much into it). But I think the same now.

Everything you're saying about the United game works in reverse here too. We got lucky at United and we got unlucky here.

I said after the United game, despite the over the top positive vibes, we weren’t an European place squad and now after the loss we aren’t as bad as yesterdays last ten minutes.  We are midtable team getting inconsistent results like midtable teams do.

• Like 2

I'm guessing that most of us think Southgate is the weak link in a talented England set up. For some reason Smith has adopted Southgate's tactical set up and continues to make similar negative substitutions. His in game management is similar to Southgate's in that it lacks proactive positivity.

Dean is well liked by his players but lacks the gravitas to make the players afraid to under perform. This is another GS trait.

Southgate isn't getting sacked anytime soon and I suspect neither is Smith, but the similarities between the two do not fill me with confidence that Dean has it in him to take us to the next step in NSWE's planned journey. As others have said NSWE will make their own decision.

13 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Beat man united - smith is absolutely amazing, we are so lucky to have him.

Anniversary of DS appointment - happy deano day everyone, look at how far he has taken us, long live dean smith.

Lose to wolves - smith out.

FFS

Yes both are OTT

Also just on the Smith not being "the guy"/NSWE being ruthless, efficient decision makers, as much as they've been terrific owners and I couldn't have asked for anything better, I'm not exactly sure the grass will be greener. It seems to be generally accepted wisdom that Henry was right up there as a priority for them (and some of you nutters if I remember rightly) back then and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Purslow targeted similar. Like many would want Galtier and we'd end up with a Terry or Lampard (or Gerrard, who in fairness is building his reputation well but certainly isn't a no-brainer).

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No but it does mean that we have to have patience, 2 points off 7th with 30 games left playing a new formation with new key players 

Its madness to even be talking about sacking him, sadly it's also typical villa and our miserable moaning fan base

8 games in and again our most vocal experts are telling us what we have to do and what we will do

There seems to be this misguided belief that if we sack him a.n.other can come in and automatically do better based on absolutely nothing other than "our owners have ambition" 

Just let it play out and have patience 

Exactly. It keeps coming back to this demand for instant success. There's going to be bumps along the way. It's been 8 games, our entitled fan base need to get a grip at times.

Just playing devils advocate here, but if every season we bring a  couple of players in, we have to have this slow start, we aren't really going to progress are we? Smith said himself at the start of the season there will be no need for time to gel, we then lost against Watford, with another poor performance.

The only worry I have with Smith, an I mentioned this earlier, is we always seem to lose games on errors or not playing our best. If we are at our best we can see off almost any team. This has always been a issue with Smith, performances are always so inconsistent. One week we are seeing off Everton the next we can't get passed a Southampton. I don't believe it's a trait of a midtable team,  as most of the teams below us are below us for a reason.

I'm not saying I want him to go (just to remind the haters) but I'm sure a more experienced manager could do better with the squad we have. We have some top players here, just struggle to get the best out of them time and time again, other managers may not put up with this. I mean how many times do we allow McGinn to have a lazy game. Smith wouldn't dream of changing it at half time even if something was blatantly not working or a player underperforming.

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I mean how many times do we allow McGinn to have a lazy game.

He got MOTM on here with 78% of the vote…seems to have got plaudits on other platforms and media.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Just playing devils advocate here, but if every season we bring a  couple of players in, we have to have this slow start, we aren't really going to progress are we? Smith said himself at the start of the season there will be no need for time to gel, we then lost against Watford, with another poor performance.

The only worry I have with Smith, an I mentioned this earlier, is we always seem to lose games on errors or not playing our best. If we are at our best we can see off almost any team. This has always been a issue with Smith, performances are always so inconsistent. One week we are seeing off Everton the next we can't get passed a Southampton. I don't believe it's a trait of a midtable team,  as most of the teams below us are below us for a reason.

I'm not saying I want him to go (just to remind the haters) but I'm sure a more experienced manager could do better with the squad we have. We have some top players here, just struggle to get the best out of them time and time again, other managers may not put up with this. I mean how many times do we allow McGinn to have a lazy game. Smith wouldn't dream of changing it at half time even if something was blatantly not working or a player underperforming.

I'd love to know what you've based that on. Because the last 20 odd years of premier league football would completely disagree with you. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

One week we are seeing off Everton the next we can't get passed a Southampton. I don't believe it's a trait of a midtable team

Isn’t that the actual definition of a midtable team? Win one, lose one.  Doesn’t matter what teams above and below do, if you win one, lose one you are by definition a midtable result type team.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He got MOTM on here with 78% of the vote…seems to have got plaudits on other platforms and media.

I'm not talking about yesterday, he had a good game yes. But more often than not, he's not in the game, an needs to be a major player in our team.

This was reported after the collapse at home to Leeds.....

Dean Smith had this to say that day: “Going 2-0 up in a game like this, you expect to see it out, especially at Villa Park. We got punished for defensive lapses. It’s happened too much and it’s reared its ugly head again. They were probably better than us, but a draw was a fair result. Instead, it’s my first defeat at Villa Park and it’s a hard one to take.”

This is not a one off its becoming a trait,that rears its ugly head from time to time, is right.

It needs to be examined closely and worked on.

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Smith wouldn't dream of changing it at half time even if something was blatantly not working or a player underperforming.

Smith changed the team with subs who were 2-0 up, after the subs were brought on we lost 3-2.  Plus he has taken players off at half time but I don’t see many half time changes these across the PL.

I really don't think people appreciate the distribution of talent in this league. There's varying degrees but almost every single team has a manager and several players of proven quality worth a lot of money that are capable of hurting any side they play against. The margins are extremely fine, particularly in the general region we're in where there's many teams jostling for position.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It really isn't reactionary. 

The manager sets the mentality. And today we genuinely looked like the Villa from 19/20. 

It's absolutely inexcusable losing the way we did. 

This is regression not progression. 

its happened too many times to be reactionary.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

This was reported after the collapse at home to Leeds.....

Dean Smith had this to say that day: “Going 2-0 up in a game like this, you expect to see it out, especially at Villa Park. We got punished for defensive lapses. It’s happened too much and it’s reared its ugly head again. They were probably better than us, but a draw was a fair result. Instead, it’s my first defeat at Villa Park and it’s a hard one to take.”

This is not a one off its becoming a trait,that rears its ugly head from time to time, is right.

It needs to be examined closely and worked on.

Yeah but rarely! But does happen.  Our defensive record and clean sheet record last season proves we’ve improved on that but it happens rarely, I guess if we look at other teams they would say the same about themselves, we aren’t unique in that.  Everton losing 3-0 to us, wasn’t a 3-0 game, their fans probably felt they imploded for example.

Edited by nick76

7 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I really don't think people appreciate the distribution of talent in this league. There's varying degrees but almost every single team has a manager and several players of proven quality worth a lot of money that are capable of hurting any side they play against. The margins are extremely fine, particularly in the general region we're in where there's many teams jostling for position.

This. It really feels like everyone else is dismissed at times. As if not winning is all down to us and our poor players and our poor manager making poor decisions. Like the other teams don't matter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I said after the United game, despite the over the top positive vibes, we weren’t an European place squad and now after the loss we aren’t as bad as yesterdays last ten minutes.  We are midtable team getting inconsistent results like midtable teams do.

but this is not a one-off Nick, that is the worrying factor.

Dean himself made a similar reference after the Leeds collapse at home....it has happened too many times.

where did Wolves get that fire in their belly from?...in the last 15 minutes.

Dean will be fuming after that and it might be the right time to act.....sometimes measured and calm reactions don't always have the desired affect.

some don't deserve a next game.

Â