Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Titles are all made up. We could call him Lord Chancellor of the Galactic Covenant of Fish Men for all it matters. He will still be the bloke who puts the cones out. 

That is a title that would interest me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Titles are all made up. We could call him Lord Chancellor of the Galactic Covenant of Fish Men for all it matters. He will still be the bloke who puts the cones out. 

Shame the KKK has Grand Imperial Wizard locked up because it's a deuecy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Dean Smith has overseen:

- A ten in a row win streak

- Playoff final victory and subsequent promotion

- League Cup final

- Survival and consolidation in the league

- Won the FA Youth cup

and has been the manager when we:

- beat Liverpool 7-2

- beat Arsenal twice in one season

- beat Chelsea and Spurs within a couple of weeks of eachother

- Beat Man Utd at Old Trafford

I’d say, from the shitshow that we were before he arrived, that Dean Smith has done fantastically and has proven his ability as a legit Premier League manager

When you factor in that he had to deal with the illness and subsequent death of his father as well, it just makes the above even more impressive.

His celebration of our goal yesterday was a site to behold, a Villa man through and through, fantastic to see. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not going to lie, the lack of credit and respect/appreciation towards Deano et al in some of those initial interviews really rubbed me the wrong way.

Grealish was always thankful though, his quotes just weren't cool soundbites that the media could wind up Villa fans. Even the famous one in Hungary he praised Smith for a minute or two

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Rembwr when Deano came out after one of the losses , annoyed being asked about Jack again ( When he was out injured). Saying something along the lines of " It's almost as if the players are waiting for Jack to come back as well, and I've put a team of players out there who are capable of better than what we've just seen " etc 

I miss his fake quotes from the ten in a row of standing on the opposition throat or one about eating the heart out like a lion would 😂

• Haha 2

I wonder how long it will be before he's recognized as one of the best managers in the league and struggling top 6 clubs start thinking about taking a punt on him. Mercifully for now he's currently very underrated and never comes up in these conversations. People were discussing Brighton getting more credit, and another example of that is Graham Potter's name coming up in discussions around the Arsenal and Spurs jobs. Us being "little old Villa" is actually working to our advantage for once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Hey @villalad21

I am still interested to know at what point you think Dean Smith deserves recognition for his achievements? How many wins does he need under his belt? 

Eagerly awaiting your response. 

I'm not saying if he is or isn't deserving recognition.

But for neutrals they will simply look at hundreds of millions spent and an 17th and 11th finish. No one will drool over you for finishing mid table.

If he manages to finish in the top 6 or 7th I can see people speaking about him in high regard like Potter is right now.

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not saying if he is or isn't deserving recognition.

But for neutrals they will simply look at hundreds of millions spent and an 17th and 11th finish. No one will drool over you for finishing mid table.

If he manages to finish in the top 6 or 7th I can see people speaking about him in high regard like Potter is right now.

I hadn’t noticed Brighton finishing 6th or 7th to be fair, good shout. 

It was a personal question to you regardless, do YOU think he deserves recognition for his achievements here so far? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I hadn’t noticed Brighton finishing 6th or 7th to be fair, good shout. 

It was a personal question to you regardless, do YOU think he deserves recognition for his achievements here so far? 

Brighton is also a much smaller club. 

Aston Villa is a massive fotball club so expectations are for obvious reasons higher. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Brighton is also a much smaller club. 

Aston Villa is a massive fotball club so expectations are for obvious reasons higher. 

Expectations are subjective. They’re meaningless, really. 

Do you think Dean Smith deserves recognition for his achievements here? 

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Expectations are subjective. They’re meaningless, really. 

Do you think Dean Smith deserves recognition for his achievements here? 

What sort of recognition are you referring to?

Because I've seen clips from Talksport recently and they are praising him for the job he has done. So he is certainly starting to get it.

He just needs to keep progressing.

38 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think Potter will deserve some recognition if he takes Brighton to the top of the PL this evening and as I am giving out recognition, a big tap of the back to Dean Smith for all he has achieved at Aston Villa over the last 3 years 😄

I hope Potter does well, as when England is looking for their next manager they don't consider Dean. 

• Like 1

On 26/09/2021 at 11:02, macandally said:

So pray tell, given the lack of squad depth who would you have played instead of Chelsea and England International Ross Barkley?

Eventually he went with youth in JJ but that was a ballsy move in itself and you have no idea how ready he was because you my friend do not take training day in and day out.

it’s a poor stick to beat him with, Gresford was our best player, but with that comes problems, Dean has now a better squad, team and balance, including bench options.  
He couldn’t play what he didn’t have!

I’m a Smith fan by the way. So it’s not as if I’m trying to find his mistakes for the sake of it. 
Ramsey showed he can do better than Barkley. Apart from Liverpool and Arsenal early games, Barkley was below average. 
He could’ve played Jack on the middle as he did when Barkley wasn’t around. He could’ve player Nakamba or Ramsey when Jack wasn’t playing. 
Smith himself got fed of Barkley, but that was after he kept trying him one time after the other. 
Anyway that’s all gone, now Smith is showing (not only me or us, but the whole league) what he can do. As long as he’s learning, and acting quickly, I will be happy even if he do some mistakes. It’s not as if  we understand football more than whoever, but when we see a view, and the manager act accordingly then we would know that he realized something. 
When you look at the club as a whole, you appreciate the work that’s being done. Ofcourse Smith is one of the most important elements in the whole setup.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I wonder how long it will be before he's recognized as one of the best managers in the league and struggling top 6 clubs start thinking about taking a punt on him. Mercifully for now he's currently very underrated and never comes up in these conversations. People were discussing Brighton getting more credit, and another example of that is Graham Potter's name coming up in discussions around the Arsenal and Spurs jobs. Us being "little old Villa" is actually working to our advantage for once.

I think that’s better for us. Last week someone mentioned Man Utd schedule and how hard is it. But he didn’t mention Villa game. Started from Everton. Now another one mentioned how bad are Spurs and they’re playing Villa. 
But I like going under the radar. People are underestimating us after Jack. They don’t see us spending massively and they saw that we’re inconsistent by beating Liverpool 7-2 then being 11th. They still don’t understand we aren’t starting our most expensive players yet. They don’t know our approach nor our setup. They even think we didn’t spend all of Jack money because owners are ordinary. 

So better to keep it as it is until we show them what can we do.

• Like 2

Â