Dean Smith

Demitri_C

44 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

As soon as they are fit they will be in the team and we will be playing a different system, I wouldn’t worry.

A 4-3-3 gets Buendia and Bailey into the team no problem so wouldn't worry about it. Traore will be more of a supersub this season (perhaps he'll take the AEG role of last season of being on fringes and then having a good run of form over xmas).

Only issue is what we do with the two main strikers and will McGinn and Luiz look as good with more attacking players in the team so those are the cons but they're not terrible problems and Bailey and Buendia obviously need to be starting when fully fit.

58 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I am not sure of this Trent. I think he knows exactly what he wants to do, he just hasn’t been able to do it yet as Bailey and Buendia - our two record signings - have both been out. So what we have been doing has been a bit of adaptation. Liverpool would look different without Salah and Mane, etc etc. Pretty sure when they are fit it’ll be a 4-5-1/4-3-3 and look a lot better.

Good post and Liverpool are a great example. Arguably one of the best teams in Europe the last 3 years yet you take Salah out this season and you wonder how well they would be doing when you consider the nature of some of his goals.  Yes you can’t rely on star players but it’s not like we’re struggling, we lost by the odd goal away to a Spurs teams that won their opening 3 games.  I think concerns over systems and signings are very premature.

• Like 2

I don't really get the concern or worry about new signings and where they fit. As others have said, we've been unable to field our best 11 yet and we're still midtable and got a win at old Trafford. Both Bailey (injury) and Buendia (his choice) have not been able to get a run in the team so far. 

We're rebuilding the way we play and integrating new players into a squad. I fully expect our consistency to kick in 2nd half of the season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I don't really get the concern or worry about new signings and where they fit. As others have said, we've been unable to field our best 11 yet and we're still midtable and got a win at old Trafford. Both Bailey (injury) and Buendia (his choice) have not been able to get a run in the team so far. 

We're rebuilding the way we play and integrating new players into a squad. I fully expect our consistency to kick in 2nd half of the season.

I thinks that how will be this season. At times we will look great and get good results...other Times we just won't show up.

• Like 1

Can be so easy to forget the place we were in when he took over, doubt anyone thought we'd have come so far in such little time but it's nice to have little milestone days like this that put it in real perspective. Up the Deano.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When have we not shown up this season apart from Watford? If losing by the odd goal away to Spurs is not showing up then maybe  expectations have become too high?

Ok - I will explain. Sometimes we have played really well and good results. Other times we have played not so good and got poor results.

I think we will be a little inconsistent as DS tries various formations and selections.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hippo said:

Ok - I will explain. Sometimes we have played really well and good results. Other times we have played not so good and got poor results.

I think we will be a little inconsistent as DS tries various formations and selections.

Problem is we will always be like this, we are midtable fodder I keep being told, an should appreciate it!

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

Enjoy it. I tend not to look at the bigger picture any more. I just go down the villa hoping to see a good game of football - and of course a villa win.

Exactly. What’s the point of never being happy with your team?  Criticism and feedback is understandable but if the only thing that is important to you is winning things or challenging top 6 then what’s the point? 

Anyway back on topic , Smith will sort out how to utilise this squad. Keep the faith. 

• Like 1

On 08/10/2021 at 23:30, Keener window-cleaner said:

That's a very good read. Replacing 1 player with 3 doesn't improve our starting 11 as we cant field 13 players. I see Bailey as Jacks replacement, I have loved what I've seen of Bailey so far but as of yet he isn't an improvement. Buendia I see as a replacement for Barkley, compared to the Barkley before his injury it's about even. Ings I see as a replacement for Wesley, but as Wesley was on the bench that's an improvement of the bench not the starting 11. So the staring 11 hasn't improved. The biggest concern for me is that we didn't seem to have a well thought out plan of how to best use the players we bought. For me it's hurting to see Bailey, Buendia and Traoré on the bench. With the system we play now there doesn't seem to a natural position for any one of them. Spending £70M on two exciting players and then have them on the bench is a concern.

I don't want to be negative but I don't think Watkins and Ings will work, at least not with this formation and and the players we field behind them. To me Watkins and Ings are too similar, both like to drop down and run in behind the defence, neither creates much for the other and they more or less run at the same balls. Both need creative players behind them who feeds them with quality through balls and create chances for them, problem is, when we play two hard working box to box midfielders behind in McGinn and Ramsey, they wont get the quality passes that for example Buendia and Traoré can provide. That leaves it to our wide players to create chances, but there we have our two full backs who are good full backs, but mostly just whipps in crosses. I think it would be better for Watkins and Ings if Buendia played instead of Ramsey and if Bailey played instead of Targett. If also Traoré played instead of Cash then they would get a lot to work with, but it would probably leave us far too vulnerable.

I have no doubt that Dean Smith will figure out a way of making it work, but I think it will mean that only one of Ings and Watkins will play, perhaps both can play if Watkins plays wide forward at times.

I think Watkins and Ings will work, but not at the moment, it looks a bit cumbersome.....If Ings and watkins take a post each, one at the front one at the back, it opens up so many options, for willing runners too, like McGinn.

Its getting the service right, that is the key.....There has been so many enviable partnerships up front, too many to mention...sure its mainly in the past, but it can still work.

The key for me is that we can ill afford players behind them to be chapperoned or passive....they need to be on their game, asking questions and driving the initiative.....They are amongst the 2 best front men in the country, and we are lucky to have them.....of course it can work, but they need service in order to get their interactive play co-ordianted and in sync.

Dean will get it to work, and when he does it will be hard to stop.

• Shearer and Sherigham
  • Sharp and Gray
  • shearer and Sutton
  • Withe and Shaw
  • Carew and Gabby
  • Cole and Yorke
  • Drogba and Anelka
  • Henry and Bergkamp
  • Shearer and Ferdinand
  • Wright and Bergkamp

and many more.

we just need to work it out.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Enjoy it. I tend not to look at the bigger picture any more. I just go down the villa hoping to see a good game of football - and of course a villa win.

Thats all we can do....and its the right thing to do.

The progress is gradual and evident and that is the right pace too, IMO....Slowly, slowly catch a monkey.

meteoric rises attract the wrong attention....we are doing it all right, IMV.

Sure we all want to improve...nowt wrong with that....and we are.

In 1976/77 it was gradual and like now you could see it incrementally....we are in a good place.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Problem is we will always be like this, we are midtable fodder I keep being told, an should appreciate it!

Absolute losers if people are happy just to survive and making up the numbers. 

Fortunately the owners are more ambitious than that. 

Smith has got this season. 

Next season at the latest to take us into Europe. If he doesn't deliver that I'm fairly confident he will be gone. 

Newcastle make that task a lot more difficult but it doesn't change the ambitions. 

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Next season at the latest to take us into Europe. If he doesn't deliver that I'm fairly confident he will be gone. 

Newcastle make that task a lot more difficult but it doesn't change the ambitions. 

I think Dean Smith, is well aware of the expectations and so far the incremental improvement has been met....he has never baulked at the Owners ambitions, and has only supported it ,when asked.

I get the impression, Deans personal ambitions for AV are in sync with the owners, not contrary to them...He welcomes the expectations.

The Graham Hunter "Big Interview" laid clear his intentions, his awareness of Ron Saunders's, pockets of success and the culture he so preciously nurtures as the cornerstone of our progress.....It left me in no uncertain terms of what he pursues.

Every managers needs a prevailing wind and a bit of luck and Deans honesty in addressing any questions on his make up, leaves me believing he deserves every bit, that comes his way.

This guy, is not a fly by night, I genuinely believe he is as close to Sir Ron as we have seen to date, Like Fergie and Robson a man of principles and fair mindedness, with a will to win.......Its kinda " Leave him alone and the bacon will come home"...

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You've said he'll be gone every season since he took the job

• Like 3

Â