Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Very weak from the club. 

It's good. It's the kind of thing you'd expect the manager (I assume it was Dean) to say. He's not responsible for dealings with FIFA, UEFA etc.  - that's the CEO and others (premier League etc,) should get on with.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's good. It's the kind of thing you'd expect the manager (I assume it was Dean) to say. He's not responsible for dealings with FIFA, UEFA etc.  - that's the CEO and others (premier League etc,) should get on with.

Not talking about his statement.

Was a joke of a decision letting them go in the first place.

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I agree. Smith has done a great job. Pep is a top manager. It’s not mutually exclusive.

Imagine Smith with that City side, easy then to see him as a world class Coach.

I may be reaching here but even Bruce couldn't go wrong with that City side or could he?

Edited by Dave-R

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Seems like once again we're guessing at the inner workings of the club and conversations that we weren't privy to in order to get a stick to beat Dean Smith with

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah I do not think anyone has any power over the player here. If a player wants to represent there country then not much can be done.

Just now, Dave-R said:

We'll probably never know but I think there's an underrated skill at the very top where you have to keep top quality £30m £200k a week international footballers happy only playing 20 games a year 

Man city's 3rd choice left back is a world cup winner (without wanting to go in to what else he is) he ain't Neil Taylor 

Smith has a great personality but it's hard to know if that's what it is, could look at Jose's decline too, his winning mentality to be kind doesn't seem to work anymore just a decade in from it winning him everything, the players don't perform for him 

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why don’t you understand the club had no power to stop them?

Where is the likes of Alisson, Fred and Firmino then.

Six Premier League clubs reportingly refused to let their players go. Aston Villa was not one of them.

Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Leeds and Everon

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We'll probably never know but I think there's an underrated skill at the very top where you have to keep top quality £30m £200k a week international footballers happy only playing 20 games a year 

Man city's 3rd choice left back is a world cup winner (without wanting to go in to what else he is) he ain't Neil Taylor 

Smith has a great personality but it's hard to know if that's what it is, could look at Jose's decline too, his winning mentality to be kind doesn't seem to work anymore just a decade in from it winning him everything, the players don't perform for him 

I think with Jose, he has lost his way in what brought him success. Spurs players often complained about his training sessions being way to basic and amateur and if you looked at him it really did look as though he'd just has enough of premier football. Jose used to be a very passionate teacher and exciting to listen to but his last couple of teams he just looks so drained of everything. I may be wrong but it really did look like he needed a change and maybe Roma will be perfect for him to make a comeback.

Man City have that much at there disposal I think even Arteta could manage one of his first 4 games as a win with the City side and get goals lol..

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They play for Brazil and would have had to quarantine and thus miss the games - same as Douglas Luiz. Though what that has to do with Dean Smith I dunno. Can we stay on topic please 

• Like 4

Just now, villalad21 said:

Six Premier League clubs reportingly refused to let their players go. Aston Villa was not one of them.

Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Leeds and Everon

Maybe when negotiating contracts those clubs that do better than us each season have negotiated the players contracts and one of the stipulations is the club can say no to the player going on international duty. I mean if we look at us we are kind of weak compared to those clubs in what we can ask for or expect when negotiating, where the likes of pool or UTD could say no your not going to play international football, it maybe that Buendia, Martinez made sure they had the say on it all. Sometimes it's the little changes that make players want to come here because they are not as restricted. Remember those who get into europe or champions league can have the negotiating power over a club like ours who does not get qualification to any europe events.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I may be reaching here but even Bruce couldn't go wrong with that City side or could he?

a bit light on right backs for it to fully work out

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Maybe when negotiating contracts those clubs that do better than us each season have negotiated the players contracts and one of the stipulations is the club can say no to the player going on international duty. I mean if we look at us we are kind of weak compared to those clubs in what we can ask for or expect when negotiating, where the likes of pool or UTD could say no your not going to play international football, it maybe that Buendia, Martinez made sure they had the say on it all. Sometimes it's the little changes that make players want to come here because they are not as restricted. Remember those who get into europe or champions league can have the negotiating power over a club like ours who does not get qualification to any europe events.

Mate if Liverpool, City, Leeds, Chelsea and any other club had Argentina internationals they would have gone to the qualifiers. The Argentina FA and manager made it clear they had to come or would jeopardise their positions.  Clubs are powerless to stop players. 

It’s not about Smith and the club being a soft touch. That’s the last I’ll say on it because it’s going off topic and some people just aren’t getting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Well Bruce had the City equivalent team in the Championship and managed to balls it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

you make it sound like the owners judge the manager based on watching him every week and applying context rather than relying on tables, stats and opinions to tell them where we should be as a team...

i completely trust the set up we've got at the club, from NSWE to the tea lady, it'll be a long ride that people should at least try and enjoy

I’ve no idea how the owners carry out their assessment but I doubt it would be on a week by week basis, I’d hope and believe that they will be interested how we do week by week but they’ve never come across as short term knee jerk reaction types.

They’re assessment will I’d think be a broad over view. I’m sure they will employ people looking at the minutiae but more to help the whole club tweak things here and there. 

When I said that targets and circumstances will be changing as the season goes on, I meant that stuff like long term injuries to key players, can inevitably have an effect on our season. Equally a few players doing better than we’d hoped, perhaps young players, may mean that we aim to finish a place or two higher. It’s just guesswork for us fans and probably the same for those at the club but a much more informed guess. 

Â