Dean Smith

Demitri_C

28 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Count me in as confused, what 'PR job' does he have on his hands? Is he expected to predict the inner machinations of South American politics now? 

I mean, as far as we are concerned nothing has changed. The two Argentinian lads will miss the Chelsea game. 

He'll get bombarded with questions about it, and he'll have to answer them. I'm not saying he should have to, or its right that he is asked such questions, but you know the press are going to hound him about it.  Its what they do

Also fyi @nick76

Edited by MrBlack

53 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

He'll get bombarded with questions about it, and he'll have to answer them. I'm not saying he should have to, or its right that he is asked such questions, but you know the press are going to hound him about it.  Its what they do

Also fyi @nick76

I doubt he will be bombarded as its still nearly a week away, anything can happen in football before then. And if he is asked he will answer in a calm manner as normal. He isnt Steve Bruce who gets defensive at the first opportunity

We have to win matches, we all know that, but the notion that's without Dean is a dangerous thought,right now.

We are well and truly in a sticky situation, but to discard someone who is well versed with the club as he is, is folly....for every Tuchel there is a LVG.

We have seen some of  the so called big names , faulter at other clubs, so that solution is not clear, either.

Dean has so much influence at our club and consequently that impacts on so many factors, we don't see.

He acheived 16 wins and 7 draws last season accruing a win ratio of 51%.....where are we going to get a manager to match that or create the stability in the bargain. We have to trust in him.

As we stand, we have some choppy waters to navigate, we need our captain more than at any time, in his tenure.

He needs our support more than at anytime in the job, too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Maybe NSWE,Smith, Lange and Purslow didn't think Midfield signing was needed just yet. I myself feel we had enough decent midfielders for now to concentrate on buying much better attackers. I kept saying last season the problem we was having was we was struggling with keeping the ball higher up the pitch, we just couldn't do it and it all landed back at our defence adding tons of stress to the defence.

Midfield will no doubt be the next area to concentrate as it is now for certain our weakest area. We can only do so much a season and not everything can always be strengthened straight away. Sometimes it's best to do abit of strength adding, play some games and then see what needs to be corrected and I feel that is what's happened here and we have money come January that can be spent in this way to add strength. Now if in January midfield shows to be our weakest I believe someone's going to get brought in. Keeper, defence, Wingers, Strikers we seem to be sorted in those areas, but at any point even though on paper midfield to us is weakest could all of a sudden change and we could become weak at any area.

I just believe that we didn't throw all the money in, spent a couple hundred mill as we could of done and played this smartly. There are reasons why we didn't spend everything available while other clubs did by the looks of it. If other clubs spent their load yet mess there season up at least we have the ability to spend and change that if we go through it.

NSWE and the ones under them like Purslow are very smart at these games and I don't think they have really put a foot wrong yet since taking over, everything seems to be always above expectation.

Keeping our powder dry, might be the smartest option...In the current climate.

many moons ago, we would panic buy, with such funds, but I think we are more measured now.

I also think the academy boys, may have persuaded them to pause and see how they go as they say " fools rush in where angels fear to tread"......we might be pleasantly surprised, when they get a few games under their belts.

Consolidation is this seasons message, I think......In view of us going up a season earlier than planned, it's no real delay in our progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/09/2021 at 06:03, Dave-R said:

Well if it is a struggling season it may be known to NSWE and be an acceptable for all we know.

I certainly would think it were really harsh to sack Dean on a season that were out of his control. 

I don't even think its crossing their minds Dave.

but we have to find a way of picking up points during this unprecedented series of events....He may have to improvise or shelve his ideal set up, we will see.

nothing puts pressure on managers more than defeats.....I hope he can dig deep to avoid them.

• Like 1

Smith can say what he wants about Argentina surely? I mean I’m sure he’ll keep it progressional but he is well within his right to say he is not happy with how they have handled things.

Journalist aren’t going to try to blame the club because they know it’s out of the clubs hands! Fans are struggling to grasp this.

On 04/09/2021 at 16:54, TheStagMan said:

I may have missed something. Why is there a magical 50% win ratio target for Smith and where did this come from?

mythical.....I just mentioned it and it was taken by some as literal....its not magical at all.

you can create your own benchmark as to what you see as ok.

Dean got 51% Last season which was commendable....keeping that level up is the tricky bit.....if he does that this season, it will be equally commendable....but thats just my view, other folk may differ.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Smith can say what he wants about Argentina surely? I mean I’m sure he’ll keep it progressional but he is well within his right to say he is not happy with how they have handled things.

Journalist aren’t going to try to blame the club because they know it’s out of the clubs hands! Fans are struggling to grasp this.

I am not happy about it....because the club is the one that will be suffering most and its done nothing wrong.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

mythical.....I just mentioned it and it was taken by some as literal....its not magical at all.

you can create your own benchmark as to what you see as ok.

Dean got 51% Last season which was commendable....keeping that level up is the tricky bit.....if he does that this season, it will be equally commendable....but thats just my view, other folk may differ.

OK, thanks. Didn't trawl back through the pages to see where it came from. Was concerned it might have been some sort of target set for him by the club.

15 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

OK, thanks. Didn't trawl back through the pages to see where it came from. Was concerned it might have been some sort of target set for him by the club.

No, Just my take on it fwiw.

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Have I missed something? Why is there talk of replacing Dean? April 1st was months ago. 

because its a forum...where folk share views.....we might think its inappropriate, others have their own views....all views should be respected or ignored or countered with a stronger point, for consideration.

Edited by TRO

16 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I don't think the club divulge any targets like that, if in fact they have them, in that format....its more a media thing, from what I gather.

They may have some sort of measurement, they use.....most big organisations do.

We used to have appraisals annually to determine our KPI's when I was working....most big companies do.

For what it’s worth, I think the club set targets but with in certain parameters, both of which, during the course of the season will change. There are always circumstances both good and bad beyond the reasonable control of the club. Yesterday’s farce in Brazil being one of them. 

The season we got promoted, exceeded our target. The next season I believe we basically hit the ultimate target but probably too close for comfort. I’d imagine that there is an upper and lower range of what we would aim for but with caveats along the way, injuries etc. 

Basically long term Dean is doing a great job and long may that continue for his, the club’s and us fan’s sakes. I believe he and the club are growing together at a very good rate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

For what it’s worth, I think the club set targets but with in certain parameters, both of which, during the course of the season will change. There are always circumstances both good and bad beyond the reasonable control of the club. Yesterday’s farce in Brazil being one of them. 

The season we got promoted, exceeded our target. The next season I believe we basically hit the ultimate target but probably too close for comfort. I’d imagine that there is an upper and lower range of what we would aim for but with caveats along the way, injuries etc. 

Basically long term Dean is doing a great job and long may that continue for his, the club’s and us fan’s sakes. I believe he and the club are growing together at a very good rate. 

you make it sound like the owners judge the manager based on watching him every week and applying context rather than relying on tables, stats and opinions to tell them where we should be as a team...

i completely trust the set up we've got at the club, from NSWE to the tea lady, it'll be a long ride that people should at least try and enjoy

If Dean was asked about it in a presser then I'd expect a response along the lines of;

"Two of our lads were called up to represent their country in the Qualifiers. We let them go and do that as I know how much it means for a player to play for their country. It's up to the individual countries FA and FIFA to make sure rules and regulations are met in regards to the team they put out and to ensure the safety of the players travelling. We'll be sure to discuss this with the relevant people when the opportunity arises."

Edited by Dante_Lockhart
Posted without first line and post was taken as a direct quote from the club.

24 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

"Two of our lads were called up to represent their country in the Qualifiers. We let them go and do that as I know how much it means for a player to play for their country. It's up to the individual countries FA and FIFA to make sure rules and regulations are met in regards to the team they put out and to ensure the safety of the players travelling. We'll be sure to discuss this with the relevant people when the opportunity arises."

Very weak from the club. 

Â