Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Events have conspired against Smith this season, but I am sure the owners will understand this and make due allowance.

I suspect they will be happy with top 10, as would I. Any better would be a bonus, I think.

10th, + a cup run (which is obviously impacted by luck) further development of the academy and providing them the route to the 1st team showing signs of what's to come 

I think they'll be happy with him 

Also think he'll achieve it... Even if I have to count the JP trophy as the cup run 

• Like 1

When I hear the talk that's in this thread of Dean and the words sack, I just go watch The Holy Trinity Dean Smith episode. I've then forgotten about the nonsense already on VT regarding Smith and Sacking.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

When I hear the talk that's in this thread of Dean and the words sack, I just go watch The Holy Trinity Dean Smith episode. I've then forgotten about the nonsense already on VT regarding Smith and Sacking.

oh thats going to piss off some people :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

That's football.  I really hope we do well, having a Villa captain and manager has been one of the best things about supporting us in recent seasons, I'd hate to have lost both.  I suspect that NSWE and Purslow's expectations have shifted a bit since we couldn't attract that big marquee signing in midfield.  Another mid-table finish with a few of the youngsters coming through will  be the target rather than Europe.

Maybe NSWE,Smith, Lange and Purslow didn't think Midfield signing was needed just yet. I myself feel we had enough decent midfielders for now to concentrate on buying much better attackers. I kept saying last season the problem we was having was we was struggling with keeping the ball higher up the pitch, we just couldn't do it and it all landed back at our defence adding tons of stress to the defence.

Midfield will no doubt be the next area to concentrate as it is now for certain our weakest area. We can only do so much a season and not everything can always be strengthened straight away. Sometimes it's best to do abit of strength adding, play some games and then see what needs to be corrected and I feel that is what's happened here and we have money come January that can be spent in this way to add strength. Now if in January midfield shows to be our weakest I believe someone's going to get brought in. Keeper, defence, Wingers, Strikers we seem to be sorted in those areas, but at any point even though on paper midfield to us is weakest could all of a sudden change and we could become weak at any area.

I just believe that we didn't throw all the money in, spent a couple hundred mill as we could of done and played this smartly. There are reasons why we didn't spend everything available while other clubs did by the looks of it. If other clubs spent their load yet mess there season up at least we have the ability to spend and change that if we go through it.

NSWE and the ones under them like Purslow are very smart at these games and I don't think they have really put a foot wrong yet since taking over, everything seems to be always above expectation.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

oh thats going to piss off some people :D 

Exactly lol.

It's ridiculous in this thread. From the Owners to Smith and the players, we just have to trust the process and have some faith.

I certainly wont be shouting for Smith out if were in the bottom half in a spot of bother, I expect were going to not do as good and it's because I don't expect to be in europe by end of the season I can chill abit by where we end up.

I do not understand why people want to return to the days of sacking managers every season.

I think the money is being well spent, I certainly think the ideas and thinking being pulled off in games that Smith wants to happen will come on alright, maybe not for a while now because of setbacks but I think it will and we just have to be patient.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

It will be challenging, thats for sure, a good start is important to gain momentum....but so many factors have conspired against him.

Dean is certainly not a panicker, so he will address each game as it comes.....We will be ok, once we get a settled team, but a European place is a bit ambitious for me.

I concur. 

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Regardless of whether u agree with what this chap says, there is little doubt he is head and shoulders above all the other Villa bloggers/youtubers out there (that i know of).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

I managed about 1:30 of this before hitting the off button. This man seems very angry and is lashing out at all sorts of straw men he has invented to "prove" his case.

Who is he?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I managed about 1:30 of this before hitting the off button. This man seems very angry and is lashing out at all sorts of straw men he has invented to "prove" his case.

What?

5 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Who is he?

If you listened to the twenty minutes ... you might be able to judge for yourself.

• Like 2

At some stage this season we should have a well reasoned conversation about where AVFC's ceiling is and whether Dean Smith can attain that ceiling.

That time isn't now, but this season will give us a good insight into his growth as a coach, improvements in his in game management, use of squad and subs, variable tactics and team selection depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition each match, etc, etc.

If Dean hasn't got the full tool set for European qualification, then do we think he can take us far enough until we become a viable proposition for the right (available) top end manager/coach?

Dean has commendably achieved his targets up until now. He still has an important part to play, but can he take us all the way? I'll watch with interest.

so vs. Chelsea

we will have Ollie, Konsa, Martinez, Buendia all out (no idea if Doug is by international shennanigans either).

McGinn & Mings should be back

Sanson probably still not fit enough, Traore... no idea seems unlikely he'll be back yet. Bailey possibly available (which means another two months out at least).

will people be asking for Dean's head if we get spanked by the Blues?

I think we are all disappointed with the start of the season especially the Watford game, i realise that even with injuries we could have done better.

But personally i will wait till Dean has at least 80% of his squad fit to choose from before i can realistically judge how far we've progressed or gone backwards. But god only knows when that will be.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I think we are all disappointed with the start of the season especially the Watford game, i realise that even with injuries we could have done better.

But personally i will wait till Dean has at least 80% of his squad fit to choose from before i can realistically judge how far we've progressed or gone backwards. But god only knows when that will be.

We may never have a 80 % fit squad.

We could be looking at an unprecedented Liverpool situation from last season here.

Good managers find solutions and that's what Smith needs to do.

We can't keep banging on the fully fit squad thing. The table don't give a crap about our injury situation.

We need to start winning football games or we'll get dragged into a relegation dog fight and nobody wants that.

If we can come through this nightmarish next 5 games not completely battered and drained of confidence I'd be delighted. 

Edited by villalad21

3 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

At some stage this season we should have a well reasoned conversation about where AVFC's ceiling is and whether Dean Smith can attain that ceiling.

That time isn't now, but this season will give us a good insight into his growth as a coach, improvements in his in game management, use of squad and subs, variable tactics and team selection depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition each match, etc, etc.

If Dean hasn't got the full tool set for European qualification, then do we think he can take us far enough until we become a viable proposition for the right (available) top end manager/coach?

Dean has commendably achieved his targets up until now. He still has an important part to play, but can he take us all the way? I'll watch with interest.

I do think the managerial ceiling thing can be a bit overplayed though. Roberto Martinez, Arteta and Marco Silva were seen as managers with a high ceiling. Jurgen Klopp on the other hand has a relegation under his belt I wonder did people question his ceiling

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We may never have a 80 % fit squad.

We could be looking at an unprecedented Liverpool situation from last season here.

Good managers find solutions and that's what Smith needs to do.

We can't keep banging on the fully fit squad thing. The table don't give a crap about our injury situation.

We need to start winning football games or we'll get dragged into a relegation dog fight and nobody wants that.

If we can come through this nightmarish next 5 games not completely battered and drained of confidence I'd be delighted. 

We’re undefeated in 2 matches, to say we need to start winning matches, does not reflect our current situation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I do think the managerial ceiling thing can be a bit overplayed though. Roberto Martinez, Arteta and Marco Silva were seen as managers with a high ceiling. Jurgen Klopp on the other hand has a relegation under his belt I wonder did people question his ceiling

Also who are these other managers, neither Carlo or Jose were much cop with Everton and Spurs.  Carlo even bailed at the first chance he got back to RM. so much unrest and no benefit.

I think even if Dean has a bump we stick with him because he continues to progress the team over the long run.  Best manager we’ve had for decades, the happiest squad, club and fan base for ages.  We ride the highs together and if any lows come along we ride them together.  Chopping and changing managers is not a winning strategy and I don’t know why we are even discussing this about Dean at the moment after year on year success and progression since he came here.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Resist the bait.  Don't be a fish. Unless it's one associated with tits or puns.

As for Dean, he's got a real PR job on his hands coming up! 

Not sure he has any PR coming up to do.

Edited by nick76
  • Thanks 1

Â