Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

Irrespective of the circumstances IMHO if we finish below 10th I think that will be DS gone.

Unless a complete collapse and loses the dressing room I don’t think imo that Dean goes whether 6th, 10th or 16th.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I don't want to get into manager in or out as that only causes friction, but if we don't finish between 8th and 12th I think we have underachieved. 

I agree, anything below 14th is underachievement for me but that doesn’t automatically mean DS goes.  Three successful seasons so far, one low season shouldn’t mean he goes.  We are building a project. Hopefully we’ll end up much better than that.

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Unless a complete collapse and loses the dressing room I don’t think imo that Dean goes whether 6th, 10th or 16th.

Agreed,think he's here to stay so long as were a prem outfit still. Think the Owners will understand what's going on and accept the season for what it has been so far, which is unlucky happenings out of our control. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Southgate has been taking lesson from Dean's school of Substitutions. 

;)

Never been about subs, despite the emotional breakdown on this site, Dean manages the last 30 mins of games quite well as below from last season shows. Our problem is 15 mins at the start of the second half which isn’t about subs.  Whereas Southgate is just shit generally.

https://www.soccerstats.com/timing.asp?league=england_2021

62C137B9-929E-488E-95E8-67ACFC4247EF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Never been about subs, despite the emotional breakdown on this site, Dean manages the last 30 mins of games quite well as below from last season shows. Our problem is 15 mins at the start of the second half which isn’t about subs.  Whereas Southgate is just shit generally.

https://www.soccerstats.com/timing.asp?league=england_2021

62C137B9-929E-488E-95E8-67ACFC4247EF.jpeg

Thanks for sharing this, interesting stats.  I was joking by the way.

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Thanks for sharing this, interesting stats.  I was joking by the way.

Yeah I figured but I still like that table because I know a few who like to bash Smith about subs based on their feelings.

• Like 1

Interesting table @nick76 - hard to know what to make of it tbh.

I think actually it does show us being a team who perform better in the first half (+8 goals) than the second half (+1 goal), but there are a few explanations.

Firstly, it might be helpful to divide the teams up:

Dominated Both Halves

• Man City: +30 / +21

Much better in First Half

• Villa +8 / +1
  • Everton +3 / -5
  • Spurs +18 / +5
  • West Ham +11 / +4

Much better in Second Half

• Arsenal +4 / +12
  • Chelsea +3 / +29
  • Leeds -9 / +17
  • Leicester +3 / +15
  • Liverpool +8 / +18
  • Man Utd +3 / +26

Now fans of Bielsa might pin this all on in-game management, and in his case there's probably a lot of truth in that. But look at some of the other teams in that category - Solskjaer and Arteta are hardly geniuses, and yet they're both seeing significant 2nd half improvements.

What I think is actually helping most of those teams kick on in the second half is squad depth. Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester, Liverpool and Man Utd could all bring on elite gamechangers from the bench. Whereas teams like Villa, Spurs, Everton, West Ham were mostly starting their strongest 11 and then bringing on subs as fresh legs.

So yes, Villa definitely had a problem last season with second half performances, but not a lot you can do when your options are Neil Taylor and Keinan Davis.

This season we will have genuine gamechangers on the bench, and we'll learn a lot more about Smith's in-game management at this level.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

So yes, Villa definitely had a problem last season with second half performances, but not a lot you can do when your options are Neil Taylor and Keinan Davis.

I would heavily caveat that.  Our problem with second half performance though wasn’t so much with subs it was the first 15 mins after half time.  Yes we definitely needed more options on the bench to do better but a +5 in the last 15 minutes looks pretty good at Smith knowing what he’s doing at the end of the game in comparison to most teams on that list.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I would heavily caveat that.  Our problem with second half performance though wasn’t so much with subs it was the first 15 mins after half time.  Yes we definitely needed more options on the bench to do better but a +5 in the last 15 minutes looks pretty good at Smith knowing what he’s doing at the end of the game in comparison to most teams on that list.

Sure, but half time is often when a tactical shakeup happens (regardless of subs), and Smith was fairly limited in his options last season. Beyond wingers swapping wings, Grealish playing 10, or McGinn moving a bit further forward, there was rarely much he could do to change the 4-2-3-1 / 4-1-4-1 shape

Contrast with the teams with deep squads with versatile players, I think the point still stands.

This season having 2 first-team quality strikers and very versatile players like Buendia, Young and Bailey opens up a whole load of interesting tactical shifts which can be done at half time.

(In fact, this is what we saw vs Watford. I know Smith got hammered for that game, but we were *much* better in the second half.)

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Sure, but half time is often when a tactical shakeup happens (regardless of subs), and Smith was fairly limited in his options last season. Beyond wingers swapping wings, Grealish playing 10, or McGinn moving a bit further forward, there was rarely much he could do to change the 4-2-3-1 / 4-1-4-1 shape

Contrast with the teams with deep squads with versatile players, I think the point still stands.

This season having 2 first-team quality strikers and very versatile players like Buendia, Young and Bailey opens up a whole load of interesting tactical shifts which can be done at half time.

(In fact, this is what we saw vs Watford. I know Smith got hammered for that game, but we were *much* better in the second half.)

I’m not disagreeing with you but I think you missed my point completely.

31 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yep. There's no chance he gets sacked unless this season is an utter disaster. 

Yeah I’m surprised some don’t see this, Smith is fairly secure in his role whatever happens and I’m happy with that.  Unless a complete disaster he’ll be our manager next season.

Â