Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, DCJonah said:

It's not really a case of defending it. You've picked a few poor results. On the flipside you can point to a few brilliant results, but of course you wouldn't do that. 

As so many keep trying to explain, it's what midtable teams tend to do. Great results, poor results and then pretty standard what you'd expect results. 

5 wins in 19 does not point to great results, poor results. It results in a very very poor run of form.

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

5 wins in 19 does not point to great results, poor results. It results in a very very poor run of form.

Oh OK. Guess those other wins don't count. 

I find it hilarious how you and a handful of others are desperate to pretend earlier parts of the season didn't happen. Your team won, enjoy it, not try and erase it from history. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Oh OK. Guess those other wins don't count. 

I find it hilarious how you and a handful of others are desperate to pretend earlier parts of the season didn't happen. Your team won, enjoy it, not try and erase it from history. 

I wonder if Liverpool fans feel the same way. "don't worry about all the losses this season, we won lots last season".  

• Confused 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I wonder if Liverpool fans feel the same way. "don't worry about all the losses this season, we won lots last season".  

I'm talking about the same season. But yeah good one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

Speaking as a huge DS fan, and not someone prone to hyperbole or unreasonable (stupid) demands, I am honestly beginning to worry that Dean might be developing his eventual downfall, much like our previous managers, or in fact any manager.

Is it unclear what brings about José Mário dos Santos Mourinho's downfall with every club, and potentially bringing his career to a surprisingly early end? No. But let's stick with what we care about. Martin O'Neill and his lack of rotation, and therefore inability to win when the weather turned nice. Big Eck and his propensity to say 'Free hit' against any above average opposition, thus demotivating the squad and lowering standards, backed up by playing anything up to 7 defenders at once. Paul Lambert's "I thought we were excellent" despite losing at home to a fellow relegation candidate without a shot on target. Steve Bruce playing a respected, solid midfielder in central defence with calamitous results, and shoving the most talented central defender we had to right back or not bothering to use Tuanzebe at all.

There just comes a breaking point, when the manager's belief in a certain action becomes so obviously counterproductive, that even the managers themselves seem not to believe in it, but act instead out of a self-destructive habit. I really hope Dean sees his general lack of decisive action before the 80th minute as not being as proactive as he could be. I really hope that Dean finally sees constantly playing a single striker against even the most modest opposition in fact makes us quite modest opposition. I really hope all this talk; the same as we've heard for many years despite being truly terrible, of a route into the first team for the youth, finally happens, but the evidence of playing players dwindling down their contracts or about to be sent back to their parent club, despite nothing to play for but pride, suggests otherwise.

I mostly hope Dean recognises these flaws because I think having an excellent manager and world class captain who are Villa fans is something of a dream come true, and that I honestly thought Dean Smith just might be the new Ron Saunders (and still do).

1 hour ago, TRO said:

One of the best, most balanced posts, I have read on here, for some time.....Bravo, my friend.

My sentiments in a nutshell.

****ing big nutshell.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Going by some of the reactions by a few when anyone dare questions Smith or our recent poor form, then yeah, you're bang on.

Seems a sensitive subject.

Let's get serious for a change. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've personally got no problem with people 'raising questions'. There are a number of issues I myself would like to see corrected, and I believe they'll be, given more time. What I do however, have a problem with are the calls for the managers head, which are pure MADNESS, given the overall progress we've made these last few years. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Thats what speaks volumes. I haven't seen a single pundit or spoke to a neutral fan who'd think Smith is under pressure. It's 5 people on villa talk.

They probably haven't.

However, some Villa fans, or maybe the '5' you mention see that our current form is not acceptable.

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They arent calling for Klopps head anyway, Everton similar run of form under Ancelotti 6 wins since Boxing Day. Potter 5 wins in 20 another not under pressure

Funny enough the only place Smith is under pressure is this forum, most people in football think he is doing a good job

Drew with Brighton and Palace, lost to Burnley, Newcastle and Fulham in that period

• Like 1

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

They probably haven't.

However, some Villa fans, or maybe the '5' you mention see that our current form is not acceptable.

Well yeah clearly. But like I said, it speaks volumes that's its a tiny minority on a fan forum. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Well yeah clearly. But like I said, it speaks volumes that's its a tiny minority on a fan forum. 

It's a tiny minority who thinks he is doing an amazing job too, maybe just 3, that's if it's okay to single fans out, which in reality it's not!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Let's get serious for a change. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've personally got no problem with people 'raising questions'. There are a number of issues I myself would like to see corrected, and I believe they'll be, given more time. What I do however, have a problem with are the calls for the managers head, which are pure MADNESS, given the overall progress we've made these last few years. 

Absolutely.

I don't we can ignore the worrying fact that we appear too reliant on Grealish and have no plan B.

We cannot ignore the fact that our form since New Year has been shocking.

I have not seen one person call for Smith to get the sack, I've seen suggestions if a better option was to become a available in the summer then it might be a consideration etc.

I have equally seen many posters on here that point out the current negatives stating that they want to see Smith succeed and do well. We all do.

But you have to admit there is something wrong with us somewhere as we seem to have became a different team of late and it Is not making for pleasant viewing, or reading.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's a tiny minority who thinks he is doing an amazing job too, maybe just 3, that's if it's okay to single fans out, which in reality it's not!

Yeah you keep telling yourself that. 

I'm not sure I'd say he's doing an amazing job, but the progress of the club under him has been amazing, with him being a key part of it.

He's doing a good job, he's done everything we've needed and more since walking through the door. 

Single fans out? By saying a few people want him out or think he's under huge pressure?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah you keep telling yourself that. 

I'm not sure I'd say he's doing an amazing job, but the progress of the club under him has been amazing, with him being a key part of it.

He's doing a good job, he's done everything we've needed and more since walking through the door. 

Single fans out? By saying a few people want him out or think he's under huge pressure?

The progress is thanks to our fantastic owners.

Sure, Smith has done good but it's not as if he's not had the funds to do it with either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Â