Dean Smith

Demitri_C

43 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Last season it was why can’t we be more like Sheffield United. This season it’s why can’t we be more like West Ham or Leeds. 

It’s been shit since post covid but we’re still growing. Let’s see what we are like following another summer.

I think the Sheffield utd flew on by quick since they're now looking to be relegated, that thing that they do which is to not spend much caught up with them.

As for Leeds, they are on the same bit of table as us, just a couple points ahead and us with a game in hand? I'm just not sure why we would want to be like them since they had it much easier in there first season back in top flight, yet both our teams cane up in different circumstances.

West ham I could understand, they seem to be the most improved recently. They seem to be able to find something in players that everyone else has tried and failed.

On 22/04/2021 at 13:49, TRO said:

I going in to the garden....to rip some dandelions out.

I'll get my own back.

Make us all daisy chains while your there TRO please 🤣

Edited by Dave-R

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I think the Sheffield utd flew on by quick since they're now looking to be relegated, that thing that they do which is to not spend much caught up with them.

As for Leeds, they are on the same bit of table as us, just a couple points ahead and us with a game in hand? I'm just not sure why we would want to be like them since they had it much easier in there first season back in top flight, yet both our teams cane up in different circumstances.

West ham I could understand, they seem to be the most improved recently. They seem to be able to find something in players that everyone else has tried and failed.

After about 9 years of rebuilding in this league. Managers have been backed financially every season. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Worrying sign for  me. 

Without grealish there seems so much fear in this side.

That's no surprise - any team without their best player struggles, and it's especially magnified when you have a guy as good as him, as he's not surrounded by 70-80m players who can pick up the slack somewhat. 

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

After about 9 years of rebuilding in this league. Managers have been backed financially every season. 

Well I'm not down for Sacking Smith myself but the question is Vive, would you sack Smith if you knew that the next guy you bought in was a guaranteed success and continued Villa on upwards?

I think we would find we would all sack anyone if they were not bringing the goods but we knew our good fortunes laid elsewhere, just so happens that it's never guaranteed success changing managers.

If we did ever sack Smith, I would expect us to go for a world class coach, not none of this Steven Gerrard type of talk.

And that's a no to the recently Sacked Jose Mourinhio, he's not the same gaffer he used to be.

Edited by Dave-R

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

That's no surprise - any team without their best player struggles, and it's especially magnified when you have a guy as good as him, as he's not surrounded by 70-80m players who can pick up the slack somewhat. 

Need more influential, ability/technical and controlling players who have affect on games, we are filled with players who can not change games, we need to change this.

Edited by Dave-R

Just now, Dave-R said:

Need more influential, abilityand controlling players who have affect on games, we are filled with players who can not change games, we need to change this.

Of course, but those players are sought after by everyone - we've only just got to the point where we can get them in tbf. I'm looking forward to this summer, as we can start adding the flair, guile etc. that we need with our signings. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Well I'm not down for Sacking Smith myself but the question is Vive, would you sack Smith if you knew that the next guy you bought in was a guaranteed success and continued Villa on upwards?

I think we would find we would all sack anyone if they were not bringing the goods but we knew our good fortunes laid elsewhere, just so happens that it's never guaranteed success changing managers.

If we did ever sack Smith, I would expect us to go for a world class coach, not none of this Steven Gerrard type of talk.

And that's a no to the recently Sacked Jose Mourinhio, he's not the same gaffer he used to be.

I’d back the owners and Purslow if they felt it was time to make changes to the coaching setup. I just don’t think Smith has done enough wrong to justify a change. We’re on course for our best season since the MON days. He deserves to continue the rebuild in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Of course, but those players are sought after by everyone - we've only just got to the point where we can get them in tbf. I'm looking forward to this summer, as we can start adding the flair, guile etc. that we need with our signings. 

Hopefully this summer we will see the additions of what were talking about, we so desperately need some players who can do that.

It's okay having your defence and keepers who do there job, but we need the rest that goes with them. We have Watkins, we know he came scored done an amazing job this season but just imagine what it would be like for the lad if he could be properly serviced. Imagine what our defence would be like if they could rely on the midfield three in front of them.

Yes City are ace this season but they highlighted big to us fans and hopefully management what is needed this summer, which is a massive spend on new midfielders and Wingers.

This is where we all go nuts because as Villa fans we never seem to get what we want, so if we wish for Wingers and Midfielders for summer we will possibly get Rightbacks and keepers lol.

I do so wish this season was done now and the Summer market was open.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d back the owners and Purslow if they felt it was time to make changes to the coaching setup. I just don’t think Smith has done enough wrong to justify a change. We’re on course for our best season since the MON days. He deserves to continue the rebuild in my opinion. 

I don't either mate.

I feel as though we've survived, we have done far better than any of us predicted. To what you said how people are wishing we were more like teams, i feel it's for that reason that they maybe wishing Smith out and wanting someone better in. Yet you can't do that, as you have to look at us compared to them and see how our path is different. The way we are improving is very different,the way we are changing is very different, we are on a complete different path to most if not all the other teams in this league.

Unless there were opportunity to bring in a world class coach, I do not think we would prematurely sack Smith. As you say he's not done anywhere near enough wrong to be given the shiny black boot up the arse.

Next season maybe different, the Owners may decide to throw more money into the signing pot, yet they may decide to tell Smith also that this is the season we need to see more results and be much better and more improved over this season. If Smith uses all the money up and changes the team for the better next season and we do have at least one or three players besides Grealish who can inflict damage on teams, then I'm sure everyone will feel as though we have won a major battle. 

I think it's mainly because Jack is out, were losing, were looking completely unintellectual up front with a complete lack of ideas to create Goals. Were also looking largely like we did last season minus all those goals we leaked. While I understand people's view and frustrating words, I also realise that this is caused by our players not being able to see games out, make things in games happen or make those games turn into points. Depth has got to us, having players who sent geared for this league has gotten to us and if we don't rectify thiswe will struggle next season even more than ever are since Covid. If we start next season like what we have after our Covid scare I fear Smith will be sacked. Smith next season needs a strong out of the block start.

18 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's logical to build from the back tbf - we went about things the right way IMO

Some managers have said so long as you have your striker, defence and keeper sorted, you can work on the rest later.

53 minutes ago, lexicon said:

How long are people going to keep beating this drum.. 

We have 24 other players ffs!.. if the manager can't get a tune out the rest of them and relies so heavily on one player then there is something drastically wrong.

We are not a one man team!   What happens if Jack is sold? What's the excuse going to be then??

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We have 24 other players ffs!.. if the manager can't get a tune out the rest of them and relies so heavily on one player then there is something drastically wrong.

We are not a one man team!   What happens if Jack is sold? What's the excuse going to be then??

can't speak for everyone else, but i'm happy to keep beating that drum until next season. after another summer of heavy investment, no more excuses.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yeah second season back, a solid defence, a really good striker and then a world class attacker in Grealish that we heavily rely on.  Yeah I'm ok banging on that drum for the rest of the season.  If we buy quality in the summer to fill the attacking gaps then of course my tune will change next season but second season up, mid table finish of 9th to 11th, while not as good as it could've been, it is better than what I thought we would've got at the start of the season in my prediction of final placings.

So i'm banging that drum, we are a one-man attacking/creative team but a very good defence team.

drummer muppets GIF

Our form is concerning at the moment and any of the theories that get floated could well be the cause of it, but it is somewhat funny to note that there's a vocal enough consensus that Smith isn't of the requisite level to have us challenging for Europe, and indeed should have had us doing so this season, despite at varying points according to their threads on here none of Mings, Cash, Barkley, McGinn, Luiz, Sanson, Nakamba, Ramsey, Traore, El Ghazi, Trezeguet and possibly more being good enough to play in a team doing so.

The two don't really go together like.

1 hour ago, striker said:

I felt totally sick for Villa fans after watching Smith give Pep an admiring glance and hug at the end of the game.

Smith then followed that one up by stating in the post match interview that Citeh had far better technical players!

If that had been Saunders, Clough, Ferguson, Moyes, or any other hardline manager they would have barely shaken Pep’s hand before going into the dressing room and given Villa’s players the hairdryer treatment. Then that type of manager would have faced the media and informed them that he had words with the players as that second half performance was totally unacceptable.

He certainly would not have implied the Citeh players were better players. Think of how that statement is going to affect the Villa players when they face Man City next season. Villa already have a long history of inferiority complex against the top six teams, in particular, Man U. Due to that statement by Smith, that inferiority complex, will be exacerbated next season again. In fact the players could react to defeat as acceptable before going onto the pitch ‘because the boss said they are better than us.’

I’m afraid Smith has now lost me due to his approach. Probably offered to clean Foden’s boots as well as shining Pep’s head.

No manager should accept defeat with a smile then run his players down in the media. Your either going to enhance that inferiority complex or give the players an excuse for defeat.

Smith has done well with Villa to get you promoted and then survival in the Premiership. However, If Villa are to challenge the top six next season you will need a winning mentality manager who will instil those qualities into the players.

Smith isn’t it!

Smith isn't a winner. 

Has openly said he's not a results man 

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

vocal enough consensus that Smith isn't of the requisite level to have us challenging for Europe

I think a vocal minority to be fair.  Some have never liked from the start and some have been unhappy enough since the covid shutdown in mid January to think of change.

The majority arent happy with the current form but put it down to various reasons and hope Smith and the players turn it around.  Some fans will give that less time and move into the above category quicker and others will wait until after a summer spend and early into the new season.

8 minutes ago, Indigo said:

despite at varying points according to their threads on here none of Mings, Cash, Barkley, McGinn, Luiz, Sanson, Nakamba, Ramsey, Traore, El Ghazi, Trezeguet and possibly more being good enough to play in a team doing so.

yeah, our midfield has been bashed on here a lot and our creative or direct attacking players like Traore, Barkley, El Ghazi and Trez have been slaughtered but some fans then dont understand why we are struggling and that we are a one-man attacking/creative team in Jack.  Very bizarre!

• Like 3

Â