Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Assuming Smith hasn’t changed anything, then it has to be down to form, they are the same players.  Smith hasn’t suddenly changed his way of playing.  We are just struggling with form, energy and confidence at the moment and that makes players more subconsciously hesitant.  One point that highlighted for me yesterday was Davis, he stopped and then restarted after that one ball yesterday close to the throw line but Man City did and thus got the ball.

Smith does have to fix it, the players need to fix it but we know it’s there because as you say we’ve seen it in the first half of season. 

Frank Lampard, didn't either.....That could be the problem, maybe they both needed to.

Maybe Dean needs to rattle a few.

just speculating of course.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

You have an amazing capacity, for missing the point, on a fairly regular basis.

Not really. I just don't see the big deal about losing 2-1 against one of the best teams in the world - especially when we did a lot better than last time we faced them at VP. 

I just think you like complaining about things, to be honest. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, TRO said:

Frank Lampard, didn't either.....That could be the problem, maybe they both needed to.

Maybe Dean needs to rattle a few.

just speculating of course.

Yeah I agree plus replace a few like Barkley and upgrade on Traore

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Not really. I just don't see the big deal about losing 2-1 against one of the best teams in the world - especially when we did a lot better than last time we faced them at VP. 

bet you was happy to lose to Sheff Utd too...or was that just one of those days, or did your rose tints need cleaning?

when its worth complaining about yeah.....I think our poor perfomances in the middle of the park are worthy of discussion or a good moan yeah.

You know fine well, its not JUST about yesterdays game, I have made it quite clear, other lesser teams, we have displayed similar traits of not keeping the ball.....so don't hide behind Man City's undouted talent....thats the strawman argument.

My central issue, is about not keeping the ball and passing the ball, well enough to complete the season on a respectable footing....Man City are one of many teams recently to highlight how bad we are at it.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

bet you was happy to lose to Sheff Utd too...or was that just one of those days, or did your rose tints need cleaning?

when its worth complaining about yeah.....I think our poor perfomances in the middle of the park are worthy of discussion or a good moan yeah.

You know fine well, its not JUST about yesterdays game, I have made it quite clear, other lesser teams, we have displayed similar traits of not keeping the ball.....so don't hide behind Man City's undouted talent....thats the strawman argument.

My central issue, is about not keeping the ball and passing the ball, well enough to complete the season on a respectable footing....Man City are one of many teams recently to highlight how bad we are at it.

Err, no? Where did you get that idea from?

Can you not tell the difference between Sheffield United and Man City as opponents? 

In the context of the last decade or so, I don't think there's anything really worth moaning about because there are legitimate and pertinent reasons for our current shortcomings and I 100% believe that they will be addressed in the summer - until then, there's not a lot that can be done about it. It all comes down to the fact that we don't have the squad depth that we need, yet - it's clear as day. It can't be impacted until the summer. If you want to play in a certain style, you need the players to do it - you don't just say 'here lads, just keep the ball and pass it a bit better' - it doesn't work like that.

You'd think that after however many decades of watching football that you'd have realised that things aren't as simple as you're suggesting. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nick76 said:

I honestly don’t know.  Everybody knows I’m not a big fan of Davis but as I’ve said since the Fulham game, give him a go upfront with Ollie.  Drop Traore because he’s been awful and lazy recently.  Barkley has been poor.  So it’s just the midfielders rotating hoping something clicks because we have no creative outlet without Jack as Traore and Barkley are poor.

The only other thing I can think of (but I don’t want to change the defence) is go 352 bringing in Hause into defence and then freeing up Targett and Cash to bomb down the wings and be our creative players with Ollie and Davis upfront.  Then McGinn, Luiz, Sanson, Ramsey vying for the three midfield spots.  Do this until Jack is back, if he comes back this season.

This impacts a good defence but we may have to do it to get more creative in, via our wingbacks crossing into two upfront.

Thats all I can think of.  How about you? Excluding using the kids

I'd agree with with your approach.

Maybe try and start Traore or Barkley in a central role.

I thought Barkley looked a bit better yesterday. He can do a job going forward as long as he isn't expected to track back (which is farce really for a modern footballer). We need some quality on the ball and to keep possession.

I can't see Dean changing the formation and tactics though.

14 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Spent the last couple of weeks not bothering on here, see the same arguments so probably won't bother again for another couple of weeks. 

Just one note amongst the many valid points though, if I see one more post about how Smith should be doing better because we spent £200m, I may be forced to do a long post about how wrong that point is. 

Smith should be doing better because we spent £200 million

Leeds play better with worse players

etc.

i don't believe those two statements either

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I'd agree with with your approach.

Maybe try and start Traore or Barkley in a central role.

I thought Barkley looked a bit better yesterday. He can do a job going forward as long as he isn't expected to track back (which is farce really for a modern footballer). We need some quality on the ball and to keep possession.

I can't see Dean changing the formation and tactics though.

Me either but Barkley and Traore have been woeful.  We have three creative players in Jack, Barkley and Traore.  With Jack out I was hoping one of the other two would step up but they haven’t.  It’s one of the reasons we are so blunt going forwards.  I don’t expect Sanson, Luiz, McGinn or Ramsey to be the creators really, that should come from our CAM or wingers but Barkley and Traore have let us down.

Barkley I have given up on.  Traore, I like to give players coming in from abroad time to settle but I just don’t see enough in his game for this level.  He has a few great little tricks and moves but he just doesn’t create anything and he’s so bloody lazy, he seems to add nothing on note for us going forwards that is either consistent or defenders are overly worried about.  Feels like one of those kids at school that can do a thousand keepy uppies and do twenty step overs and would look great on YouTube training clips but in a top game doesn’t deliver.  You see it once in every twenty games.  I’m still holding back but it just feels like won’t change, I hope I’m wrong with him.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Err, no? Where did you get that idea from?

Can you not tell the difference between Sheffield United and Man City as opponents

In the context of the last decade or so, I don't think there's anything really worth moaning about because there are legitimate and pertinent reasons for our current shortcomings and I 100% believe that they will be addressed in the summer - until then, there's not a lot that can be done about it. It all comes down to the fact that we don't have the squad depth that we need, yet - it's clear as day. It can't be impacted until the summer. If you want to play in a certain style, you need the players to do it - you don't just say 'here lads, just keep the ball and pass it a bit better' - it doesn't work like that.

You'd think that after however many decades of watching football that you'd have realised that things aren't as simple as you're suggesting. 

but I think your point is flawed.

We was ok early season, same players, same manager....has the mentality shifted?  just asking.....something has changed are we so reliant on Jack, does our belief dissipate when he is out, or has complaceny of 44 points crept in.....I don't know the answer, but what I do know as my eyes tell me, we are a shadow of the team we was early season.

Of course there's a difference in quality between the 2 teams, highlighted, don'y insult my intelligence....the point you are failing to grasp is, us......we were showing our failings against both.

John McGinn himself has admitted we didn't go after Man City enough, its there to see in all our games lately, not just the convenience of Man Cityto protect your stance......you just fail to admit it or can't see it, not sure which.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Me either but Barkley and Traore have been woeful.  We have three creative players in Jack, Barkley and Traore.  With Jack out I was hoping one of the other two would step up but they haven’t.  It’s one of the reasons we are so blunt going forwards.  I don’t expect Sanson, Luiz, McGinn or Ramsey to be the creators really, that should come from our CAM or wingers but Barkley and Traore have let us down.

Barkley I have given up on.  Traore, I like to give players coming in from abroad time to settle but I just don’t see enough in his game for this level.  He has a few great little tricks and moves but he just doesn’t create anything and he’s so bloody lazy, he seems to add nothing on note for us going forwards that is either consistent or defenders are overly worried about.  Feels like one of those kids at school that can do a thousand keepy uppies and do twenty step overs and would look great on YouTube training clips but in a top game doesn’t deliver.  You see it once in every twenty games.  I’m still holding back but it just feels like won’t change, I hope I’m wrong with him.

Yep I'm not happy with Traore or Barkley, but with Sanson injured also not sure where else we can get a bit of possession from.

Nakamba and Ramsey are clearly not the answer.

It's academic anyway as Dean might start Anwar or Ross instead vs the baggies but that's about as exciting a change as we'll see.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, lexicon said:

Sure City are ace yet I see a big deal, we quickly slipped one in against them, we had them rocked for twenty mins and we let them gather to much instead of keeping our heads in the game. We sat back and acted like we could handle them instead of running out of the trenches and giving them what for. Then they had a red card, we should of sized the moment there, did we heck. We then had one of our players do exactly the same and the moment he did that it signalled that we just have up any possibility of a comeback. There were many frustrating moments about the City game.

I think if we had of had the ass kicking team that played earlier in the season we would of won them.

There is alot of noticeable cons compared to our games earlier in the season. For one we seem to have stopped intercepting. It has come down to pretty much zilch and we have gone from a side gaining the ball out of taking the ball from opposition to a side waiting to gain the ball out of mistakes.

If it was one thing opposition found tough to deal with from us earlier in the season was that we were blood hounds and intercepted fast and relentlessly, we are no where near that now.

Blood hounds first half of the season to the lazy hunter waiting for its Prey, one worked for us and one didn't. We should be Bloodhounds because the speed in which we played it worked for us and we stressed the opposition out way much more because they couldn't gather themselves quick enough. Man city game you could see how easy it was for them to pass it about,they knew we wernt coming to try intercept them, so they could string a phenomenal amount of passes together without stress. If we had of gone at them we would of forced them back at least, but we just let them surround us and work us till they found something. In fact yesterday game made me think of how we were last year.

Why has the City game had us looking like a relegation fighting team? Have we had a really lucky season because if we have then unless we really pump money into the situation, we will struggle next season.

11 hours ago, TRO said:

but I think your point is flawed.

We was ok early season, same players, same manager....has the mentality shifted?  just asking.....something has changed are we so reliant on Jack, does our belief dissipate when he is out, or has complaceny of 44 points crept in.....I don't know the answer, but what I do know as my eyes tell me, we are a shadow of the team we was early season.

Of course there's a difference in quality between the 2 teams, highlighted, don'y insult my intelligence....the point you are failing to grasp is, us......we were showing our failings against both.

John McGinn himself has admitted we didn't go after Man City enough, its there to see in all our games lately, not just the convenience of Man Cityto protect your stance......you just fail to admit it or can't see it, not sure which.

I think Mcginn is a bit easy of the situation myself if I were to say something to the lad, it would be Mcginn Villa just didn't go after City at all. Did to much letting City have fun.

I'd also say Mcginn, where is the ruthless Mcginn I came to love, the player who would find that ball somehow and make something out of it after they have kept it for a while.

I'd also say Mcginn don't worry, you are not the only player I feel that about, many of our players recently have forgot how to chase a ball down and make sure they cover there angle, support one and other and retrieve the ball and keep it.

You can certainly see the change in our team TRO. As I said in another post, we have gone from bloodhounds, sniffing out and fetching our prey to Hunters sitting in a tower waiting for our prey to come near us. Were waiting for the easy game and football is no easy game, go get the ball and do something with it. However you look at it were not exciting to watch at the moment and City was a bore to watch because we're not doing what we have done most of the season which is go after the ball, get the ball, keep the ball, do something with the ball.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Sterling de bruyne and aguero didnt play either. And city had a player sent off. Im not a fan of leeds but you cabt dismiss that win. It was inpressive3.

They showed charchter.  We should we were cowards yet again and didnt want to take the game to them

I have to agree we approached the game like cowards after the opening 5mins. So passive, looked scared to get near them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I have to agree we approached the game like cowards after the opening 5mins. So passive, looked scared to get near them. 

Worrying sign for  me. 

Without grealish there seems so much fear in this side.

Last season it was why can’t we be more like Sheffield United. This season it’s why can’t we be more like West Ham or Leeds. 

It’s been shit since post covid but we’re still growing. Let’s see what we are like following another summer.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Last season it was why can’t we be more like Sheffield United. This season it’s why can’t we be more like West Ham or Leeds. 

It’s been shit since post covid but we’re still growing. Let’s see what we are like following another summer.

Thing is for me, nearly all teams haven't played very well for large periods. Sides that are much further down their development scale, much more experienced sides. 

Everton have been poor for large parts. Arsenal have been. Tottenham have. Liverpool have. Wolves have. West hams defence has been bloody awul in recent weeks and if they carry on defending that way, there is absolutely no chance of finishing 4th. 6th very, very best. Leeds have had some terrible results this season. 

Do we think all that sides are looking to sack their managers? Only us? (Apart from the obvious) thought so.

• Like 2

Â