Dean Smith

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Klopp plays the same system everyweek for 15 years. Even now Liverpool are struggling he hasnt changed it up once. 

Pep Guardiola has a team of 50 million pound players  but he usually plays the same system he just tweaks Sterling for Mahrez or Foden for Bernardo at times. They still play the same way

What would Dean Smith plan B be? Lumping it to Keinan Davis, maybe putting on a No. 10 for a more orthodox midfielder because he did both of them yesterday 

So thats a ' Style of play ', not a ' plan '.

If a manager only ever has 1 plan, for every opponent, I would suggest they are a shit manager.

It's only a match or two ago that Deano changed the system, and it worked (Leeds ). I'd suggest not again changing that system again against Sheffield might have partially been responsible for the result. ( Players mostly to blame mind) Lol

The higher the quality of the players, and the higher their understanding and cohesion of ' Plan A ' is, the more effective it will be against the majority of opponents. Hence not needing to be changed much.

However, I'm certain there have been times where even the best teams have had to resort to a ' plan B ' or C. Due to the opposition either being well drilled on their plan, or the personell simply not being effective against that particular opposition on that day, Or a particular team which has players where that ' plan ' actually gives them an advantage etc. Multitude of variables.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 minutes ago, useless said:

We've changed style of play, tactics, and formations a number of times while Smith has been manager. It's what saved us from relegation last season.

It's why I wouldn't say Dean only has one plan.

He might just be a bit more stubborn with his preferred plan/personell, as most managers are.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's only a match or two ago that Deano changed the system, and it worked (Leeds ). I'd suggest not again changing that system again against Sheffield might have partially been responsible for the result. ( Players mostly to blame mind) Lol

The problem is if you keep changing the system/plan every game, you never get any consistency, and players start to get pissed off.

Tuchel is getting praise at the moment for all his constant tweaks, his subbing of subs etc. We'll see how long that lasts; if they hit a bad run, the players wont be taking his side...

Its a fine line to walk for a manager

• Like 2

Just now, andym said:

The problem is if you keep changing the system/plan every game, you never get any consistency, and players start to get pissed off.

Tuchel is getting praise at the moment for all his constant tweaks, his subbing of subs etc. We'll see how long that lasts; if they hit a bad run, the players wont be taking his side...

Also true mate.

We also have a very limited option of players to use to change the plan/tactic/style. We don't have a top half squad even thou out starting 11 might be top half on our good days.

Just look at our bench options on any given night. The best we can put on is fresh legs (which should not be dismissed as it does help a lot). We don't have the players to transform our fortunes yet.

We are a work in progress who are doing better than expected this season. everyone should get that, but it also doesn't mean any critique should be dismissed as just complaining or being unrealistic and ungrateful.

Can't really be 'over critical' of DS given the immense improvement of our team in the time that he's been here. Some of our fans have very short memories.

Not only are we the youngest team in the division but we have one of the best defences in the league just 12 months after being one of the worst. That in itself is remarkable! 

If we can recruit in the summer 2 or 3 quality players then I firmly believe that we will be as good as, if not better than what Leicester are at present. I have complete faith in our owners, recruitment team and coaching staf that we will be strongly competing for European places year after year! 

I urge all Villa fans to remain patient for just a little whle longer. We ARE getting there and we WILL get there! 

Massively proud of our improvement!

Wear the shirt with 'pride' 

UTV

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, andym said:

To be fair to Tuchel he's only been at Chelsea a couple of weeks so it's understandable that he's experimenting to find the right balance and personnel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm not sure why you say this with such confidence if I'm honest.

It's easier to stick to ' Plan A ' when your whole bench is ' Plan A ' quality.

I'm sure I saw an interview with Pep when he was talking about finding different ways to break different teams down.

Saying that's what they wanted to do this season.

That indicates multiple ' plans', even if it's just a tweak.

Suggesting top managers don't gave different plans is frankly bizarre IMO.

Some might just be more stubborn with ' A ', like Mourinho. He finally changed that last match and look at the result.

I know what you’re saying but perhaps it’s more plan A1 or plan A2 rather than plan B. Pepe is always going to be a high possession manager. He may start a game with a very detailed plan of how to use the players he’s picked and will tweak that plan to accommodate any changes he makes from the bench. 

The great advantage he has is that there is very little change in quality of player when he makes those changes. He might take off Foden and bring on Sterling. We just don’t have that luxury I’m afraid. Neither does anyone else to be fair. 

Edit: Some teams have decent choices off the bench but probably not as good as the embarrassment of riches that Pepe has. The difference between our starters, (or alternative starters) and our bench is pretty extreme  

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

I think overall we have shown really good progress this season and with 40 points in the bag we should be back in the premier league again next season. 

We clearly have gaps in the squad where we have poor strength in depth and I'm sure it will be something that Smith will look to sort out as much as he can in the summer.

If someone had said at the start of the season Villa would be (unless something extraordinary happens) safe with 12 games left I expect most of us would have gladly accepted that.

Looking to the rest of the season I can see it being a bumpy ride to be honest. Our final dozen games includes matches against Everton x 2, Spurs x 2, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U and Man City so I think any talk of Europe is unrealistic and mid-table would be a success after that lot!

Personally I back Smith but I can see us struggling more (relative to our earlier season form) for the rest of the season. 

If we can continue to beat the teams below us and upset / be competititive against the teams above that'e enough for me (for now). 

UTV.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He isn't above criticism. What tends to detract from your point, is that it's usually the same posters who have been criticising from day 1. 

You could moan that we didn't beat sheff u and wolves. That would see us sitting 2 pts off the champions league with a game in hand. 

The criticism has to match some sort of realistic expectation. Otherwise they tend to just look like moans for the sake of it. 

I dont think you can critise anyone for not expecting to beat sheffield United with ten men DC. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Who is this quality? We hit the bar twice without Grealish and El Ghazi. Our 2nd sub was Keinan Davis FFS

Traore barkley trez all can score goals and thats without even mentioning watkins.

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Yep. But show me a team in the league who hasn't had a terrible result this year.

It happens. 

Show me a team thia season who couldnt beat the bottkm team who had ten men then on that basis!

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Show me a team thia season who couldnt beat the bottkm team who had ten men then on that basis!

If that was the only time people complained I'd listen to you. 

This thread went into meltdown when we beat Southampton. So sorry, I'm not buying it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I think overall we have shown really good progress this season and with 40 points in the bag we should be back in the premier league again next season. 

We clearly have gaps in the squad where we have poor strength in depth and I'm sure it will be something that Smith will look to sort out as much as he can in the summer.

If someone had said at the start of the season Villa would be (unless something extraordinary happens) safe with 12 games left I expect most of us would have gladly accepted that.

Looking to the rest of the season I can see it being a bumpy ride to be honest. Our final dozen games includes matches against Everton x 2, Spurs x 2, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U and Man City so I think any talk of Europe is unrealistic and mid-table would be a success after that lot!

Personally I back Smith but I can see us struggling more (relative to our earlier season form) for the rest of the season. 

If we can continue to beat the teams below us and upset / be competititive against the teams above that'e enough for me (for now). 

UTV.

To be fair, we’ve actually played some of our best football against the biggest teams and took valuable points, and apart from Man City the rest are beatable.  

We are in poor form at the moment but we are mixing it up points wise with half of those teams.  Form can change and if we click back to form like we did when Jack came back in the Championship season then who knows because we have quality.  Our defence is rock solid so we aren’t asking for that much difference in that our offence start clicking again.

Who knows but you shouldn’t write us off taking some big scalps just yet, just as I wouldn’t write off losing to some poor teams.  Form is temporary and I don’t expect our current poor form to continue for the rest of the season.  

Hopefully Jacks return will spark a run and we know we can match most on the pitch when we are flying like the early season showed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Traore barkley trez all can score goals and thats without even mentioning watkins.

They all played yesterday, its hardly on Smith they didnt contribute much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

It was an incredibly disappointing result but we beat Liverpool 7-2 when they were flying and VVD and Gomez was still in their defence.  Show me a team this season who could beat Liverpool back then who would’ve beaten them by that score and that score line didn’t flatter us.  Even Man City would struggle to beat that Liverpool team by that score line and they are flying.

Strange results happen, we’ve had a few bad ones especially against 10 man teams but we’ve also had some real quality results this season.  We are just having a bit of bad form at the moment like all teams do.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

Â