Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Or for successful club managers who are getting on a bit but don't want the day to day rigmarole of having to be at the training ground and put in all the effort of club management.

That's true - either way, not for managers with real ambition IMO.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Trawl back? No not really. I can clearly remember. And if you think that's the only time the usual posters have criticised Dean Smith then I can see why you've chosen to ignore the point. 

There's a difference between expressing nervousness and frustration, and then claiming the manager was wrong, even though we've won the game. 

I can tolerate a range of reactions. There are many posters who share different opinions that I enjoy reading. It's the ones that moan and criticise no matter what that I choose to respond to. Or the idea that if Dean Smith did what VT demanded we'd be better off in the league. 

Interesting. When I read the post-match reactions it reminds me of the experience of being in a crowd at a match. There is a wide range of opinions, some witty, some thought-provoking, some a bit knee-jerk and emotional. I’m not sure you would go round a football crowd responding to everyone who was expressing an opinion you didn’t think was very well-founded? (Maybe you would! 😮) More likely just smile tolerantly and ignore them. That seems to be the better strategy on a site like this as well. Otherwise it’s possible to get very wound up.

I do just worry that there is sometimes an underlying theme in this thread that it is not acceptable to criticise Dean Smith because that is to “disrespect” him. I don't know Dean Smith but from what I’ve observed I’m guessing the wouldn’t be too bothered about this and would be happy for people to express whatever opinions they like. So maybe people on VT shouldn’t be too bothered about criticism of the manager either? 

• Confused 2

20 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Interesting. When I read the post-match reactions it reminds me of the experience of being in a crowd at a match. There is a wide range of opinions, some witty, some thought-provoking, some a bit knee-jerk and emotional. I’m not sure you would go round a football crowd responding to everyone who was expressing an opinion you didn’t think was very well-founded? (Maybe you would! 😮) More likely just smile tolerantly and ignore them. That seems to be the better strategy on a site like this as well. Otherwise it’s possible to get very wound up.

I do just worry that there is sometimes an underlying theme in this thread that it is not acceptable to criticise Dean Smith because that is to “disrespect” him. I don't know Dean Smith but from what I’ve observed I’m guessing the wouldn’t be too bothered about this and would be happy for people to express whatever opinions they like. So maybe people on VT shouldn’t be too bothered about criticism of the manager either? 

Glad for you that this is your view but it’s very condescending when a few of us have given our view.  

The bit in bold is the opposite of what a number of us have been talking about that there seems an underlying theme in this thread and some other threads that rather than constructive criticism of Smith that some constantly negatively look to criticise Smith over and over again.  When we are flying they still find negativity and when we have some bad form it gets worse.

Constructive criticism is always welcome, negativity for the sake of negativity isn’t and while you claim to not see it, many of us do and are calling it out.  

Ignore them, we try but they dominate some discussions.  

While you don’t seem to agree for whatever reason it’s how some of us feel.

There's such a strange trend on here at the moment where people think they're "not allowed" to have an opinion just because people have the temerity to disagree with them.

There's a small but vocal minority who throw out words like "clueless" and "muppet" directed at Smith, I'm sure most of us disagree with that but when people call it out there's an oddly defensive reaction from people who haven't said such acting like they're being silenced if they try to offer constructive criticism. It was a real thing with Mings for a while until he shut people up but now seems to be shifting all over the place.🥴

• Like 4

Smith gets a raw deal online. It's very strange.

The idea we should try to progress every year is a good aim. To have it as a minimum expectation is silly, and only properly held by people who have no comprehension. Do you not see how that's impossible? You know other clubs are trying to win football matches as well? What happens when we win the league and Champions League in the same season? How do we improve? Regardless, we could achieve that and trolls who laughed we wouldn't get promoted would still say ah well we need a top manager to retain them both.

City are going to win about 50% of available trophies for the next 10 years. Won't leave much for anyone else.

We aren't going to win every game, I want to enjoy watching us. I do.

We aren't going to play well every game. So when that happens, I'd like to see some effort from the lads. I do.

Never been bothered about it too much, even with Tim in charge, but looking around the football landscape, it's quite nice to have a manager who isn't is a huge prick.

I'd have replaced Smith last summer, but he's done a brilliant job this season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Indigo said:

There's such a strange trend on here at the moment where people think they're "not allowed" to have an opinion just because people have the temerity to disagree with them.

There's a small but vocal minority who throw out words like "clueless" and "muppet" directed at Smith, I'm sure most of us disagree with that but when people call it out there's an oddly defensive reaction from people who haven't said such acting like they're being silenced if they try to offer constructive criticism. It was a real thing with Mings for a while until he shut people up but now seems to be shifting all over the place.🥴

In fairness i’m not sure I see that much constructive or considered criticism knocking about.

I see last year’s poster boy has been sacked.    Wilder did a great job last season, but I’ve never seen certain Villa fans cream themselves so much over another teams manager. He was used as a stick to beat Smith with throughout last season. 

Sometimes you just have to be patient. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see last year’s poster boy has been sacked.    Wilder did a great job last season, but I’ve never seen certain Villa fans cream themselves so much over another teams manager. He was used as a stick to beat Smith with throughout last season. 

Sometimes you just have to be patient. 

Sheffield United would be stupid to sack him tbf - much better off sticking with him in the championship next season. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Sheffield United would be stupid to sack him tbf - much better off sticking with him in the championship next season. 

Yes its a mistake to sack him. Overall hes done well there. Shef United have never really  been a top flight club since the Tony Currie days 

Â