Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

John Terry retired 2 years ago and is currently a coach at a Premier League club. Roy Keane retired 16 years ago and is no longer involved in football for a reason. Graeme Souness retired 30 something years ago and hasnt been involved in football in 15 years as a coach or a manager. Not one club ever contacted him when other shit managers pick up jobs regularly

ridiculous comparison

Oh, so Graeme Souness has been living on a desert island with a broken TV for 30 Years.....no contact with the football world, no conversations, no debates, just kicking sand......you just couldn't make it up.

The comparison, just in case you failed to keep up, was based on managers, when great captains of sides was mentioned by me, they said but they wasn't managers....was the line.

Jesus, I'll bet Frank don't know the game either...but he can come on SKY to give his pennyworth, oh hold on, he hasn't won anything, so he can't, no one will listen.

No its only ridiculous, when the it doesn't fit your narrative.

My final line on this is......All these people Pundits, ex players, managers, all know the game.....the know the old game and they know the new game.......whether we share their opinions is our call.....but they know the game.

Dean Smith to his credit, seen enough in the West Ham game, to make the adjustments, for us to play the way we did in the Arsenal Game.

He has to take huge credit for such a turn around....and his insight to see where the change in approach needed to be to get 3 points.

The style was secondary on the day and result first......albeit the touches from Traore, was a delight to any fan of the beautiful game.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I simply don't accept that....you must have a pretty low opinion of the watching public to not see through that.

if it were so, it would soon become prevalent with the amount of research and feedback they do....He is no better or worse than some of the younger pundits.

The watching public is the thing here though TRO. People have changed the way they watch football. They're are people who watch only highlights, get their opinions through twitter, reddit, instagram, facebook etc. I deduce from your posts that you don't do this. Sky target these people through those mediums because the numbers of people subscribing to Sky is falling steadily over the last few years. For this strategy, pundits like Souness and Keane are perfect. They provide the witty comments, soundbites, sometimes fits of rage, enabling Sky to post it to social media to promote their product.

Some of the best pundits on Sky are the unemployed managers e.g. when Benitez or Mourinho are there from the analysis point of view. Their regular pundits are pretty poor when compared to these. If Pep was to do a game, he would wipe the floor with those two for understanding of the game. Deano would too - just to try and get this back on topic in some way.

Edited by sparrow1988

6 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

But his job isn’t to know the game. His job is to provide a name and familiar face. Sky, or any other PL broadcaster that I’m aware of, aren’t actually interested in providing quality content. Their remit isn’t, and has never been, to make football fans smarter. They aren’t a public service provider. They’re a for-profit entertainment platform. Bread, circus and name recognition ftw. 

I’m not sure it’s a lack of ability that makes Souness outdated. I think it’s a lack of curiosity and imagination, and indeed a lack of direction from the people that keep him employed as a pundit. Again, past playing ability doesn’t necessarily correlate with current analytical ability. Past tenacity on the pitch doesn’t necessarily correlate with current work ethic off it. Listening to 90 per cent of ex-player pundits gives me no added value what so ever. Listening to Jonathon Wilson or Michael Cox makes me smarter, every single time.  

We're off Topic mate...I disagree with you lets dump it...you read football weekly and the athletic from them who have never kicked a ball in earnest....and I will stick to the old pundits like Souness and Keane.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

We're off Topic mate...I disagree with you lets dump it...you read football weekly and the athletic and I will stick to the old pundits like Souness and Keane.

Good luck with your two banks of four and up and at them, worked in the old days, show me what you got then. 

;) 

Joking aside, fair enough. Off topic, happy to leave it there. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

what has Graeme Souness won as a manager? absolute **** all ruined 3 clubs. Roy Keane failed manager, Gary Neville failed manager, Tim Sherwood failed manager, Paul Merson failed manager, Alan Shearer failed manager, Jamie Carragher no guts to go into management the list goes on. I am no Bielsa fan but at least he is a manager

just because you are a great player doesnt mean your a great manager, i am not going to ask the winning horse from the Grand National for some advice on who the best jockey to bet on is

Haha bit harsh. 

• Like 1

I feel this thread has been a bit harsh to pundits, if I was financially comfortable, had a legacy as player and getting paid a good wage to comment on football matches, I think I’d much rather do that then football manage.

43 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

The watching public is the thing here though TRO. People have changed the way they watch football. They're are people who watch only highlights, get their opinions through twitter, reddit, instagram, facebook etc. I deduce from your posts that you don't do this. Sky target these people through those mediums because the numbers of people subscribing to Sky is falling steadily over the last few years. For this strategy, pundits like Souness and Keane are perfect. They provide the witty comments, soundbites, sometimes fits of rage, enabling Sky to post it to social media to promote their product.

Some of the best pundits on Sky are the unemployed managers e.g. when Benitez or Mourinho are there from the analysis point of view. Their regular pundits are pretty poor when compared to these. If Pep was to do a game, he would wipe the floor with those two for understanding of the game. Deano would too - just to try and get this back on topic in some way.

last time.... I accept that....No I do not use Facebook or twitter....my point is this.

lets just take your average fan who goes to the game every week, season ticket an all......starts around 25 years old and ends up like me 70 at the end of the month.....I have been watching Villa all my life.....every season there is a slight change, the game itself is dynamic, its always changing, it always has, it always will.....we as discerning fans change with it......the game is different now to when i first started watching it...but for all those folk who love the game, ex players, coaches, owners, fans.....we all change with it.

The modern game is as natural for me to watch now as it was when I was watching the European cup final in Rotterdam......and David Beat Goliath on the day, for employing a similar approach to teams who are beating Liverpool now.

In my honest opinion....too much complicated drivel is spoke in some of these analytical weekly's .....buy hey!! its whatever floats your boat.

I was brought up on the Beatles, doesn't stop me liking jason Derulo or Ed Sheeran or Calvin Harris....

" Modern Football" such an enigma.....we should all take a degree in it.

we better get back to Deano, he seems a good student of it.

Edited by TRO

29 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Haha bit harsh. 

it wouldn't be so bad if he didn't dive in one leg and one arm first....the original debate, was nothing to do with Manager v Player, but ho

beter get back on topic.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Dean Smith to his credit, seen enough in the West Ham game, to make the adjustments, for us to play the way we did in the Arsenal Game.

He has to take huge credit for such a turn around....and his insight to see where the change in approach needed to be to get 3 points.

The style was secondary on the day and result first......albeit the touches from Traore, was a delight to any fan of the beautiful game.

I wouldn't say he made adjustments. I think we played better in the West ham game.

Less shots...less possession...difference was  we managed to hold on for a win...just like Southampton.

Cant play like that every week and think we will win.

Edited by Bazmonkey
Spelling

19 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

I wouldn't say he made adjustments. I think we played better in the West ham game.

Less shots...less possession...difference was  we managed to hold on for a win...just like Southampton.

Cant play like that every week and think we will win.

Nah, disagree. We had less posession yes, but I feel like that masks how well we played against Arsenal. We only had 2 shots less than them and we were definitely close to scoring at least one more goal. Traore for example should've scored whilst Arsenal rarely actually seriously tested Martinez.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

2 hours ago, TRO said:

So who knows more about trains Nick....A station Master or a Trainspotter....depends on the context of course.

yes is is about skill sets.....but to say Graeme Souness doesn't know the game now is, well pie in the sky, for me......I don't accept the arguments of talking heads and the like.....they, Sky, would be exposed if such a case could be proved.

He has won European cups for god sake, League Titles.....what has these others won....what has Biesla won, the darling of the modern game?

A place in all of our hearts due to his swashbuckling style of play and his amazing sense of honour letting us score as  he felt the injustice of the moment 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

A place in all of our hearts due to his swashbuckling style of play and his amazing sense of honour letting us score as  he felt the injustice of the moment 

Not in my heart.  It’s foolish football, I love football that is good at both end of the pitch not football that me and my mates played when we were eight years old and all chased the ball and all wanted to attack and not defend.  

I may be in the minority but I love a rock solid defence and then a quality mixed attack.  I think the football Villa play this season is far far better than what Leeds play.  I would think that whether it was Villa or any team.

Leeds only focus on half of the job of football.

Still very thankful to him though in fixing the injustice though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not in my heart.  It’s foolish football, I love football that is good at both end of the pitch not football that me and my mates played when we were eight years old and all chased the ball and all wanted to attack and not defend.  

I may be in the minority but I love a rock solid defence and then a quality mixed attack.  I think the football Villa play this season is far far better than what Leeds play.  I would think that whether it was Villa or any team.

Leeds only focus on half of the job of football.

Still very thankful to him though in fixing the injustice though.

Nor mine 👍

Â