Dean Smith

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

He's just like Martin O'Neill. Same team, same subs.

He is in no way like Martin O'Neill. The players know exactly what they have to do in this team. O'Neill is renowned for naming the team an hour before the game and giving the players no instructions. Smith seems very meticulous in the way he goes about things.

I’m undecided on the subs thing. We looked like we were struggling and needed changes. But then many times over the years, especially last year we made changes and still didn’t hold on. At times it made us worse. The game was played at a very fast pace. Players could struggle to get up to pace and that could have cost us too. 

Subs doesn’t automatically mean you take home the 3 points. Many times this season he hasn’t made the changes and we have still won, just like today. Maybe it’s time fans got over it!

Just now, penguin said:

Why does everything need to be so black and white?

Its the Dean Smith for discussing all things Dean Smith. It’s possible to think he is BOTH doing an excellent job overall and he is too slow or stubborn to make in game changes. Yet there always seems to be an attempt to boil the debate down to: You’re the president of the Dean Smith fan club or you’re just looking for an excuse to moan.

It’s very North Korea stuff on here at times 

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Moaning is one thing. 

Recognising that we will need to rely on other players this season is another...and if our first choice play 90 minutes every time they're not injured,  that need is going to arise more quicker than it would otherwise.

Vindicated by this result, maybe... the VAR decisions were factually correct by the current crap letter of the law, but we were lucky not to concede.

Vindicated by where we finish at the end of the season? Absolutely, but we have to get there first. No need to critizise people for calling out a perceived weakness though.

Why? There is no proof its costing us or will cost us?

There's just a group of fans, whose only tactical opinion is to shout subs, as if making subs always leads to a positive result. Southampton made subs and still lost. We made subs against Burnley and lost. 

30 pts after 19 games. 10 wins. One of the best defences in the league. 

None of this moaning about subs has any vindication yet but it won't stop. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

But they scored zero, and we scored one.

So we won. And you still have a pop at Smith. 

Somenfans are so **** terrible it is unbelievable

Think it's justifiable to criticize Dean Smith, irrelevant that we won the game, you still have to look at the negatives and see what could have been done to improve. Southampton were all over us and we were crying out for new legs. 

A different angle, even in the last minute or two, why not just bung a sub on and run the clock down. I've seen top managers do this all the time, Dean just happy to see off the last few mins tho

Just now, DCJonah said:

Well they all did and we won. So.....

Okay we won and we will all take it ofcourse, but it'll lead to tears towards the end of the season. We were lucky, it wasn't comfortable, the last 20 minutes were hard fought, a couple of subs would have calmed it surely.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m undecided on the subs thing. We looked like we were struggling and needed changes. But then many times over the years, especially last year we made changes and still didn’t hold on. At times it made us worse. The game was played at a very fast pace. Players could struggle to get up to pace and that could have cost us too. 

Subs doesn’t automatically mean you take home the 3 points. Many times this season he hasn’t made the changes and we have still won, just like today. Maybe it’s time fans got over it!

Yeah but we make the subs so late that they have to come on to make an immediate impact. If we made them 5-10 minutes earlier we would have more energy and insurance for if it takes them a few minutes to get upto speed. 

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

Why does everything need to be so black and white?

Its the Dean Smith for discussing all things Dean Smith. It’s possible to think he is BOTH doing an excellent job overall and he is too slow or stubborn to make in game changes. Yet there always seems to be an attempt to boil the debate down to: You’re the president of the Dean Smith fan club or you’re just looking for an excuse to moan.

I just don't get the mindset, to come and moan about something as soon as the game has finished, after a win and an amazing season. Really strange to me.  

• Thanks 1

He can't win can he? If he'd have made changes and we lost, he'd be blamed for disrupting things. 

Considering how far he has taken us in 2 years, I'm prepared to let Dean and his assistants make the decisions as most of the time, they have been spot on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I love this team but it was clear as day that they were creating chances for fun. If we were against any other team in the league right now we would have lost.

I'm being realistic if Smith keeps doing this our players will get injured and we will start dropping games from winning positions. 

At the same time, the set-up, whilst under pressure is working together breaking. 

I can understand calls for change and calls to just keep it the same. 

Shades of grey. Not everything is black and white/right or wrong. 

Just now, supermon said:

Think it's justifiable to criticize Dean Smith, irrelevant that we won the game, you still have to look at the negatives and see what could have been done to improve. Southampton were all over us and we were crying out for new legs. 

A different angle, even in the last minute or two, why not just bung a sub on and run the clock down. I've seen top managers do this all the time, Dean just happy to see off the last few mins tho

We did. Nakamba came on. 

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Moaning is one thing. 

Recognising that we will need to rely on other players this season is another...and if our first choice play 90 minutes every time they're not injured,  that need is going to arise more quicker than it would otherwise.

Vindicated by this result, maybe... the VAR decisions were factually correct by the current crap letter of the law, but we were lucky not to concede.

Vindicated by where we finish at the end of the season? Absolutely, but we have to get there first. No need to critizise people for calling out a perceived weakness though.

It's not like Smith never makes subs ffs - he chose not to in this game and we won, you really shouldn't be so upset over hypothetical situations that didn't happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

Why? There is no proof its costing us or will cost us?

There's just a group of fans, whose only tactical opinion is to shout subs, as if making subs always leads to a positive result. Southampton made subs and still lost. We made subs against Burnley and lost. 

30 pts after 19 games. 10 wins. One of the best defences in the league. 

None of this moaning about subs has any vindication yet but it won't stop. 

It was our biggest flaw last season and it cost us literally last game because mcginn couldn't run more than 5 yards without collapsing.

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah but we make the subs so late that they have to come on to make an immediate impact. If we made them 5-10 minutes earlier we would have more energy and insurance for if it takes them a few minutes to get upto speed. 

Southampton made earlier subs and lost the game. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No more likes but this is exactly where I'm at

4 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

He is in no way like Martin O'Neill. The players know exactly what they have to do in this team. O'Neill is renowned for naming the team an hour before the game and giving the players no instructions. Smith seems very meticulous in the way he goes about things.

Yep Robertson deserved most of the credit for our success

Just now, DCJonah said:

Southampton made earlier subs and lost the game. 

They were in a position from behind and are in an injury crisis. Our only injured players are wesley, Hause and engels (?). I wasn't calling for changes to the centre backs I wanted energy in midfield because we were getting dominated and overrun. 

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Okay we won and we will all take it ofcourse, but it'll lead to tears towards the end of the season. We were lucky, it wasn't comfortable, the last 20 minutes were hard fought, a couple of subs would have calmed it surely.

Like last season when you said we'd get relegated and he should be sacked? Yeah, I might pass on your predictions. 

And we'd have to go on a hell of a bad run for anyone to be upset with this season. 

Â