Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Is there anyone on here that can say with 100% confidence what sub would have made a difference and that making a sub wouldn't have completely unbalanced the team? We've got people calling for Sanson to be brought on. He landed 2 days ago.

I thought McGinn was awful but I was still thinking... Sanson - he's had probably 5 hours training with the squad. Nakamba will be murdered by their pressing. In the end I thought, leave it as it is and pray for a win.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah but we make the subs so late that they have to come on to make an immediate impact. If we made them 5-10 minutes earlier we would have more energy and insurance for if it takes them a few minutes to get upto speed. 

true but they could also weaken the team and we end up dropping points that way. 

Maybe he just doesn’t rate the players on the bench highly enough to bring them on sooner. Let’s see how things go with Sanson. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Smith definitely seems to have a reluctance to use subs for reasons that aren't apparently clear, but it's phenomenal how far we've come in the last 11 months or so. We were dead and buried last March and when we came back from the spring break we still looked dead and buried up (albeit much improved defensively) until the final few games, where we frankly performed a miracle to survive. Now this season we're already close to surpassing last season's entire points total after just 19 games, and all while generally playing excellent football and dominating most teams. Yes tonight was an ugly win but we need to be able to win ugly sometimes.

When you consider where we were 2 years ago, it's a phenomenal transformation. Whether we can keep progressing is of course another matter but right now I'm exceedingly happy with stability in Premier League upper mid-table.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

Is there anyone on here that can say with 100% confidence what sub would have made a difference and that making a sub wouldn't have completely unbalanced the team? We've got people calling for Sanson to be brought on. He landed 2 days ago.

I thought McGinn was awful but I was still thinking... Sanson - he's had probably 5 hours training with the squad. Nakamba will be murdered by their pressing. In the end I thought, leave it as it is and pray for a win.

They weren't pressing at the end. He would have had time space and could break down their moves even if he only cleared it, it would have brought respite. 

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

We were the worst team in the league for conceding goals in the last 15 minutes of games last season. Pretty clear evidence of not making the subs at the right time. 

Wow, never knew football was so easy. 

• Like 1

45 minutes, according to Smith's pre-match interview. No surprise he wasn't brought on, given the game situation it was just never going to happen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Genuine question to those upset by the lack of subs. If he made 2-3 subs but we drew or lost the game. Would you be happier with the manager?

Yes. Absolutely because we could see the game was slipping. Sometimes it doesn't work but it is more likely to succeed when making a sub than waiting for mcginn and barkley to not press letting them create chance after chance. 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's not like Smith never makes subs ffs - he chose not to in this game and we won, you really shouldn't be so upset over hypothetical situations that didn't happen. 

He does never make subs, unless we're behind. He chose not to in our last game and we lost. Swings and roundabouts taking a game in isolation.

And I'm not getting so upset about it, you seem to be getting upset and angry about me questioning whether it will be good for us in the long run, which is a perfectly valid question to ask.

We haven't shithoused a win quite like that for some time and I bloody love it. 

Saints are a very good side with a very good manager, we were never just going to roll up and blow them away. Just look at the absolute state of our record against them. 

We definitely got lucky and it wasn't pretty tonight but those wins are the best wins. Happy days. 

• Like 2

Is there anyone on here that can say with 100% confidence what sub would have made a difference and that making a sub wouldn't have completely unbalanced the team? We've got people calling for Sanson to be brought on. He landed 2 days ago. I thought McGinn was awful but I was still thinking... Sanson - he's had probably 5 hours training with the squad. Nakamba will be murdered by their pressing. In the end I thought, leave it as it is and pray for a win.

I thought similar, surely we should make a change but what do we change. Nakamba would have taken us 10 yards back and if we conceded we needed the players to get another goal.

Back 4 were fine, front 3 were fine. McGinn or Barkley probably the only ones and not convinced it would have helped.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I was thinking if they score now @villalad21 is going to have a field day on Villatalk 🤣 

• Haha 1

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Yes. Absolutely because we could see the game was slipping. Sometimes it doesn't work but it is more likely to succeed when making a sub than waiting for mcginn and barkley to not press letting them create chance after chance. 

Hahaha what the **** are you basing that statement on?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We were the worst team in the league for conceding goals in the last 15 minutes of games last season. Pretty clear evidence of not making the subs at the right time. 

What were the times of the subs in those games we condeded those late goals? 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

But we made subs pretty much every games. It’s this season we haven’t been making subs.

Â